Interesting statistics

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

Interesting statistics

Postby boxerscott » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:31 am

Talking over breakfast with the missus about a scene from the book she is reading, (grapes of wrath) we started to generally compare what 30`s life in Britain may have been like compared to USA, in particular the highway service areas, the age of the car and appliances and just how far behind Britain would have been in this area. So I googled and this topic caught my eye. I suppose we are not to be surprised at the amount of vehicles on today's roads and number of fatalities but these would have certainly surprised Mr Belisha.

Incidentally we still have an operational Belisha beacon in Jedburgh. It adds an air of romanticism to our historic high street on these dour evenings.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -hogs.html
Last edited by boxerscott on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Blackal

Re: Interesting statistics

Postby Blackal » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:03 pm

What surprised me - from articles I read last year, was how many road fatalities the Americans were suffering, and prepared to put up with..............

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/12/13/ ... ic-deaths/

Put down to laws at state level, prescribing seat belts/lap belts/none, together with the 'freedom' nature of the culture.

BUT - God help you if you get caught lane-changing without indicating ! :roll:

Perhaps a death on the road also doesn't have the same intrinsic cost to authorities (tax-payers) as it does in UK - so the authorities say..... "So what?"

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxerbanter”