Buying from Germany Rant

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

JamesL

Buying from Germany Rant

Postby JamesL » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:06 am

Now that we've left the EU I've discovered a range of very proper German suppliers of spares and gear... Operationally they've been excellent, but ParcelForce seem to be aggressively charging freight & duty on packages entering the UK from abroad (although so far perhaps not other carriers). Naturally this holds the recipient to ransom, especially as the demand doesn't say who's sending you what. I've recently bought some replacement Road Stars (after 15+ years and God knows how many miles, a bit tatty but still waterproof) from Detlev Louis. DL's price is excellent and I knew exactly what I wanted so I went for it; despite them being registered for UK VAT (and I'm guessing import duty) and the reference being on the customs declaration, which P/Force have clearly read, oh no, pay up or get it sent back. To their credit, DL were super helpful and refunded me the charges, and I hope they can reclaim them from their UK returns, but it does make you wonder. Too many process-oriented jobsworths who can't be a**'d to provide a service, but take every opportunity to charge you money... (PS I know this isn't everyone - my daughter's in the public sector and works her socks off - in a way it makes it worse because it undermines all the hard work that people like her do put in...)

So much for UK's international trade ambitions then...

That feels better! :D

popsky

Re: Buying from Germany Rant

Postby popsky » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:13 pm

Aahhhhhh the joys of Brexit the gift that just keeps on giving. :mrgreen:

Personally I don’t even bother looking at anything from outside the U.K. now but it has ruled out a lot of really good suppliers :evil:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:15 am

But gives an excuse for a trip to Europe (providing you can carry the goods back on the bike) and say nowt on your return :twisted:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:54 am

This is the same here in Spain , every parcel , regardless from UK , we have to pay import duty on.

My daughter sent me a few things from UK for my birthday, total value about £15, but had to pay E37 on collection !! :evil:

Also, when buying on Ebay, so many sellers are UK based ......

I'm not prepared to pay, so either end up buying locally or buying from some one in EU .

Sadly, this whole exercise has been an opportunity to rip off the buyer .
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:52 pm

Same experience with a crash helmet despite retailers website saying parcel would be marked 'helmet' and recognised as zero-rated.
I had never done it before, but as the colourway that I wanted in the helmet I wanted was only available across the Channel I ordered from a well known supplier. 7 days later Parcelforce sent an invoice for VAT plus import duty - to be paid before delivery obs- with some vague wording that these amounts could be appealed to HMRC if incorrectly applied. I declined the opportunity to become a penpal in a three way relationship with ParcelForce and HMRC and refused the delivery. Much time wasted and a lesson learned... :?

Return to “Boxerbanter”