Remember Hein Gericke knee pads?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Man-of-Mystery2

Remember Hein Gericke knee pads?

Postby Man-of-Mystery2 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:32 am

Hi.

Hein Gericke used to sell lightweight, flexible knee/elbow/shoulder armour that fixed to the lining of your clothes with snap-on studs. I don't think it was their own brand. It was very reasonably-priced.

Does anyone recall this product? Is anything like it still made?

Asking for a young student friend who is just starting motorcycling and is strapped for cash. I want to buy them a present.

P.

wicker

Re: Remember Hein Gericke knee pads?

Postby wicker » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:36 pm

Remember the product. I think i may still have some lying in a cupboard and spare press studs.
Used to find some gear had knee armour but empty pockets for the hip armour or what was there was bulky and/or uncomfortable.

Have BMW or Stadler gear these days which has the latest CE armour. Never felt the need to swap armour these days.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:12 am

Man-of-Mystery2 wrote:Hi.

Hein Gericke used to sell lightweight, flexible knee/elbow/shoulder armour that fixed to the lining of your clothes with snap-on studs. I don't think it was their own brand. It was very reasonably-priced.

Does anyone recall this product? Is anything like it still made?

Asking for a young student friend who is just starting motorcycling and is strapped for cash. I want to buy them a present.

P.

If you're thinking of the neoprene rubber stuff - it was their own product called Hi-Protec. it came in 2 thicknesses "Sport" and "Comfort". The "Sport" was thicker and was designed to be very flexible - it had lots of little 'nodules' and resembled a Dr Scholl sandal. It was excellent at impact resistance (as I can testify personally). I still have it fitted in several garments because I trust it.

You can occasionally find it on E-Bay, but they stopped producing it some time ago.

If I were you I'd look at buying your friend some of the D3O armour. It's the same idea (soft mouldable armour that resists impact better than the foam armour), but the up-to-date interpretation. The Hein Gericke stuff is not 'ratified' to the same regs as the new stuff (but it's probably not far off in ability).
non quod, sed quomodo

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:45 pm

Are they still trading in Germany? I've still got 2 jackets and a pair of trousers and think they're brilliant. I don't think I've ever proofed them and they're still waterproof. Maybe a product of their own success?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:24 am

dave the german wrote:Are they still trading in Germany? I've still got 2 jackets and a pair of trousers and think they're brilliant. I don't think I've ever proofed them and they're still waterproof. Maybe a product of their own success?

I think I remember reading somewhere last year that they'd shut down, even in Germany, but I could be wrong.
non quod, sed quomodo

Man-of-Mystery2

Postby Man-of-Mystery2 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated.

Return to “Boxerbanter”