A second romance

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Al

Re: A second romance

Postby Al » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:29 pm

I quite like the idea of one of these in the garage, lighter but less power than the GS, more go than the XT, a nice compromise maybe? Gets good reviews.
6E1CDDD4-2F35-4F01-9B09-865BC7AD5F29.jpeg
6E1CDDD4-2F35-4F01-9B09-865BC7AD5F29.jpeg (369.34 KiB) Viewed 6785 times
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:10 pm

Al, That will not be the worst thing you can do. Amanda and I sloped off after we put a shift in this morning. We went to Thirsk in Nyorks to have gorgeous fish and chips amongst other things like me taking a couple of Andy`s Guzzis out at Teasdale Bikes. I rode a v7111 Storm and the more gutsy powerful V85.

GuzziChris - 1.jpeg
GuzziChris - 1.jpeg (541.94 KiB) Viewed 6768 times

I was not overwhelmed with either bike but neither was I underwhelmed. Guzzi under Piaggio have progressed and the bikes are not phoney like some middleweight competitors. They are impressive in build quality and you know you are riding something special and different from the mainstream adventure/sport crowd. For my half hour ride up to Sutton Bank and back the V85 put a smile on my face. It was shod with Knobbly tyres , it looks great and has all the mumbo anyone can use on the road. Engine braking and steering was predictable. A polished motorcycle no doubt about it. The Elephant in the room is Amanda. She says she would not be seen dead on it cos it would look like a common GS with those awful metal box panniers. The bike otherwise looks great. I would only miss the Bmw integrated sat nav. Guzzi have not done this.
Both bikes certainly put a smile on my face. I will not be selling my R1200r lc even though I feel that the V85 will be equally satisfying for touring and everyday riding . The gold and black colour scheme imo is the best, it looks great without the stereotype awful disgusting metal box panniers that all adventure rider wannabe`s have.

Test ride one Al see for yourself. My problem is which other Guzzi to buy, a third bike. The racer 111 is out unless i import, The Bobber sport looks so cool, I like the V85 very very much.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Al

Postby Al » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:04 am

Chris, A lot of guys on the GS Forum have got the V85 and really like like them, the difference in performance is a factor but not a big problem once you adapt, and I am already used to that with the bikes I have at the moment. To satisfy Amanda’s box issue, one of the adventure soft luggage suppliers, possibly Kriega, had one kitted out on their stand at the Excel show, looked ok.
Just had the GS shocks serviced and lowered to help manageability so will stick with it for a while, and I have just spent a lot of money on a panel van conversion camper so no more toys for while :cry:

Al.
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Suzuki VanVan 125

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:21 am

The V85 would be my choice from the current Guzzi line up. That yellow and white colour scheme is very stylish IMHO.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Steve h

Postby Steve h » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:11 am

I've had my Red/White V85TT for 15mnts now. Absolutely love it. There are times when I would still like a little more grunt, but overall the 80bhp really suits the bike. I've done a couple of camping trips (with big metal boxes :D ) to Scotland, I don't travel light, and it's been great. Two up is fine, if there's just two of you, but I think two up and luggage could perhaps overwhelm it a little. I've had a lot of bikes over the last 50 years and I think this is my favourite, I just love riding it.
I also have a 2017 R1200r sport and have recently acquired a very very nice Mamola 1100s.(not in my possession yet) Despite being a fantastic bike I think the R1200r will most probably go. As I've said, fantastic bike, but I do find it a little bit bland.
Back on a Boxer

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:51 am

Steve H, you sound like a man with good taste! My 1200r just gets looked at as a tool to tour around Spain on. If I were to be honest and were 6ft plus I am pretty sure i would be riding a tall adventure Sport bike of some kind. Probably one...reduced in price...then further reduced.

Al, Good work with the camper conversion, have you welded a rig on the back for a Scooter? (Road king /Dyna Glyde variety) I thought the UK GSER fraternity would be dialled in to the merits of the Guzzi "compact"

Boxer Cup R (John)

John, Andy at Teasdales seemed to vaguely recollect you. I told of a nice, quiet, shy and retiring lad who has migrated to the Tribes in the North :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT. I am busy looking to see if Louis Vuitton do some nice italian leather side bags for the "Goosie"

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Steve h

Postby Steve h » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Boxerscott... I think I was one of the first folk in the country to order a V85, but had to wait awhile as I wanted the Red/White rather than Yellow/White. I was going to Scotland only a couple of weeks after picking up the bike and the only option at the time was the alloy panniers. I got mine from Teasdales, had a fair few bikes from them over the years and always found them fair. Anyway I digress, back to panniers. A few weeks before lockdown I was in Teasdales, they had a V85 which was prepped for delivery with a set of soft panniers. I can't remember what make they were but they looked really good on the bike. I think Allan had sold the bike so he may recall what make they were.
Back on a Boxer

Al

Postby Al » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Steve h, was that the rep on UKGser (Sloaney)? I like the colour I posted or the red/white for the v85.

Chris, towbar will be fitted ASAP for trailer and XT or cycle rack, may be venturing your way in Sept with the new van, too bloody busy in Devon!!
Also temped to come back for the Moffat w/end, probably not to ride, not sure I want to try to put GS on a trailer and XT may be a slow for keeping up, are there any campsites nearby?

Al.
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Suzuki VanVan 125

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:19 pm

boxerscott wrote:Al, That will not be the worst thing you can do. Amanda and I sloped off after we put a shift in this morning. We went to Thirsk in Nyorks to have gorgeous fish and chips amongst other things like me taking a couple of Andy`s Guzzis out at Teasdale Bikes. I rode a v7111 Storm and the more gutsy powerful V85.

GuzziChris - 1.jpeg

I was not overwhelmed with either bike but neither was I underwhelmed. Guzzi under Piaggio have progressed and the bikes are not phoney like some middleweight competitors. They are impressive in build quality and you know you are riding something special and different from the mainstream adventure/sport crowd. For my half hour ride up to Sutton Bank and back the V85 put a smile on my face. It was shod with Knobbly tyres , it looks great and has all the mumbo anyone can use on the road. Engine braking and steering was predictable. A polished motorcycle no doubt about it. The Elephant in the room is Amanda. She says she would not be seen dead on it cos it would look like a common GS with those awful metal box panniers. The bike otherwise looks great. I would only miss the Bmw integrated sat nav. Guzzi have not done this.
Both bikes certainly put a smile on my face. I will not be selling my R1200r lc even though I feel that the V85 will be equally satisfying for touring and everyday riding . The gold and black colour scheme imo is the best, it looks great without the stereotype awful disgusting metal box panniers that all adventure rider wannabe`s have.

Test ride one Al see for yourself. My problem is which other Guzzi to buy, a third bike. The racer 111 is out unless i import, The Bobber sport looks so cool, I like the V85 very very much.

Chris

Looking good on that Guzzi Chris Mate :wink: Decisions decisions eh :?:

Fish 'n' Chips from The White Horse cafe in the Market place where you are in the pic ?
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Hmm that V85 does look rather nice, always liked something a bit different and its not another bloody GS (sorry GS owners although I have been one of those!!) Might just have to have ride upto Thirsk and give it a try.

Peter.

Steve h

Postby Steve h » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:46 pm

Al wrote:Steve h, was that the rep on UKGser (Sloaney)? I like the colour I posted or the red/white for the v85.

Al.

It certainly was Al. Picking up Tuesday. Long time since I've been this excited to pick up a new bike, and I usually do it 4or5 times a year.
Back on a Boxer

Steve h

Postby Steve h » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:09 pm

herrman wrote:Hmm that V85 does look rather nice, always liked something a bit different and its not another bloody GS (sorry GS owners although I have been one of those!!) Might just have to have ride upto Thirsk and give it a try.

Peter.

To cut a long story short, I had a bit of a year with bikes the year before last and ended up in possession of a 2017 GS Triple black at the time I took delivery of my V85.I thought it would be interesting to have them both for a while as a sort of comparison. I had them both at the same time for about 10 weeks, I was not sorry to see the GS go. Nothing wrong with it, it was a very good bike, had all the bells and whistles, but just didn't float my boat.

It's a bit like the R1200R,same year as the GS but in my opinion a much nicer bike to ride, but still, it doesn't really light my fire. I'm hoping the 1100s is going to fulfill that need, as does the V85. It'll be nice to have some proper indicators again, and to be able to set the clock and trip meter at the push of a button rather than having to attempt to scroll through several different menus, and then usually give up. Did I mention I'm chuffing useless with technology. :?
Back on a Boxer

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:23 pm

Bought my GS1200 back in 2005/6 after i had written off my 2nd 1100s, Just did'nt float my boat, a fine bike but just not for me.

Steve h

Postby Steve h » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:19 pm

I Picked up the Mamola this afternoon, I'd forgotten what a cracking bike the 1100s is. I had floods of reminiscence, absolutely planted, proper indicators and that lovely overtaking grunt. I Never felt as tough I needed to overtake everything in sight, but got back home 40mins quicker than my daughter who was in her car. It was 97miles back home, it took me about 5 miles to feel at home again on the bike. On arriving home I'd experienced some neck ache, the biggest problem was my peripheral vision. I think I'm going to need to lift the bars above the fork clamp. ( is there a 'how to' thread ?) I've bought it purely for high days and dry days. At 65 I ain't going to be touring Scotland on it, I've other stuff for that, but I am going to use it. I've never babied a bike in my life, but I'm going to try and nurture this one, until I sell it of course. It's good to be back.
Back on a Boxer

Al

Postby Al » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:46 pm

Pretty easy to raise bars, just don’t loosen yoke clamps without supporting front of bike. You may have to get new brake lines a couple of inches longer, some people need to, others are ok. I took the opportunity to put a line direct to each calliper and ditch the splitter pipe on the front mudguard.

Al.
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Suzuki VanVan 125

Return to “Boxerbanter”