ACF50

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bigblackfalco

ACF50

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:35 pm

Never used this product before but heard some good things about it.

Living less than a 100m from the sea is starting to take it's toll on the old girls!

Can anyone give a guestimate of how much I'd need to order for 2 Honda VFR's that have never been treated before please?

Cheers

Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

jeznewsome

Re: ACF50

Postby jeznewsome » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:30 pm

If you are spraying on (with a compressor and spray gun) then the smallest quantity you can buy, it goes a long way. This is by far the best way.

If you are using an aerosol can then put the whole can in warm water first to both thin the ACF50 fluid and also pressurise the can a little. Not sure on quantities here but I suspect a can will do a couple of bikes. As long as another can is easy to come by I'd start with one.

Ensure covering up everything that you don't want to cover in oil (tyres brakes, seats, footpegs, grips etc....) and expect lots of smoke on the first start up. :D

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:05 pm

jeznewsome wrote:If you are spraying on (with a compressor and spray gun) then the smallest quantity you can buy, it goes a long way. This is by far the best way.

If you are using an aerosol can then put the whole can in warm water first to both thin the ACF50 fluid and also pressurise the can a little. Not sure on quantities here but I suspect a can will do a couple of bikes. As long as another can is easy to come by I'd start with one.

Ensure covering up everything that you don't want to cover in oil (tyres brakes, seats, footpegs, grips etc....) and expect lots of smoke on the first start up. :D

Compressor??! I wish. More like bicycle pump!
OK I'll get an aerosol and follow your suggestions and see how I get on with the most rusty bike first.
Cheers.

stivesvelo

Postby stivesvelo » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:17 am

I see that Sportsbike shop have an offer (MCN) of 25% off for a bottle of ACF50 with a hand sprayer, I've been using this for the last 3 yrs or so spraying into a small paint brush & applying where I want as well as spraying into inaccessible spots.

Works well, attracts a little dust onto fastenings over time but cleans off to show clean fastenings underneath. I use the bike in most weathers but generally not much in winter, the bottle should last me for years so I guess you'll get a few seasons out of on 2 bikes.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:14 pm

Never been a fan of ACF50 - and the notion of using an aerosol can to spray into a cup to brush on, seems counter intuitive to me.

I use this stuff: TECTYL CAVITY WAX

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=5 ... 3963705200

Wash the bike.
When dry - spray on the Tectyl.

Before you sell the bike - remove the wax using Procare/GT85/WD40.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:23 pm

I have used ACF 50 over the years , and also FS 365 from scottoil. I've only ever used aerosols of ACF 50 and no more than 2 per year with more than one bike . I see it advertised in what looks like a Litre with a trigger spray which might be the way to go.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

stivesvelo

Postby stivesvelo » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:29 pm

Yea that's what I was talking about, a trigger/hand sprayer not an aerosol, much easier to control than an aerosol or pouring it out of the bottle.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:46 am

nab 301 wrote:I have used ACF 50 over the years , and also FS 365 from scottoil. I've only ever used aerosols of ACF 50 and no more than 2 per year with more than one bike . I see it advertised in what looks like a Litre with a trigger spray which might be the way to go.

This what I've ordered. It seems better bang for your buck and almost certain to cover both bikes with ease :)

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:58 am

I've used ACF-50 for years, at the moment I've got a non-aerosol trigger spray bottle with a larger refill (can't remember where I get it from).

It's a good penetrating fluid too, but I generally use it as a rust-preventative for winter commuting: Spray on when the weather deteriorates and leave until around April/May, with occasional re-applications if caught in a downpour.

It eats rust like you wouldn't believe. On my 3rd Rockster, which was 2nd hand with 1200 miles at 2 years old, the final drive "cup" (the hollow part in the middle of the FD crown, behind the central hole in the rear wheel) was solid rust - fill with ACF-50, pop in a plug to the wheel, and leave. Next time the rear wheel came off: Boom the rust was Gone!. :D
non quod, sed quomodo

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:01 pm

Wear gloves with ACF50, it rots human flesh given the chance….

I’m also trialling TechCote Anti Corrosion Spray available ex EBay. ACF goes on quite thick from the spray can and Tech Cote is thinner with good reviews. J

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:54 pm

RiceBurner wrote:I've used ACF-50 for years, at the moment I've got a non-aerosol trigger spray bottle with a larger refill (can't remember where I get it from).

It's a good penetrating fluid too, but I generally use it as a rust-preventative for winter commuting: Spray on when the weather deteriorates and leave until around April/May, with occasional re-applications if caught in a downpour.

It eats rust like you wouldn't believe. On my 3rd Rockster, which was 2nd hand with 1200 miles at 2 years old, the final drive "cup" (the hollow part in the middle of the FD crown, behind the central hole in the rear wheel) was solid rust - fill with ACF-50, pop in a plug to the wheel, and leave. Next time the rear wheel came off: Boom the rust was Gone!. :D

This is what both my bikes require.

The newer 2016 plate is rustier than the 1997 plate. Both Honda VFR's. The nineties were def the best time for bikes both in design and build quality.

Return to “Boxerbanter”