MOT Refusal

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

MOT Refusal

Postby boxerscott » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:37 pm

I had an unexpected knockback today at my local test centre. My 22 year old Honda Flat 6 Custom was refused on a headlamp bulb conversion. I had previously removed the halogen bulb and replaced it with a LED, not wanting to be outshone by all the super bright headlamps we see on todays roads.

fail.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... onversions

Fortunately I had kept the halogen bulb (I was sweating thinking I may have to buy another) and it was a 2min job to swap out and a quick blast back for a retest.
Heads up. it`s common say the guys at Olivers.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Re: MOT Refusal

Postby RiceBurner » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:09 am

Yes - I've heard of this - I think it's something to do with the reflector inside the lamp unit being suitable for incandescent bulbs (eg halogen/xenon), but NOT for LED bulbs (which throw the light out in a different way).

The practical upshot is that you don't get the same 'beam' of light from the reflector with LEDs: it's probably 'brighter', but the spread will be different, and that 'can' make it illegal. Beam spread has to conform to a set shape.
non quod, sed quomodo

Return to “Boxerbanter”