Van buying time again.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

Van buying time again.

Postby boxerscott » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:37 pm

Nope, i have not driven this one alongside 20m of dry stone wall whilst hard on. I am interested in techniques of buying used from Dealers (cash). I am loathe to buy new again as i am not vat registered but what is confusing from most of the on line market dealer sellers is the real selling price of the stuff they purvey. They offer a selling price and then further down the script you see PLUS VAT. A dealer who is vat registered can only charge vat on the profit he makes from selling the used commercial to the would be buyer.

My questions via ebay and dealers own websites on vehicle types i am interested in asking what is the vat inclusive price do not get an email response with vat inclusive price. If they bother to contact me at all it is by phone trying to offer me a deal i can not refuse ie pcp "Hiring" . The last used van i bought from a dealer I negotiated the vat exclusive price. They did not wriggle much.

The NO VAT used commercials that i am interested in confuse the issue further, they still seem just as expensive as the ones subject to vat.

Anyone with good used commercial vehicle buying skills here?

I am thinking buying new is a more transparent game.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

popsky

Re: Van buying time again.

Postby popsky » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:30 am

Hi Chris this should shed some light on the subject.

Used vans come under the same rules as used cars, and if purchased from a registered trader will be described as VAT qualifying or non qualifying.

This will depend how the trader acquired the van. If he purchased from another VAT registered business, then VAT will have been charged on the full selling price and claimed as input tax by the trader. When the trader sells the vehicle, he charges VAT on the full selling price, issues a VAT invoice, and the VAT can be reclaimed as normal input tax by the purchaser - if VAT registered of course. Thats a Qualifying Vehicle.

If on the other hand the vehicle was acquired from a non registered trader or a private individual, no input tax will have been reclaimed by the trader. When he sells the vehicle, he does not issue a VAT invoice, and the purchaser cannot recover any VAT. The trader pays VAT on the margin between buying and selling. That is a non-qualifying vehicle.

If the purchase is from a private individual, VAT doesn't come into it at all. However, if any VAT registered business (not just a motor trader) sells a vehicle for more than it originally paid for it, VAT is accountable under the margin scheme. (The VATman by the way only wants a cut of the profits - the losses are all yours!)

This is a handy tool https://www.gov.uk/vat-vehicle-sales
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 pm

Cheers Phil, that is bang on the money and fully understood. I am also interested in a van being sold privately by a seller levying 20pc vat. The van has had two owners, the seller seems very amenable and has agreed to show me the purchase invoice when he bought it to prove that he has to levy the full 20pc on the agreed deal.

At the end of the day confusion is compounded by dealers and private sellers selling "no vat" vans at what appear to be vat inclusive prices and the obsession of dealers wanting to lease you a van rather than negotiate with a cash buyer. If I were vat registered (and not from Yorkshire) I would be a little more understanding that not everyone is trying to rip me off!!

Thanks.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:15 pm

[quote="boxerscott]

At the end of the day confusion is compounded by dealers and private sellers selling "no vat" vans at what appear to be vat inclusive prices I would be a little more understanding that not everyone is trying to rip me off!!

Thanks.

Chris[/quote]

That is deffo a rip off, but there’s always plenty more fish
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:18 pm

I’ve leased my Tranny Custom, I know I don’t have an asset after 5 years but the difference in loan to lease payments is in my favour, I’ve another 2 years then I’ll consider either releasing this one or get a new van, by then I’ll be 58 so may just say f**k it and be like Paul & Archie lol
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:34 am

Go for one with ‘snooze control’ - doesn’t matter what make.........

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxerbanter”