Shxte Fuel

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

Shxte Fuel

Postby boxerscott » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:59 pm

is e5 half as bad as e10. If ethanol additive is not good for our engines and carbs than why the heck are they selling it and why are we buying this shxte.? Finding it hard to believe some of the measures people are going to to protect their "Classic" engines.

Do fuel stabilisers really work? or is this another snake oil/Elixir

Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Re: Shxte Fuel

Postby RiceBurner » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:48 am

In my experience so far:

95RON (standard 'normal' petrol) is pretty much universally (in the UK) now E10 (up to 10% ethanol), and for my Rockster - I get about 165 miles to reserve.

98RON ('Super unleaded') is normally E5 (up to 5% ethanol), but some companies (eg, IIRC Shell) say that there is virtually 0% ethanol in their 'Super' unleaded. The Rockster gets at least 175 miles (occasionally up to 200) before reserve when using 98RON/E5.

So - I tend to use 98RON (Super), whenever I can for the bike (I'll take 95RON if the garage doesn't have Super).

For the car I'm less fussy, but will occasionally stick in half a tank of 98RON.

Oh - and I tend to avoid supermarket petrol stations (yes they may be cheaper, but I've never had good performance from their stock. (I think I've used a supermarket station about once in the past 3 or 4 years).
non quod, sed quomodo

MickB

Postby MickB » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:10 pm

I took this link from the Ducati Scotland website. The writer has analysed all the commonly available fuels for their ethanol content. The list in the link shows the differing percentages from what is claimed to the results found during the test. Make of it what you will.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DucatiU ... &ref=notif

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:30 am

Link just takes me to a log in page. Any details on the analysis would be very interesting.
10 KTM RC8

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:59 am

https://www.windrushcarstorage.co.uk/bl ... e-fuel.php

"....At the time of writing, there is no requirement for ethanol to be included in super unleaded (97/99) grade petrol, so if you’re driving a cherished older vehicle (or putting one into long term car storage), consider a switch to the UK’s only ethanol-free fuels, Esso Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99. Taking a long-term view, we’d advise that any car with fuel held in the tank for over three years should be drained and replaced with ethanol-free petrol....."

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

"What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol
Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation."
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:48 pm

Well if it was confusing before.. it is more so now.

chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:50 am

A search for Esso petrol stations in Shrewsbury turns up 3 only, and one of those is a BP garage not Esso.
So to protect my older bikes, lawnmower, strimmer and chainsaw etc. I have to travel 4 miles to a station on the other side of town.
Is it worth it, with the much higher cost per litre than Tesco or Sainsbury's fuel - not sure.
John M

Return to “Boxerbanter”