Garmin Basecamp

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

User avatar Great Britain
Boxermed69

Re: Garmin Basecamp

Postby Boxermed69 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:13 pm

+1 for MRA. Even the free version is good. The only slight let down is the moderate faff of converting 'track' to 'trip' - and that's down to the Garshite. I've found this is the way to get the best out of a Garmin. Trying to plan a route using the device itself is just painful :x

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

User avatar England
milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:30 am

SP250 wrote:Glad its not just me then.

Tried Phil's link and set up an account (or tried to), it still hasn't sent me the log in activating email yet, so I guess I can discount that one as well.

I just had a thought - a printed map doesn't have all this shit to deal with, so I've written the road numbers and towns I need on a piece of paper and stuck it into the window on my tankbag!
Sundays ride to Pontefract through the Derbyshire Dales is now sorted with out electronic bollocks.

I really am getting well versed in being a GOM!

I did notice when I first registered with Tourstart that the activation eMail took a while to come through - I was in no rush to use it though, so it didn't bother me at the time. I mailed Jan the other day asking about the delay, just got this reply from him -

"Hi Pete
Thanks for you kind mail and your support - and sorry for the long delay. I have had some days off in regards to Easter here in Denmark. I will discuss this with the developers tomorrow and let you know.
Best regards,
Jan Agnoletti Pedersen
jap@tourstart.org
+45 42 550 660
"

So, hopefully, it's something that will get sorted in the near future.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Found this video made it a lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqz5eqZrLo

Great Britain
boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Excellent Rant John, very much enjoyed it. I have pretty much given up with planning a route , it can often lead to disappointment, road works , de tours etc. have a rough idea where you want to go, i have these paper books called maps. Put the hotel post code into sat nav when i get lost just to rescue my marital status. Ha as someone on here has told me everyone of my rides is an adventure. Seen some brilliant roads and witnessed places i never dreamt to go to as well.

Chris
I am the Village Green Preservation Society. God Bless Strawberry Jam and all it`s variety.

User avatar Wales
slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:36 am

after spending a couple of evenings "playing" with Basecamp again for the WW route, I've gotten again used to its idiosyncratic interface :)

Life would be simpler if it had the simple, intuitive interface that Google maps has but sadly no. Even something as simple as adding a shaping point is a tad cumbersome. In google you just drag the route to the preferred routing, in Basecamp you have to create a waypoint, add the waypoint to the route, tell the waypoint to be silent and not announce arrival. I guess it's just a question of Google maps setting the ease of use bar high :)
--
Steve Parry
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

User avatar Scotland
Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:19 am

I must admit, that it is around 12months between route creations - for me,

But - You can still do that “stretchy-elastic thing” to modify the route (just like you could do with the old Mapsource).

Can’t remember how exactly right now - but there are a heap of Youtubers who cover it.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

England
SP250

Postby SP250 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:03 am

Al

That sounds like me - pins in a big map on the wall, then "stretchy elastic" around them to show the route...........sorted.
John M

User avatar Wales
slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 am

hobbit wrote:Found this video made it a lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqz5eqZrLo

that did help, thanks :)
--
Steve Parry
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxerbanter”