Flip Lids ...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Blackal

Re: Flip Lids ...

Postby Blackal » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:19 pm

2Twins wrote:I currently use a Shark Evo one two. It’s great but needs two hands to close the chin piece - perhaps I got one of the faulty ones (was bought discounted at the Scottish Bike Show last year)? Otherwise, no complaints and I’m happy with it. Replacement visors are quite expensive though. The chin piece does lock behind the helmet too, which is quite pleasant when riding gently, and when the weather permits.

I used a BMW System flip up lid a few decades ago - it was excellent, and allowed much better peripheral vision than a subsequent and disappointing Caberg. The Shark is still not as good in this respect either.

I’ll probably look at BMW helmets when I replace the Shark.

I wouldn’t go back to a non-flip helmet though,

Cheers
2Twins

I got the same one, a couple of years ago, to be my ‘holiday helmet’ - quite pleased with it, and manage to open and close/secure it with one hand.

I think it was the run-out model, which had all the upgrades of the new model, but without the new paint schemes. It was a bargain for sure.

System 6 was, I think - the first BMW flip lid that lost that nose-heavy attitude - and the Sys 7 is super-comfortable.

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/shark- ... et-ch01130 Cheap deal.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

slparry

Re: Flip Lids ...

Postby slparry » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:14 pm

andy griff wrote:IIRC the BMW helmet connects to other BMW comms but is fussy over other types

BMW are now doing a universal "Fit for All" comms unit for about £130 I think it's a rebadged Sena I believe and fits most helmets and is very slim fitting, I believe it also connects to plenty of other units in intercom mode.

Part of the problem as I understand it is the Bluetooth stack was set with much compatiblity between devices but intercoms were not ratified leaving manufacturers to tweak the standards hence the varying standards. It's now starting to settle and more interoperation is becoming evident.

I have the BMW fit for all on one of my lids and it's a nice piece of kit
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxerbanter”