test rides

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

test rides

Postby boxerscott » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:49 pm

two test rides booked in for next week,

Tuesday.. Two wheels at E`bro Honda Rebel 1100 DCT

Wednesday Vertu Sunderland BMW Urban GS (seat height permitting) if not the posh R9t roadster.

Shaping up for a replacement of my Honda F6C which has been a blast for me but the hauling in and out of the garage, the chrome cleaning, 6 carbs to maintain and its unsuitability for Amanda. Keeping my brilliant R1250R but may also part with the R9t Racer. Liking very much the modern retro`s and not ruling out a more manageable single seater cruiser. I also perused the idea of the achingly stunning Indian Scout bobber and the Classy Triumph Speedmaster.

I have not rode a single mile mile this year, Dealers seem to be awash with used bikes but new bike prices remain high, surely this autumn must see some give in that?

Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: test rides

Postby Paul » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:44 pm

Not tempted by the new Moto Guzzi V100, or still nursing burnt fingers from your Griso experience?
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:03 pm

Paul wrote:Not tempted by the new Moto Guzzi V100, or still nursing burnt fingers from your Griso experience?
Not quite Paul, would love the 850 racer that went to EU only but I have the best do it all roadster on the market in the r1250r. Can not see how the V100 would better that.

Re my test rides, CAVEAT, First rides in almost 12 months. The Honda 1100 DCT Rebel, Two Wheels Peffermill Rd E`bro. Honda /Triumph dealership yesterday. A city ride, lots of start stop, a wee spurt on the city bypass, lane spitting not much of an opportunity to get out into the hinterlands as we were also doing gran and grandad duties whist we were up there. Honda using the parallel twin from the new africa twin adv bike with the well developed dct from the VFR 1200 of some 12 years ago. Cruiser bobber esque styling which looks quite cool, nice burble to match and plenty enough poke. The DCT was at first unusual but became instantly intuitive, the machinations going on instantly and smoothy within. One can see that this can be exploited, the thumb controls on the right bar toggle between manual and drive. In manual the paddle on the left bar can be used to select gears.

It`s a comfy ride with feet forward which lessens the impact of osteo arthritis in a flaky knee joint, a good flat foot down bike with a svelte waist line. It was a positive experience and a bike that one can tour on, scratch about on , from my short ride the suspension coped with the utilities wrecked 701 in inner city but as i was riding the bagger style model the empty panniers and frames rattled a wee bit. The bike has quite a few hipster accessories which i like and i would prefer to customize the naked version. I took out the excess waiver at £25 cos from my experience in Newcastle last year all those twxts texting whilst driving are out to get you. Two Wheels even reimbursed me on fuel on production of the receipt. Dave the sales guy was really helpful, however I felt the Honda side of the dealership was in stark contrast to the themed Triumph side. A revisit is required with a decent run down to Moffat

Todays ride was courtesy of Vertu BMW Sunderland where i bought my used R1250R. No external constraining factors and I had a 3 hour slot. BMW R9t Urban GS.... :? and I thought all Gs`s were Urban? It was a 57 miler 23 plate. 19 inch front , spoked wheels with road tyres not knobblies slightly higher seat height but i could still flat foot with a wee calf extension and my Altbergs on. From the front this bike looks the real deal in classic terms of the R80GS and with its tiny arse it accentuates its massive chest, it is all muscle without the scaffolding crap, outdated telelever, plastic shoulder padding and tureen pannier meals on wheels esque adornations and incriminations of the modern hideous incarnation. :wink: Single Clock , a proper key that will always allow you to fill up your fuel tank , just minimalist just good and just bloody nice. What a pleasure it was , i headed out west to the A1 and then further west on the 69, plan was Corbridge and back but at Corbridge RBT I thought bugger it , Tea stop Otterburn up the 68 . Patiently (I stress) queued behind coffin dodgers at the canteen in the brilliant Woolen Mill thinking these days are not that far away for me and hoping that one of these persons would not choose the last fruit scone that was going to accompany my earl grey cuppa... guess what... the old Bat did and as an afterthought! Bugger.

The ride back followed the same route,, a well trodden path for Boxerscott, I was truly pumped with this ride, no fancy ESA , no gold forks, but that did matter a toss it truly must be the best R9t and as a plus for Boxerscott it can be accessorized with manly leather and canvass adornments. The tech packs of my 1250 were not missed a singe bit. A brilliant bike and a brilliant day out for me.

Two bikes to sell before a replacement comes. I think this is urgent as the market seems to be holding up for the minute, it is going to bomb any time soon with the interest rates, inflation, supporting the war in the east, nett zero BS, paying for covid, energy costs, unemployment...

Sod it. let`s ride, Where`s me next bike? :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:26 pm

Thanks for your test ride report Chris. The Urban sounds a refreshing alternative to all the tech laden bikes around. The 1300 GS will have even more stuff on it of course, at an even higher cost.

Have fun.

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

Return to “Boxerbanter”