Pleasant Surprises on my recent R1100S purchase

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

jeznewsome

Pleasant Surprises on my recent R1100S purchase

Postby jeznewsome » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:23 pm

My recent R1100S purchase has been pushing back at me on occasions when doing a little work on it. A previous owner replacing some fasteners with dome head stainless fasteners in a number of places - bloody things have reduced depth smaller allen key heads, which combined with a complete lack to anti-seize mean that even with my tightest allen keys they have been fighting me when trying to remove them.......so far had to 'extract' a couple and also drill one out. Bloody things.

But having taken some time out riding it yesterday it does go well, reminding me of why I liked my first one and the laser exhaust sounds nice too.

The pleasant surprise today was just checking the rear tyre size (prior to ordering a replacement) to find it's a 180/55 (good job I checked as I was going to order a 170). So looks like I have the wider rear rim too :D.

And after noting some carbon underneath the rear of the tank I've just had a look under the left hand side of the plastics and it looks like a carbon inlet tube too (Lennies?) :D, might also explain the fruity noise from the bike.

nab 301

Re: Pleasant Surprises on my recent R1100S purchase

Postby nab 301 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:04 pm

I've regularly fallen in and out of love with my 11s over the years ( or is it decades :shock: ) . But this time of year I always tend to put up a lot of miles on it , it must be the lower temperatures , it just seems to run so much better and smoother. In recent years I've fitted a lennies and the induction noise and performance when the throttle is rolled open in any gear is just addictive. ( Riding an Enfield bullet for the previous couple of days does help too I guess :oops: )

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:03 pm

nab 301 wrote:I've regularly fallen in and out of love with my 11s over the years ( or is it decades :shock: ) . But this time of year I always tend to put up a lot of miles on it , it must be the lower temperatures , it just seems to run so much better and smoother. In recent years I've fitted a lennies and the induction noise and performance when the throttle is rolled open in any gear is just addictive. ( Riding an Enfield bullet for the previous couple of days does help too I guess :oops: )

I went out on my R12S yesterday, for the first time in several weeks. It was blooming cold, but she ran sweet as a nut and pulled like a train - it didn't seem like the same bike. I think the cold, denser air supplies more oxygen into the mix. Brilliant run!

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:24 pm

my garage arrangement means my BCR is at the back of the garage and entails moving the RT and the K1 out of the way to get it out. However, every time I do it reminds me how awesome fun the 11s's are. Sure it may only be 98 hp but its handling and delivery just make it fun. In real terms circa 100 hp is all you need to have the giggle factor :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:57 pm

Glad you are enjoying it .

Why don't folk use copper slip or never seize on bikes in UK ???

If you ride them in winter, the roads are shite with salt and grit , just makes sense to me .

My axle spindles are greased , foot peg pivots , pretty much every thing that moves .

Its just normal practice to smear copper slip on any threads .
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:15 pm

Not on wheel bolts though ... :shock:

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:59 pm

Grip Fast wrote:
nab 301 wrote:I've regularly fallen in and out of love with my 11s over the years ( or is it decades :shock: ) . But this time of year I always tend to put up a lot of miles on it , it must be the lower temperatures , it just seems to run so much better and smoother. In recent years I've fitted a lennies and the induction noise and performance when the throttle is rolled open in any gear is just addictive. ( Riding an Enfield bullet for the previous couple of days does help too I guess :oops: )

I went out on my R12S yesterday, for the first time in several weeks. It was blooming cold, but she ran sweet as a nut and pulled like a train - it didn't seem like the same bike. I think the cold, denser air supplies more oxygen into the mix. Brilliant run!

I think the colder denser air thing really works on Carburettor fed engines rather than injected - With injected engines its probably a combination of damper (denser air) and the lower temperature being picked up by the air temp sensor and delivering more fuel the same effect as the gizmo thing you can buy to fool the air temp sensor (an Accelerator Module I think it was called)
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:01 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:
Grip Fast wrote:
nab 301 wrote:I )

!

I think the colder denser air thing really works on Carburettor fed engines rather than injected - )

Feel free to explain to my pea sized brain :wink: I'm familiar with iat sensors on injected engines but surely unless the carbed engine is running too rich or too hot or both, cold denser air won't improve performance unless of course its turbocharged? :shock:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:49 pm

Feel free to explain to my pea sized brain :wink: I'm familiar with iat sensors on injected engines but surely unless the carbed engine is running too rich or too hot or both, cold denser air won't improve performance unless of course its turbocharged? :shock:

All I know is that when I was a younger man my CB 200 went better on a summer evening when the dew had started to form than it did during the hot dry daytime and that was down to damper denser air.

found this on line
Do Cars Run Better In Cold Weather? Cold Temperatures and Engine Performance
Cooler air is more dense and allows your engine to push more oxygen into the cylinders. This will allow for more fuel to be burned, creating slightly better performance.

Also SAAB experimented with Water Injection into the inlet manifold on carburettor engines, to get more bang for your petrol buck,before we all went injected back in 1993.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Yes, cold denser air contains more oxygen molecules which allow you to burn more fuel efficiently giving higher bhp, or so I’m told. I do think the 12S runs sweetly on these cold damp days
10 KTM RC8

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 am

The IAT sensor affects the mixture for sure. When the air is cold (and therefore dense) the ECU compensates by adding fuel otherwise the engine will run lean. The various-coloured 'tuning caps' for the R1100S probably apply a modifier to the IAT compensation table, along with other tables. There are a whole load of compensation tables in the average ECU, I don't profess to know even a small part of it but it was of great interest to me about 10yrs ago when I built my landspeed bike.

Return to “Boxerbanter”