Thinking again of moving to the dark side

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

Thinking again of moving to the dark side

Postby boxerscott » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 pm

Anyone on here owning a Harley? having dabbled with a jap cruiser in the past and wishing I had bought a hog even though i knew i had bought a better motorcycle... leaves me still wanting to tick the harley box. I had a buell powered by the 1203cc thunderstorm engine which I liked very much but am now liking the new soft tail big engined street bobs. Not sure it is a hipster thing but i do like riding by big shop windows and looking at my reflection thinking i am cool. Surely a hog is better for this than a everyday GS? or equivalent mobility scooter?

:D

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

dave the german

Re: Thinking again of moving to the dark side

Postby dave the german » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:40 am

Chris, read this when you're sober :wink:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:01 am

slow, noisy, poor build quality, unreliable, atrocious support, camp..... and to make things worse you have to dress up like a pirate :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

popsky

Postby popsky » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:51 am

And tassels are obligatory along with chaps although I could see you in those :mrgreen:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:40 pm

:snorting: :tongue3: [smilie=hmm.gif] [smilie=mf_hide.gif] [smilie=yucky.gif] [smilie=dont care.gif] [smilie=stop here.gif]
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

popsky

Postby popsky » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Paul wrote::snorting: :tongue3: [smilie=hmm.gif] [smilie=mf_hide.gif] [smilie=yucky.gif] [smilie=dont care.gif] [smilie=stop here.gif]

After that reaction I’ll leave my chaps at home for the johnny5 Yorkshire trip :D
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:10 pm

Somebody hacked his account :shock:

Al

Postby Al » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Chris, before you do anything get yourself booked into the Lion @ Criccieth next May for a group counselling session in the bar!!!

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:16 pm

Don't do it Chris ! I have to admit that recently while travelling in a straight line at the posted speed limit of 50mph on my Wee Strom I was overtaken by a Harley :shock: In his rush to get past me he clipped a catseye or a roadmarking and for a moment I was thinking "I wish I'd done that FBOS course" The bike almost went into a tank slapper but luckily corrected itself...So maybe, if you're just going to be posing in windows , do it but if you're going to actually ride it maybe not!

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Harleys don't do it for me personally, but...

They sound good and they have an image that the clones just don't match. A good friend of mine came back to biking last year and bought a Tiger 800, then he signed up for a Harley-equipped tour in the USA (California, Arizona, Nevada). He came back smitten with the big Harley, but not sure he could justify one, so he plumped for a BMW K1600 with Harley-style footboards fitted - I've seen smaller cruise liners. It has presence, certainly, is powerful, very quick and comfortable, undeniably, but I think he still really wants a Harley.

About 12 years ago, I was riding my Aprilia Falco down one of my favourite twisty roads, not hanging about (or so I thought), when I could see a Harley Sportster catching me. It caught me, went past and I couldn't keep up. The rider was soooo smooth, and it just didn't look hurried. Bend swinging like a good un. So I realised two things: 1) a well-ridden Harley is a thing of beauty 2) I was a crap rider and needed advanced training.

What about blagging one for a day/weekend test to see if it's really what you want? And if it is, go for it. You only live once (and you waited 4 billion years for your go), and it is two wheels and an engine.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Grip Fast wrote:Harleys don't do it for me personally, but...
What about blagging one for a day/weekend test to see if it's really what you want? And if it is, go for it. You only live once (and you waited 4 billion years for your go), and it is two wheels and an engine.
That is the sensible thing to do, I was down in leeds week last Saturday and had an hour or two to kill before a wedding, being close to HD I popped in for a pleasant hour, I was just browsing the used stock. Have had a good look at owners reviews and common complaints are supported on here re build quality. It is an enthusiasm spurred by the whole retro scene and the used Harleys seem to be looking good value.

We`ll see. Surprisingly no one has yet come forward saying they have owned one.

Yes to Criccieth next year we are planning around that.

Edit Yes also to the influence of some super good triple hopped APA

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Al

Postby Al » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Chris, there is a HD subsection on UKGSER as a few on the site own or have owned them, might get a less biased view than from a pure HD forum, you may have to subscribe to post on forum(£12)

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:36 am

Al wrote:Chris, there is a HD subsection on UKGSER as a few on the site own or have owned them, might get a less biased view than from a pure HD forum, you may have to subscribe to post on forum(£12)

Al.

Chris is from Yorkshire
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 am

Someone once said that 90% of all the Harleys ever built were still on the road. The other 10% made it home :D :D :D :bounce: :bounce:
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Make sure there is a dental practice at each destination to get fillings shaken out during the ride replaced.
10 KTM RC8

Return to “Boxerbanter”