Upgraded Cam Chain Tensioner

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dog Tyred

Upgraded Cam Chain Tensioner

Postby Dog Tyred » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:46 pm

I know its probably the wrong section but thought I might get more responses sticking it here.

So how many have done the LH Cam Chain Tensioner upgrade on their 11S?? In particular, how many high mileage bikes??

Just wondering ??

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Neil178

Re: Upgraded Cam Chain Tensioner

Postby Neil178 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:37 pm

I’ve got the bits and pieces here Greg, just not fitted it yet as the bike is low mileage.
I’ve got a set of rocket sprockets to go on so i’ll probably fit everything at the same time. I’ve been saying that for a few years now!
If there is rattling noises coming from your engine then? I hope not!

Phil K

Postby Phil K » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:11 am

Did this upgrade a couple of weeks ago to my 37k bike,
Tickover is smoother and less clatter - very happy

Phil
R11s + Val Singleton Power filter - Lennies induct - Y Piece - Wilbers - PC111
1974 Honda CB750 1974 Triumph Trident T150 Oh and a GS-LC

dmmsta

Postby dmmsta » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:29 pm

Phil K wrote:Did this upgrade a couple of weeks ago to my 37k bike,
Tickover is smoother and less clatter - very happy

Phil

Will have to do some reading on this.

My R11S I just go my hands on is similar mileage. I'm used to parallel twins (previously TDMs and now 1200 Tenere). Never had any working with a boxer engine so will need to take my time.

Bike did come with original BMW Workshop manual, so that helps :)
New to BMW's & Boxer Engines
2003 R1100S (Silver / Yellow) - Weekender
2014 XT1200Z (White / Black) - Commuter

Deepest Darkest Kent (UK)

Skiddy

Postby Skiddy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 pm

I've done plenty of these over the years, it's not difficult but you need a bit of patience as its a bit fiddly. I get the part from Motorworks.

dmmsta

Postby dmmsta » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Skiddy wrote:I've done plenty of these over the years, it's not difficult but you need a bit of patience as its a bit fiddly. I get the part from Motorworks.

:thumbright:
New to BMW's & Boxer Engines
2003 R1100S (Silver / Yellow) - Weekender
2014 XT1200Z (White / Black) - Commuter

Deepest Darkest Kent (UK)

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:15 pm

May have been done..The new style tensioner is installed with a 15mm wrench, the old style uses a 17mm wrench.
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:20 pm

I did mine on my 1150R a few years ago, as Mitch says, the sizes are different and you cannot get a ratchet ring spanner on it (which would have been ideal) and you have to push the tensioner down harder than you think to catch the threads.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

WasOnceBroken

Postby WasOnceBroken » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Hello DT;
I did mine 6 years ago at 17k miles. Initial clatter upon start-up, though still evident, if indeed momentarily - is pretty much subdued within a second or so. An absolute must in my opinion as the entire cam chain drive and associated rails take a fair amount of punishment up until chain slack is taken up.

It now has 130k+

Been a marvelous machine. With certain issues, of course - i.e. clutch spline failure at less than 20k miles which I sorted myself. Overall though - the single most enjoyable, all around motorbike I've ever slung a leg over. Cannot imagine not owning one for the remainder of my days. I actually much prefer it over my R12S or Aprilia RSV's of which I own 2 of as well.

W.O.B.

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:27 pm

So not too many on here have done it then?

No cam chain noise from my bike on start-up but then again its only done 29K. I read elsewhere that it was a worthwhile upgrade (do it or your bike will explode kind of recommendation) but just wondered how many have actually done it. I was a regular on here for quite a few years and I don't recall it came up once??

Anyway, fitted mine a couple of weeks back and can't say I notice any difference at start-up but I guess its the kind of thing which will pay divis in the future.

Simple job, took about 35 minutes. Now I can relax.

Now then, about that clutch slave :roll:

DT
Last edited by Dog Tyred on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2002 BCR

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Neil178 wrote:I’ve got a set of rocket sprockets to go on so i’ll probably fit everything at the same time. I’ve been saying that for a few years now!

Neil

:lol: :lol: I was exactly the same. Had a set of Rocket Sprockets on the shelf for about 10 years and the Covid lockdown finally gave me the time to fit them. Needing to spend time in the garage away from the M-in-L. Delighted with the results and I am sure you will be too. Don't put it off any longer.

Its a bit of a faff job to do but you just need to take you time and follow the excellent guide.

Had a Power Commander kit about as long as the sprockets :oops: but not got around to fitting that yet. No need to rush these things.

Cheers

DT

2002 BCR

WasOnceBroken

Postby WasOnceBroken » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 pm

Dog Tyred wrote:

Now then, about that clutch slave :roll:

DT

DT;
I was referring to a fair bit more than the clutch slave, unfortunately. Here's what happens to some not all R259 platforms (which includes our R1100S's) This is a photo of mine

The parts required for a proper repair - though, in most cases, (depending on the degree of scalloping/wear) - one can opt to forgo the input shaft and all of the associated labour, so long as an extended hub friction disc as shown below is employed.

(note: The Suzuki DR650 big thumper main bearing). This was a personal choice as it pinged higher on an rockwell 'c' scale for those interested. Anal of me, granted - as an OE FAG or SKF as factory specified is the norm.

I'm new on this forum, DT - though quite active on the pelican forum (username JozefSchumann) here in the states. I started a thread on my experiences quite some time ago which makes for a detailed, albeit interesting study on this. Here's the thread, now with more than 18k views for perusal at your leisure.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r110 ... ilure.html

Again, I must emphatically stress - not all machines experience this failure matter of fact, some never do. I was bitten once by this bugger and that was enough. Being an then recent heart bypass recipient, it was quite literally a life threatening situation for me. I now emphasize the import of checking input shaft to clutch disc slop in order to assess the plausibility of an pending failure. There are several YouTube videos on how to do a visual check, DT.

Most shops are very familiar with this issue. Still, as long as one is relatively fumblefinger-free with an modicum of mechanical aptitude - the repair can be performed at home in one's workshop which is what I did. At the very least, one can assess the condition of their particular machine's splines as shown in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDjEvDgZlWU

regards,
W.O.B.

Return to “Boxerbanter”