Hibernation

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

ianbcr

Hibernation

Postby ianbcr » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:18 pm

Have we turned into bears and gone to sleep for the winter :?: gone quite on here, well ill kick off and say i did have a wander around the bike show, didnt buy anything as I didn't need anything even a new bike. Took the missus for the first time as when i do go i usually go alone. some nice new bikes coming out with their new technology but to me all new bikes seem the size of mini motos to me unless your after an adventure bike. and they look as though they've be squashed. unless my age has put me looking through glass bottom vision :shock: .Think now if i do go again it wont be for a few years. So has anyone got any plans to their bike through winter.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Re: Hibernation

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:12 am

I haven't ridden since September, (didn't even clean it when I put away), but I'm sure the Rockster will be fine if I need it.

Got another Rockster to re-commission, but right now it's cold out there in the shed and there's infinite better options in the house for things to do in the evenings. But that will change and things will happen.

I think as a get older, and ride less (I'm now a "work-from-home" employee rather than a "daily-commuter") the bikes are getting further down the list of priorities (having my very first motorcycle stolen by scrotes recently also knocked me back psychologically, :( )
non quod, sed quomodo

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:19 pm

I also went to the Bike Show (but only because I had free tickets from BSA) - seems to get smaller each year with less bargains - it was nice to see more british boutique brands like CCM, BSA and Langen but the prices were astronmical!.

My father passed away in October, so we are currently clearing his house ready for sale so I have a Triton, Yamaha RD350 YPVS and a Triumph Tiger Cub trials bike to now look after as well as my own BSA A10 Gold Flash and R1150R.

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

GRAgusta

Postby GRAgusta » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:27 pm

Hibernation? Yep that is about right.

Last time out on a bike was 14th October.

Current situation, all cosy wrapped till Spring:

ImageIMG_3248 by gawaine appleby, on Flickr
ImageIMG_3249 by gawaine appleby, on Flickr
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:02 pm

All in hibernation down here in the South West but that’s more to do with me being more and more wimpy every winter :mrgreen:

Gawaine I’m hoping that those are Jenny’s bike under those floral covers and yours are wrapped up in much more manly fabric.

[smilie=sofa.gif]
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:16 pm

I haven’t been out for a couple of weeks but as I do most of my riding with a local club (average age about 65 ) and we tend to keep riding all year unless it’s really freezing or snowing. I guess between early Nov and end of Feb we may miss 7 or 8 rides. My GS has a recall and it’s going in on 20th Dec
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:53 pm

last ride Mid October. Two bikes surplus to requirement could not sell them at the price I thought they were worth ( and even discounted) Never went to bike show.... and why? When manufacturers release them on the net pre shows and bloggers galore give you all aspects of them close up.

Even getting slightly bored looking at the You Tube bloggers who (mostly) are keen to show a bike they don`t own and promote some shxte from their sponsors.

Lost all interest in Bike Racing and tbqh motor sport in general.

Could not do a Continental tour this year, It will probably not happen next year either.

Still fancying another Guzzi even tho I mistakenly picked the wrong one for our needs last time.

Not ready for giving up yet admitting other things in life have prioritised our focus.

Hopefully the Mo Jo will return.

Can you get little pills for these symptoms to?

Edit. The new 24 R129t has caught my eye .. the cruiser variant.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:53 am

It is not the end of the world mate,try an MX5 or a more expensive sport car,you may be pleasantly surprised,especially living where you do.Happy New Year to you both and everyone else.
Reg & Gwen.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:06 am

Mine are tucked up although here in sunny (not) Warwickshire it's been well over freezing so no salt to avoid. I'll just grab opportunities to get some miles on as they arise. Even if it's short it gets the engine running etc.

We've just spent a couple of weeks on a road trip in Tasmania (pics to follow if I can get my act in gear). A family affair so we hired a ute and explored their beaches and national parks on foot. If you want winter sun then Tassie is seriously worth a look and it's motorcycling heaven. It's spenny to get to but there's no traffic, no potholes and no litter; and everyone we met was delightful. Choose wisely and you can have any combination of fast straight or slower curves, going on for miles at a time. Various outfits hire bikes locally and I'm investigating a return...

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:11 pm

Last ride for me was 20th December although so if our group went in on 24th and the 28th. Looking forward to getting out on Sunday - forecast is dry, partly sunny and a high of 4c.

With all the current rain there will be no salt left in the roads so if it doesn’t get cleaned for a day or two it won’t matter.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:12 pm

This winter I decided I'd lost interest in trying to keep multiple bikes clean and salt free so hibernated then all except the 125 Honda purchased new in 2019 that I tend to use for urban commuting. The reasoning being that it seems to rust regardless of the attention it gets , exhaust painting has become an annual service item . I ended up covering nearly 2k miles over a 4 week period . Good points are , over 300miles per tank (12.5 litre ) feeling like a 16year old again while struggling slowly up hills ( maybe that's not a good point!) Getting to the top of the incline and making up time on the way down the far side....
Bad points , none really once you acknowledge that it's only a 125.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:10 am

Had a spin over to the cat and fiddle to Matlock to try out my Xmas present a new GoPro

Went very steady, combination of average cameras and humongous pot holes.

https://youtu.be/7rSldQ6luKE?feature=shared

Been commuting in mostly on the 800GS but in the i3 when it was particularly icy
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxerbanter”