Should I shxt can my Spain tour end of Sep /Oct?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

Should I shxt can my Spain tour end of Sep /Oct?

Postby boxerscott » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:32 pm

:cry: Really looking forward to this. It don't seem right to go. Our lass is wanting to defer the ferry over to next year, but we won't get the cabin that we like. Lock down possibilities, quarantine etc. Not interested in finding excuses and cunning plans to avoid quarantine but shxt I really need to go. Life's short dude. What would you do?

Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Blackal

Re: Should I shxt can my Spain tour end of Sep /Oct?

Postby Blackal » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:49 pm

Plan to go............... make final decision a week before departure.

You might get lucky :laughing6: - in your ‘favourite’ cabin.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:48 pm

There is a reason the Spain is on the quarrantine list - your more likely to catch C19 there.

As you say life is short, but if you go it might end up being a damn sight shorter.
Me, I'd be planning on next year and do something in this country for now, but that's just me thinking about my mortality.
There's no guarantee who will die if they catch C19 and who will survive it.

Still its your money, your frustration and your life, so make your own decisions Chris.
All the best in whatever you decide.
John M

Al

Postby Al » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:36 pm

Chris, we are planning to go to France on 21/8, like you, not 100% sure about it, we are going in the camper and planned on using aires and small sites away from the main tourist spots, we feel with more space we would be as safe or safer in France than in Exmouth, a busy seaside town full of people from areas that are currently under extra restrictions
Also I’m retired and Sue is working from home so the possibility of self isolating on return is not too much of a problem, obviously different for you guys with the B&B and your job but I guess like us you are not in the high risk group so we are inclined to go and enjoy it unless France shuts down before we go.

John, not sure you are more likely to catch Covid in Spain, certain hot spots yes, but a vast majority of Spain has lower rates than UK and so has France.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:31 pm

I get all the pro`s and cons but it ain`t sitting pretty with me. lots of folk have made sacrifices, this thing has not really damaged my family and extended family a great deal but our kids have done us really proud and are playing by the rules they are saying... can it , our lass is twittering on everyday with concerns ( "if we have to quarantine we`ll miss Moffat") which make sense and i do not want to be indulgent (that`s obvious i`m a yorkie pud)

Thought i would put this out to the brotherhood for some intel! I aint decisive!

If we can not agree we ain't going , We have agreed on that.

Our lass has demanded a report back on every reply!!

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:35 am

You might view Spain as being different from France in terms of regulations and restrictions for returning, but as long as FCO advice allows ‘normal’ travel to those countries (as to whether you go or not) - the medical risk is minimal, if you are as mindful as you are in UK.

(Chris hosed me down with chlorine spray when I stopped for a coffee in his garden :? )

We went for our normal jaunt to Provence in mid-July, and basically did what we always did, with the exception of eating out less, and wearing a mask in the supermarket. That is the type of holiday it is - no crowded areas (apart from river-rafting) and people being ‘careful’.

The only pointer I picked up from someone on another forum - if you are on a campsite and there are a couple of Covid cases - the authorities might lock-down the campsite.

Take the tunnel, and refrain from your normal routine of leaving your mobile number on toilet walls - that is taking ‘track and trace’ to extremes :mrgreen:

Al :D

See if that works .....

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:11 pm

I live here in Spain.

We all wear masks in public, we all use hand gel in shops, and cafes and bars.

All cafes have reduced seating. I go out, and always choose an open air table.

The staff clean tables and chairs before use.

And , just use common sense.

Enjoy your trip, and take in this beautiful country of ours.

Don't hang around the tourist bars and cafes, the sanitation , and personal space is not being observed in these places.
For some reason, all the folks here on holiday seem to think they are immune to the virus.

If you can, take a half aspirin a day, in the dreadful case of you getting Corona, it will keep your blood flowing and your lungs working. If you are already on BP tabs, don't worry about the aspirin, you are going to be ok.

Personally, I feel quite safe here , and hopefully if you come over, you will use your head, wear masks, keep your hands clean, don't get too cuddly with any one, and you will return safely to your home in UK.
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:16 pm

Al wrote:Chris, we are planning to go to France on 21/8, like you, not 100% sure about it, we are going in the camper and planned on using aires and small sites away from the main tourist spots, we feel with more space we would be as safe or safer in France than in Exmouth, a busy seaside town full of people from areas that are currently under extra restrictions
Also I’m retired and Sue is working from home so the possibility of self isolating on return is not too much of a problem, obviously different for you guys with the B&B and your job but I guess like us you are not in the high risk group so we are inclined to go and enjoy it unless France shuts down before we go.

John, not sure you are more likely to catch Covid in Spain, certain hot spots yes, but a vast majority of Spain has lower rates than UK and so has France.

Al.

Howzit Al, as I've said in a previous quote, you guys in the camper should be 100 % ok.

Wear your masks in public, keep your personal space, and use the hand gels .

Common sense, and you will enjoy your holiday .

The real percentages of folks getting the virus is a teeny little chance, and obviously using your head, you reduce the risks even more.

Don't cancel just because the BBC is spreading porkies.

The real numbers in Spain don't even come close to what BBC is reporting, almost as if they are scare mongering to keep folks in UK.
Old man ... now .

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:13 pm

If you are post-menopause age - consider a course in HRT.

There is a hormone threshold at puberty and another at menopause with an increase in covid reaction risk at each stage.

Al

See if that works .....

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:51 pm

Chris, I feel your torment but you have asked and so here are my thoughts;

1. Is it morally correct to go abroad when so many millions of people are playing by the rules. It's a devastating virus, which is causing havoc worldwide, killing people as it goes. And yet lots of people contract the disease and live, irrespective of age it seems, although the older generation and much older than you by the way, seem to be particularly susceptive to this virus and have died, awful we all agree. You may never knowingly get the virus, you may have no symptoms and never think anything of it BUT, the question to ask yourself is not 'what if I get it, what if you or your good lady contract the virus and bring it back without knowing and potentially pass it on to an older more vulnerable person, how would you feel if the worst happens ? Your life would potentially change forever, would you ever be able to reconcile the feelings in your head.

2. Every single time go out on our bikes, we fraternise with death. We could take the bus, train, go in the car, all much safer transport, yet we choose our bikes and many, many people we all know, friends and family don't understand why, why we put ourselves at risk for pleasure but being individuals and getting the 'buzz' we all get from two wheeled transport, is what makes us tick.

There is a distinct difference to both these risks. with #1 You could potentially bring suffering and potential death to someone other than you. With #2 it really is only you at risk, very rare for a biker to kill someone else in a crash.

If you are asking what I would do, I would cancel the trip, stay in the UK, which doesn't mean you are free from catching it by the way, follow the guidelines, practice excellent cleansing of hands and the wearing of masks and minimise your chances of contracting this bastard COVID-19 and look forward to going away in the future with your wife without a 'care in the world' and free of any guilt and enjoy your holiday as you both should.

And don't you dare not turn up for your very own 'Back End Bucchie', We need you there :wink:

Christ Almighty :shock: , get me a whisky :lol:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:52 pm

So sod the holiday and get out on the bike :bounce: :D
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:52 pm

Gerry, I was hoping you would chip in, I hear what you are saying about the medias angle on this event. I agree you can not trust that to be fact. Some areas are worse affected than others in each country. I would not visit Aberdeen for a holiday, or Preston or go any where near a popular hotspot that attract the invincible kind.

Blackal. Thank you for the precautionary measures about contact tracing. I`ll resist doing that in future.

John, I agree with your sentiments about this event and in a perfect world everybody would do there bit for the common good.Generally most people do. We do not live in a perfect world . I feel thinking about a Holiday seems wrong but I also feel that each individual should balance the risks of a,b or c happening. I am not going to do what my sister did although i see and understand her motives. they went to visit my niece`s family in Ponferrada, a historic spanish city in the north, close to portugal. They spent two weeks there and to avoid quarantine back home they took a weeks holiday in Portugal and flew back to the uk from there. Not breaking the rules but perhaps morally wrong. She told of her experience... gosh it was fcukin hot! 36 degrees, got told off all the time by her daughter for touching door handles , hand rails, not having her face mask fitted correctly. She said with hindsight they would not have chosen to have this holiday but for the fact that they have had really hard times coping with a young child soaring temperatures and lockdown in a city. The opp to see a grandchild was the draw. They were glad of respite in Portugal. She advised that your bike tour would certainly be different.

Amanda is going to check with BF to hear of there policies aboard the Pont Aven although our living space aboard is very good , neither of us want to be couped up on the car decks with all the other punters on disembarkation. She is also going to check on the protocol at the Hotel we have 7 nights accom in Jerez. The Ferry is our major concern. I think with common sense, mindfulness and a dose of good luck it may be possible but the risk factor has to be balanced. No way we will go if the quarantine is in place and no way am I gonna lose my ticket. At 4pm this afternoon I had made my mind up we should not go, after speaking with my sis and listening to the truths Gerry is speaking and of Black Als Lavatorial Provence sojourn things are in the balance. Hell will freeze over before we miss Moffat.

Chris
Fiat Panda.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:40 am

BoxerCup R wrote:Chris, I feel your torment but you have asked and so here are my thoughts;

1. Is it morally correct to go abroad when so many millions of people are playing by the rules. It's a devastating virus, which is causing havoc worldwide, killing people as it goes. And yet lots of people contract the disease and live, irrespective of age it seems, although the older generation and much older than you by the way, seem to be particularly susceptive to this virus and have died, awful we all agree. You may never knowingly get the virus, you may have no symptoms and never think anything of it BUT, the question to ask yourself is not 'what if I get it, what if you or your good lady contract the virus and bring it back without knowing and potentially pass it on to an older more vulnerable person, how would you feel if the worst happens ? Your life would potentially change forever, would you ever be able to reconcile the feelings in your head. :

Christ Almighty :shock: , get me a whisky :lol:

Sorry, I’m not seeing any conflict with morality or rules/regulations, in this. We made sure that every aspect of our trip to France was within all the rules and guidelines, and I am sure Chris is planning the same. We cancelled the first holiday, as not all the necessary criteria were aligned. The holiday does not need to be any riskier than going to the shops at home and going for bike rides locally.

Sure - everyone can reduce the risk right down, by staying within the confines of their garden wall - but that is not life, nor is it really sensible with current covid levels (unless you are in a very high risk group, and that is your choice until things improve).

See if that works .....

Al

Postby Al » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:03 pm

Totally agree with Blackal & Gerry, we feel we can travel to France and enjoy our type of holiday( away from mass tourism destinations)in an environment that is most probably safer than the one where we live.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:32 pm

Al wrote:Totally agree with Blackal & Gerry, we feel we can travel to France and enjoy our type of holiday( away from mass tourism destinations)in an environment that is most probably safer than the one where we live.

Al.

I totally agree with you Al.

From what my daughter tells me, it seems folk out here are a lot more aware, and cautious than what she has witnessed in UK .

More respectful of personal space etc .
Old man ... now .

Return to “Boxerbanter”