not boxer related

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

not boxer related

Postby boxerscott » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:36 pm

Hey up , Who uses winter tyres on their vehicles? Who uses all season tyres? I have a set of winter wheels for my work van, I now use Michelin Alpins, I put them on around this time of year when my MOT is due. I use Michelin Agilis otherwise, been a cheap baxtard I buy quality used ones with at least 5 to 6mm of tread and no puncture repairs .. for about a third of the cost of a new tyre... the problem is 4 wheels kicking about and they do not get any lighter as the years roll by. The all season tyres seem to be the way forward from extensive testing under all conditions. Can any high miler users vouch for all season tyres. I note they are damn expensive. :cry:

I bought my first set of winter tyres( budget brand) about 4 years ago, brand new from Oponeo they did not last long at all before they were down to 1.5mm I only do 12k a year and they are on for 4 months max.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

slparry

Re: not boxer related

Postby slparry » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:25 pm

boxerscott wrote:Hey up , Who uses winter tyres on their vehicles? Who uses all season tyres? I have a set of winter wheels for my work van, I now use Michelin Alpins, I put them on around this time of year when my MOT is due. I use Michelin Agilis otherwise, been a cheap baxtard I buy quality used ones with at least 5 to 6mm of tread and no puncture repairs .. for about a third of the cost of a new tyre... the problem is 4 wheels kicking about and they do not get any lighter as the years roll by. The all season tyres seem to be the way forward from extensive testing under all conditions. Can any high miler users vouch for all season tyres. I note they are damn expensive. :cry:

I bought my first set of winter tyres( budget brand) about 4 years ago, brand new from Oponeo they did not last long at all before they were down to 1.5mm I only do 12k a year and they are on for 4 months max.

Chris

After the "beast from the east" I put a set of Bridgestone "all weather a005 evo "All Season tyres on my X3 3.0SD M-Sport ...... and sadly ( !! ) it's not snowed since so I've not had chance to test them in the white shite. However, they have very good reviews for wet grip, and I can confirm they drive like it's not raining :D

I rarely use the car except on the grimmest of days as I prefer the bike (hate traffic)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

SP250

Postby SP250 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:37 pm

Hi Chris - for about 10 years I used to switch to winter tyres in November and back to normal ones about April.
I bought a set of s/h rims from a breaker and then fitted the winter tyres and swopped them myself each season.
I have to say they were superb in the wet and in snow, but on warm dry days if I was doing a long motorway journey at 70mph or thereabouts, they got over heated and a bit squirrelly if I drove fast (Saab 95 Aero chipped with about 310bhp and sport bilstein shocks for handling).

So I would rate them as very beneficial when I was doing 20 to 30k miles each year, but not bothering now I do less than 10k pa.

Used to get about 15K to 20k out of the summer tyres, but only about 10k out of the winter ones.
John M

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:09 pm

Mrs L is on Michelin cross climates which seem to be effective round rural Warwickshire and wear well. Old school Passat diesel estate, creaks a bit now but still effortlessly carrying the world...

Return to “Boxerbanter”