Advice on selling

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Humbug

Advice on selling

Postby Humbug » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:00 pm

Unfortunately its time for the 1200S Humbug to be sold due to the imminent arrival of a replacement and I thought i would ask opinions on what the esteemed members think might be the best way forward.
I'm only asking as its a tricky thing when you have loved a bike for 12 years and I know you need to put personal feelings of value to one side, especially with a bike that has done 107,000 miles!
I think the main options are ebay and take a punt at what someone will pay for it, break the bike and sell the parts which would be a shame as it still has an MOT until 12th August or maybe look to sell to someone looking for a bit of a project. There is an issue with the clutch which now seems may be cured by bleeding as it doesn't slip at all under load but it has just has the rear Ohlins rebuilt, new battery and fork seals, bar risers, panniers and a few random spare parts such as front wheel (in need of straightening and powder coating) and master brake cylinder.
All suggestions are welcomed as its been a while (12 years) since i bought or sold a bike. Thinking maybe in the region of £2000?
10 KTM RC8

Al

Re: Advice on selling

Postby Al » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:04 pm

I am selling my GS, I have now taken all the nice bits off and selling separately, varios, tank bag, hugger, aftermarket exhaust etc as I didn’t get a sniff of a sale, I have put it up on several FB selling groups & owners groups, most of the bits have sold but I still have not had a serious enquiry and it’s the lowest priced 06 GS advertised!! I couldn’t be bothered breaking a bike and I haven’t tried eBay, yet. Might even see about part ex, Good luck.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:35 pm

Thanks Al, didn't fancy breaking it really due to space but there are some nice bits on it, luggage, iimerger carbon hugger Ohlins so might weigh up selling those and scrapping the rest. Wonder if Motorworks buys bikes to strip
10 KTM RC8

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:21 pm

Difficult one Humbug, on the one hand it’s certainly a “slowly” appreciating motorcycle, by virtue of the small amount available but on the other it’s the mileage, I’d have thought most people would be put off by that. Peter (Herrman) from here sold/px his 100.000 mile 12s a while back so perhaps he’d have more of an idea. I was offered a measly 2k for my mere 30.000 miler a few years back in a part ex deal on a used R1200rs, I didn’t bother to reply. Good luck with whatever you do and btw what is the replacement?
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:46 pm

Great points Phil, I didn't see a PX as a way forward as I was once told to eBay the bike and come back with the cash by a BMW dealer when it only had 60,000 on the clock. I think eBay may be the only option.
I've gone with a KTM RC8 as it seemed a little out there which is what I loved about the 12S. Its a 2010 with a verified 12,000 on the clock.
IMG_3701.jpeg
IMG_3701.jpeg (135.27 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
10 KTM RC8

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:59 pm

Very nice replacement :D

I’d give eBay a try, you could put a reserve on and see what happens
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:21 am

I put my bike back to standard before selling and recently listed the parts I have accumulated and the only things to sell where the Ilmberger head covers so I think I would sell it as it is - the nice parts could offset the high mileage if a purchaser is bothered about that
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:22 am

RC8, amazing bike, but in my experience, one on which you need to ride fast everywhere to make it work - I figured I would lose my licence or worse hence why I got rid.

Doesn't stop me hankering after another one though!

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:29 am

dave the german wrote:I put my bike back to standard before selling and recently listed the parts I have accumulated and the only things to sell where the Ilmberger head covers so I think I would sell it as it is - the nice parts could offset the high mileage if a purchaser is bothered about that

Very good point, I'm not after a fortune, I would take £1500 and think the bike is worth that with the bits.
10 KTM RC8

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:30 am

jeznewsome wrote:RC8, amazing bike, but in my experience, one on which you need to ride fast everywhere to make it work - I figured I would lose my licence or worse hence why I got rid.

Looking forward to trying something a little different. I always hankered for the 12S without the concentric throttle action so I could choose how fast I wanted to accelerate. :)
10 KTM RC8

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:34 am

jeznewsome wrote:RC8, amazing bike, but in my experience, one on which you need to ride fast everywhere to make it work - I figured I would lose my licence or worse hence why I got rid.

That is why I love my DRZ Supermotard .... Better chance of keeping the licence, while having fun !!!
DRZ 400 SM  April 21  (3).jpg
DRZ 400 SM April 21 (3).jpg (963.95 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:37 am

Humbug wrote:Unfortunately its time for the 1200S Humbug to be sold due to the imminent arrival of a replacement and I thought i would ask opinions on what the esteemed members think might be the best way forward.

All suggestions are welcomed as its been a while (12 years) since i bought or sold a bike. Thinking maybe in the region of £2000?

To be honest, the mileage should not be a problem to most of us !!!

How many on here regularly ride more than 20k a year ?

I'd imagine a fair few don't even see 5k a year, so a decent bike, strong and in reasonable nick would be perfect .

Just my opinion ...
Old man ... now .

Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:49 pm

I'm a big fan of Ebay 'classifieds' for bike sales.

Cost used to be something like £22 with lots of pics.

Sure, you get texts with "Will you take £900 for a quick sale, mate?" but easily ignored.

Whatever you are looking for - add on £300 to allow some haggling.

RC8 is a great bike by all accounts, although exhaust sound is a bit 'weedy' (I guess that changes when hard on the gas)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:49 pm

Blackal wrote:I'm a big fan of Ebay 'classifieds' for bike sales.

Cost used to be something like £22 with lots of pics.

Sure, you get texts with "Will you take £900 for a quick sale, mate?" but easily ignored.

Whatever you are looking for - add on £300 to allow some haggling.

RC8 is a great bike by all accounts, although exhaust sound is a bit 'weedy' (I guess that changes when hard on the gas)

I have used eBay a couple of times for bike sales with varied success but then I had them in for auction rather than a fixed price. Maybe worth looking at a fixed price rather than auction.
Looking forward to trying the RC8 but got to admit the 12S will be sorely missed
10 KTM RC8

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:20 am

Humbug wrote:I have used eBay a couple of times for bike sales with varied success but then I had them in for auction rather than a fixed price. Maybe worth looking at a fixed price rather than auction.
Looking forward to trying the RC8 but got to admit the 12S will be sorely missed

I know that you used to be able to post your mobile number, as the business model of the Classified ad - was that you paid your £20-ish up front and there was no conduit cutting Ebay out of the equation.

Fixed price classifieds are the way to go. I wouldn't even put OVNO - That will simply attract even more low-balling chancers.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxerbanter”