insurance blues

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

ted

insurance blues

Postby ted » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:07 pm

Been with BMW Motorrad insurance for the last few years. First blow came last year when a neighbour reversed into my parked car, even though his insurance company accepted full liability straight away, BMW charged me a £50 premium for the offence and administration charge for an accident which had nothing to do with me! (even with my protected no claims)

Renewal just arrived and its gone up £70!

Guess they don't want me anymore - anyone had a similar experience?

milleplod

Re: insurance blues

Postby milleplod » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:07 am

The renewal might have gone up irrespective of the no-fault bump, it's what insurers do.

I had a prang in France a while back, not my fault, it happened in the final week or so of that year's cover - I was with the AA at the time. The way they dealt with the accident was faultless, although it took forever for it to be finalised....ie for the French insurer to reimburse my insurer. That meant that the accident went against me until it was 'settled'. At renewal, a week after the prang, I expected my premium to go sky high - it went up by about £30, but the AA said that as soon as the claim was settled, I'd be refunded the extra premium that had been applied. I did do the usual shopping around before renewing - interestingly, I was getting quotes of around my 'usual' premium of £70/80, even though I'd declared the still-unsettled accident.

I stayed with the AA though - the £30-ish was duly refunded, as promised. The bump's still on my record, as it were, and it doesn't seem to affect either my bike or car premiums. I'd say it's time for you to do some shopping around - loyalty only goes so far!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Al

Postby Al » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:36 am

As Pete says you get nothing for being loyal to a brand these days, If you do end up shopping around give BeMoto a call. Different levels of cover you can tailor it to suit you, no charges for midterm changes, if you say you saw them advertised on a 44 teeth video you will get extra discount. I was with bikesure for a couple of years, they were fine but I got better cover from BeMoto for the same price.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:41 pm

ted wrote:Been with BMW Motorrad insurance for the last few years. First blow came last year when a neighbour reversed into my parked car, even though his insurance company accepted full liability straight away, BMW charged me a £50 premium for the offence and administration charge for an accident which had nothing to do with me! (even with my protected no claims)

Renewal just arrived and its gone up £70!

Guess they don't want me anymore - anyone had a similar experience?
Ted, what "offence" did you commit ?

I think we have all learned lessons from claims. My advice is, if you bump into someone and they are not around, no cctv... do a runner. If the knock is on private ground and not a highway then you are not generally bound by the road traffic act. If they are around do not admit it was your fault. It does not pay to be straight as the one receiving the damage will go to the most expensive repair shop and the first question asked is "insurance job sir" Kerrr ching! Body repair shops are milking the punters because generally the insurance company is paying. It has been said on here before insurance business is about collecting premiums and managing paying out.

Shop around always.

Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

ted

Postby ted » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:00 pm

my offence was to park my car on the public road outside my house. Good neighbour who lives opposite reversed into my car - he couldn't have done more to remedy the situation but the damage meant a new door hence the insurance involvement

life goes on!

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:55 pm

I get it , you feel you are being punished for your neighbours dodgy reversing . Mate I`d move afore he mows a person down!

You live to fight another day.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:16 am

Al wrote:As Pete says you get nothing for being loyal to a brand these days, If you do end up shopping around give BeMoto a call. Different levels of cover you can tailor it to suit you, no charges for midterm changes, if you say you saw them advertised on a 44 teeth video you will get extra discount. I was with bikesure for a couple of years, they were fine but I got better cover from BeMoto for the same price.

Al.

Touch wood, no mishaps, but... I've been with Bennetts for a few years, and last December I negotiated away a big rise in my 2-bike policy so stayed with them. This year the renewal quote was over 33% up again, so I asked on another bike forum, and BeMoto was suggested.

Gave them a call and found them to be friendly and knowledgeable, and came in with a price about £50 less than last year and £150 less than Bennetts renewal for this year. Key points that helped were that I've owned both bikes for several years, so know them well and that I have passed IAM bike test (other advanced riding tests are available). And they told me what each bike was costing me - R1200S was only £59. Includes RAC rescue, protected no claims, and several other extras.

Not sure what they'll be like for a claim, but I'll do my best never to find out. I liked Bennetts, but price is important too.

Return to “Boxerbanter”