Hello (again) from darkest Lincs

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Hello (again) from darkest Lincs

Postby Gromit » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:47 am

Hi everyone,

Hope all's well in your respective circles. :)

It's been such a long time since I posted on Boxertrix, it may have been more apt for a re-introduction within 'New Trixters'. Still, just wanted to drop by and give a shout out to old friends on here.

7 years now since I last had a bike (that gorgeous VFR800 I sold to PB) and for most of that time I hadn't really missed biking. Yes, the odd wistful moment of 'oh wouldn't it be great to be out on 2 wheels' but nothing to make me go out and rectify things. However, the last few weeks have definitely seen a resurgence in the desire for another bike so I'm back to trawling Bike Trader etc. The bug that bit over 40 years ago still hasn't truly let go.

The last 3.5 years have been rather up & down health-wise. A heart attack in Sept 2019, then a quad bypass procedure last April have meant a slow journey back to fitness but I am getting there.

It's great to see the Boxertrix weekends away are still thriving, and who knows I may even get along to attend on in the near future.

As a footnote: Was so sad to hear the news of Bob's passing - a truly lovely bloke, had some great times chatting over either an Ace Café fry-up or a few beers.

ianc53

Re: Hello (again) from darkest Lincs

Postby ianc53 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:57 pm

Hi Richard

Good to hear from you. You are always mentioned in dispatches whenever the veterans congregate. Hope you are over all your health issues and have some calm water ahead. It would be great to see you at a meet-up, a bike is no longer a requirement!

Best wishes

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

SP250

Postby SP250 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:37 pm

Great to hear from you Richard. I do keep up with your progress on FB and hope that you find a suitable bike to scratch the itch. Also to see you again on Trixter weekend would be excellent and as Ian says you are always mentioned in dispatches.
John M

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:39 am

Hi Richard,good to see you back ,follow your adventures on facebook.An MX5 seems the car of choice for ex bikers,can`t fall off em,and the roof is easier than waterproofs.Would be great to see you at a weekend meet again,I think it is over 20yrs since you first welcomed me and Gwen into your wonderful group,and we still love it.
Best wishes mate Reg & Gwen.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:31 am

Thanks fellas - great to hear back from you. :)

Before any decisions are made on a return to biking, it looks like I have another bout of surgery to go through but at least it'll give me time to keep scanning the ads. As to what bike, I just fancy something relatively tame to bimble around on and quite like the look of the Triumph Street Twin 900 as one example. We're fortunate to have - Webbs of Lincoln - a great local dealer. Either of the Royal Enfield 650 twins look like being fun, if perhaps a little too tame.

Or perhaps 'b*llocks to that' and get a cross-plane R1. :D

Reg - talking of Mazdas, I recently got a 3 Sport Nav 165 which is great fun to drive. No, not an MX-5 of course but after looking at most other cars in its class (Golf/Civic/Focus/Volvo V40) the 3 is a hoot, and very nicely put together too.

Al

Postby Al » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:06 pm

Nice to hear from you Richard, would be nice to meet at a Boxertrix meet to have a chat, hope the recovery continues to go well.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:39 pm

Good to hear from you again, old chum, and thanks for the contribution to the coffers! I missed the last 'trixter weekend due to my better half's health scare, but am currently doing a "not quite Flash" tour of France with one of my biking buddies. It would be good to see you at a Boxertrix weekend regardless of your mode of transport. I'm based in Norfolk now, so would be up for a weekend meet somewhere in the Norfolk/Lincs neck of the woods.

All the best,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:14 pm

Glad to see you back on a bike mate. Been watching your progress with interest and looking forward to catching up with you at some point soon

I managed to dust off the R1200s a month ago and took it to the TT. Been about three years (i think) since i've ridden it properly! Still pulls well :)
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

popsky

Postby popsky » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:24 pm

Hello Richard hope the recovery goes according to plan and it would be nice to see you again at a BT weekend :occasion5:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:41 pm

Thanks chaps :)

Been taking a wander round some local dealers these past few days - I'm so out of touch with what's out there I don't think I recognised many current models at all, especially the Japanese stuff.

Doubt I'll get anything before I'm fixed at Glenfield but I'm enjoying scanning the ads for bikes.

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:57 pm

BMW R1200RS - modern embodiement of the R1100S :D
1250RS has a snazzy TFT but you need to be a 12 yr old to work it :D

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:26 pm

Ok guess I better say hello if all the auld buggers who rarely log on are here .....

I've been a resident of Aberdeenshire for 18 months!
Still got my manky old VFR's which I regularly give a thorough thrashing on the way to work.
No traffic lights, cars, or speed cameras for miles around. Plenty tractors and cow sh*te though.

Got zero interest in new motorcycles. Haven't a clue anymore!

Sorry to hear about your poor health Richard.

Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:21 am

Hell's bells, Bailey - I know folk often like to move away from the Smoke but Aberdeenshire's really moving away!

Hope all's well. :)

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:26 pm

Hi Richard, that`s a really nice manly name BTW. Cool to hear from you and your ambition to possibly get back to old habits. All of us are nearer to scoring life`s goal so it would not be remiss to follow your wants. :wink:

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:14 am

boxerscott wrote:Hi Richard, that`s a really nice manly name BTW. Cool to hear from you and your ambition to possibly get back to old habits. All of us are nearer to scoring life`s goal so it would not be remiss to follow your wants. :wink:

Chris

Thanks Chris - I'm just getting round to sorting some test rides at a few local dealers so looking forward to that. Considering one of the following...

Hornet 750
Suzuki GSX 8S
Honda CB500X
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Triumph Speed Twin 900

The Interceptor is current fave as whilst it's not exactly a tyre-shredder, the aftermarket for them is huge. Heard one out on the road a few days ago, fitted with what I think were the Enfield Precision pipes (could've been the TEC ones). Sounded absolutely gorgeous.

Return to “Boxerbanter”