Another prang....

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

milleplod

Another prang....

Postby milleplod » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:03 pm

My lovely, early RT was written off last week - an HGV turned right across my path....BANG! :shock: Kin ell, I spent 15 mins staring into space, unable to move my arms or legs, which was terrifying, to put it mildly. My limbs gradually resumed normal service, and the subsequent CT scan showed no bone damage, it was a compression of my spine that caused things to 'switch off' for a bit. I've been left with a few grazes and bruises, and a horrible tingling (think pins and needles x 100!) in both arms and hands, fine control of my fingers is a bit iffy and the skin on my hands and lower arms is super-sensitive. I've also got ringing in my ears.....and I ache all over. I'm really surprised I didn't break anything!

The driver never even spoke to me, it seemed ages till someone else came to me lying on the road, quite a lonely feeling that! Anyway, the police attended, driver being done for a due care and I'm now back home mending. I've already started the hunt for a new bike, with a budget of £7-8k. Do I go for a late aircooled RT, or an early watercooled one.....?? :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

jeznewsome

Re: Another prang....

Postby jeznewsome » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Eeeek :shock:

I hope you are fully back up to speed and the tingly bits settle down soon

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:40 pm

Wow, glad to hear you are recovering Pete!!
Close call there by the sound of it. Hope the recovery is speedy
10 KTM RC8

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:38 pm

Good to hear you're on the road to recovery.
Can't really make any recommendation re bikes, although personally would go for LC over air-cooled, just relieved you are able to tell the tale.

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:56 pm

As above - the bike can be repaired/replaced. As long as you're OK. I'm with Ian on the LC. I think I met a solicitor who either knows you or knows of you - ex traffic cop now solicitor - ring any bells?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Glad to hear you are on the mend Pete. Good luck in your search for a replacement bike. What about a rufty-tufty GS instead of the RT? The RS is a cracking bike too, if you can live with the sportier seating position compared to the RT.

All the best,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:55 pm

OMG Pete, thats horrendous but how the hell have you not broken or fractured anything ? Fantastic result if all your 'tingling' settles down and you are soon once again 'deft' with your fingers :D

I can't believe the driver never attempted to see if you were alright, alive, breathing, in pain, anything ! Beggars belief but then he may have been in shock and also embarrassed at his actions which obviously caused the accident.

Shame about your bike but you'll soon get over that when you are fully fit and get a sniff of a replacement bike :bounce:

Now be a good patient and do what you are told :lol:

All the best and keep us up to date on your recovery :wink:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:03 pm

Glad you're ok ..driver not cited for failure render assistance ?
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:19 pm

My God that sounds terrible. Really glad to hear you are on the mend, what a horrible experience.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Dave

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm

Good heavens, firstly as Dr.John says "be a good patient" If tingling and lack of feeling continue I would urge to go back and get checked over again. It is a possibility they may have missed something. Amanda had those symptoms years ago and eventually after been nagged to get it checked out she was straight into hospital for an op on a disc rebuild it was pressing against the spinal chord.

New bike, LC without any doubt. Personally, (and speaking from experience) i would suggest test riding all the 1200 lc`s Far better engine than the brilliant hex head it replaced.

Bad luck :(

Take care.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Al

Postby Al » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:10 am

Glad to hear you are on the mend Pete, sounds pretty scary.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:02 pm

My God, that sounds terrifying. What a total dick that driver is, not to come and make sure you are ok. Apart from shock he would’ve been unharmed sat in his cab.
In the movies the rider would lay the bike on its side, slide under the trailer before coming upright again shouting ‘Yehaaa!’ Heal fast Pete.
Regarding the bike, get one straight from the showroom. The latest engine etc. which is so much better than previous years.
Yeah, I saw the budget. PCP is your friend!

Al

Postby Al » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Hope you are on the mend Pete, I think you said you were a missile man, just wondered if you were part of this in 88 for Red Nose Day at North Coates.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1830

Al.
Attachments
D2F2BC24-BF27-464E-8401-C3EE25B0154C.jpeg
D2F2BC24-BF27-464E-8401-C3EE25B0154C.jpeg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 8736 times
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

simon

Postby simon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:15 pm

@Al.. I saw the picture first and before reading expected you say "this is what we need to carry against such drivers" :wink:

@Pete.. I winced reading what happened.. Big solid vehicles don't make for a comfortable sudden stop.
Simon, now with a third
Yellow '98 R1100S
(..a bit more gimpy tho' [smilie=crutch.gif])

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:51 pm

Al wrote:Hope you are on the mend Pete, I think you said you were a missile man, just wondered if you were part of this in 88 for Red Nose Day at North Coates.

http://boxertrix.com/phpBB2/download/fi ... ew&id=1830

Al.

Hi Al.

Yes, I was on 85 Sqn at North Coates, but I left the RAF in '80 - the only Bloodhounds I ever saw were all matt drab olive, even the 'show' one was green, albeit gloss! :lol: I had a ride over to the place last year, all the married quarters are still there, and quite a few of the original buildings, including the station headquarters, NAAFI and accomodation blocks - it's some sort of missionary training place now, 'New Tribes Mission' I think it's called. Oh, and another jaunt out last year with my daughter took us to see the taxiing Lancaster at the The Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre - in the hangar they've got RAF North Coates' original station gates on display! Happy days! :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “Boxerbanter”