Bodycams?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Man-of-Mystery2

Bodycams?

Postby Man-of-Mystery2 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:43 pm

Hi. I'm getting a new bike in March. I want to wear a bodycam - I don't fancy a helmet- or handlebar-mounted one, and I am less than enthusiastic about wearing one that I would have to buy a harness for. I would prefer one that would clip to a pocket or a belt. Something like the Transcend TS64GDPB30A perhaps, or a cheaper model. It also has to interface with a Mac. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: Bodycams?

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:02 pm

HI,

what are you planning to use the footage for? Dashcam style protection in case of accident, or movies of your motorcycle trips?

If it's dash cam type footage , rather than attaching a camera to yourself, what about fitting cameras to the bike? I've not tried them myself, but Innovv make a system that fits on the bike and records whenever the ignition is turned on. Try https://innovv.co.uk for more details. The YouTuber "Teapot One" uses them and seems to like the system (possibly because he's sponsored by them...)
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Man-of-Mystery2

Postby Man-of-Mystery2 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:51 pm

Hi Paul

It's for safety/evidence rather than recording my rides. But I think my main objections to a bike-mounted camera are summed up in the video - it will end up looking like an oddment stuck on the bike, and some charlie will come along and bend it for me! That's why I'm looking at the option of a body-cam.

Cheers,
M-o-M2

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:08 am

We've had a couple of bikes in that have had on bike systems fitted and they were very discreet installs. Unless someone points them out it's difficult to notice them
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Man-of-Mystery2

Postby Man-of-Mystery2 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:26 am

slparry wrote:We've had a couple of bikes in that have had on bike systems fitted and they were very discreet installs. Unless someone points them out it's difficult to notice them

It seems I may have to consider a bike-mounted one.

Any recommendations?

M-o-M2

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:37 am

The innov ones Paul mentioned seem highly regarded, I've not had any experience with using any of them I'm afraid :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Al

Postby Al » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:46 pm

A front & rear camera system was fitted on my 1200R when I got it, they blend in very well with the bodywork and are not obvious at all unless you are looking for them, plus you don’t have to worry about remembering to fit a body cam when you go out if you have charged it up in the house or using different kit, oversuits etc.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:33 pm

Too much tech going into bikes that I don`t really need let alone adorning myself with it. Summat else to go wrong...and be obsolete in no time even if it works up to your expectations. I agree that a discreet one is far better than the ones on top of your bonce that make one look a bit silly.

I can see the advantage of a dashcam and understand why high mileage city commuters may use them.

I think the manufacturers would be better advised to fit them as standard within the £6k of electronic wizardry that goes into a top end tourer or sports bike rather than some of the stuff that never gets used let alone maxxed out.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:52 am

I guess the only concern with a bike mounted set up is keeping the lenses clean and clear or moisture if it is wet or with build up from wet weather riding. Easy to do with a helmet mounted setup.

I agree with Chris, with all the electronics on bikes I am surprised that cameras are not OE fitment these days.

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:45 am

I just bike mount the Drift Ghost X in various locations on the bike using the mounting system. Has a DVR feature and a 5 hour battery life or longer with the larger battery. Remove after every ride and you can helmet mount if you want to. Depends on what you want to see I suppose as Paul says.
10 KTM RC8

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:55 pm

FWIW I use an Innov helmet mounted C5, the older model which of course has been superseded in favour of the H5. I had to return it a couple of times for glitches, but their customer support was excellent and it's been reliable for the last couple of years.

I got it after a SMIDSY turned right into me as I was overtaking a line of traffic in town and in court maintained that I hit them. With no witnesses it was always going to be a he said / she said haggle, and the judge disregarded the evidence of the photos of her tyre marks down my cylinder head in favour of her allegation of my riding into her... So now the camera goes on for every trip and you'd be amazed how many idiots there are out there...

I went for a helmet camera because it's stabilised by your head, and it looks where you look. So for instance you can prove you looked over your shoulder and for how long, and depending on the angle you set it at, you can prove the state of your instruments and controls - that you were indicating, what speed you were doing etc. My view also covers my offside mirror so there's a record of what was approaching from behind.

The new Innov camera looks clunkier than mine but likely worth a look. Also the Drift Ghost. I prefer good battery life and / or the ability to power from a power pack so you're not wired to the bike. I use an Anker 10,000mAh pack, very light, in a waterproof outside pocket and I get 10 hours or so out of it easily.

Also it's worth seeking out good resolution so the camera will reliably capture number plates. I have a cheapo Garmin unit in the car and it really needs good light to pick out number plates properly. The Innov is great in this respect.

Hope this helps! J

Return to “Boxerbanter”