1200 S

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:38 am

Paul wrote:Mmmmm..... Not sure I'm ready to splash my hard earned on that. I do of course reserve the right to change my mind at a later date when I've seen on in the flesh, but...

not as bad in silver...

I prefer it in the red and silver.Seems to break up the understatement.
Quite like the yellow too.
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:41 am

Hey,just noticed that the S doesn't appear to have to have the 2 lambda probes in the header pipes like the GS does.
What do ya reckon?
Bailey.

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:28 am

Yeah it does. Almost immediately below the fat part of the spark plug cover. You can just see where it joins to the header in the pic of the silver bike above. And on the other side, it's just behind the oil level sight glass.

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:32 am

With the poxy pillion seat and the slightly gynaecological look to the exhaust, I can only conclude that the engineers misunderstood the instruction "They will need 2-up capability". Must have got lost in the translation! :lol:

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:30 pm

Hi Neil,
Nothing wrong with the GS, In fact it grows on me more and more as I put the miles on it. As Chris has pointed out before its dead easy to cover distances on ' big trailes' The S does have a special place in my heart though so I guess I will wait to see the new one in the flesh and take a test ride before any serious decisions are made. My usual dealer has allready been ringing me chasing a sale but at the end of the day it may well be to much of a single purpose bike for my needs.

Regards Peter.

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:12 pm

mdouglas wrote:With the poxy pillion seat and the slightly gynaecological look to the exhaust, I can only conclude that the engineers misunderstood the instruction "They will need 2-up capability". Must have got lost in the translation! :lol:

I wouldn't have thought the engineers would have had any say in it. Things like where the exhausts go and what shape the seat has are almost certainly marketing decisions.

Anyway, I rarely tour; my wife hasn't ridden pillion in 13 years; and I don't do my shopping on the bike, so if the price isn't too ridiculous, I'm definitely very interested.

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:12 pm

boxerpan wrote:Looks just like Sandbars' creation with the c/f and marlboro pink to me :lol:

OI!!!!

:twisted: C/F and Aprilia Red :twisted:

sandbar

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:41 pm

sandbar wrote:
boxerpan wrote:Looks just like Sandbars' creation with the c/f and marlboro pink to me :lol:

OI!!!!

sandbar

Has that thing got a health warning?!

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:56 pm

sandbar wrote:

OI!!!!

sandbar

The photo is a bit blurry....is that an BM or a ratty old RD500 with fag packets all over it ?
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:07 pm

boxerpan wrote:
sandbar wrote:

OI!!!!

sandbar

The photo is a bit blurry....is that an BM or a ratty old RD500 with fag packets all over it ?

Ahhhhh...it's one of them 'pop down the road for a bag of chips' bikes.
Reminds me of 2 stroke youth....FS1ES and all that.
Oh boll*x.....forgot the milk and Rizlas.

winger

Postby winger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:39 am

Think the new S looks great,but it's a single seater,so why buy a single seater with a 120hp engine when you can buy a Gixxer thou with another 50hp and cheaper???,or a ZX10 or R1 or Blade,Mille the list goes on!!.

It took BM's marketing dept 3 years to fathom out how to sell the S,looks like that single seat on the new S has just cut their target group buy half!!! i'll be interested to see how they get on.

Chris

slipboxer

Postby slipboxer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:02 am

winger wrote:Think the new S looks great,but it's a single seater,so why buy a single seater with a 120hp engine when you can buy a Gixxer thou with another 50hp and cheaper???,or a ZX10 or R1 or Blade,Mille the list goes on!!.

It took BM's marketing dept 3 years to fathom out how to sell the S,looks like that single seat on the new S has just cut their target group buy half!!! i'll be interested to see how they get on.

Chris

Here here.

I love my S but BMW have stripped a lot of it's flexibility. MCN reckon it will be priced at about £9000 which is just too much. Bugger that when you can get a pre-reg 55 plate R1 for £7999 max. and get 178bhp & the same flexibility.

Plus you could pick up a used K1200S for that :D

Steve.

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:44 am

bigblackfalco wrote:
boxerpan wrote:
sandbar wrote:

OI!!!!

sandbar

Ahhhhh...it's one of them 'pop down the road for a bag of chips' bikes.
Reminds me of 2 stroke youth....FS1ES and all that.
Oh boll*x.....forgot the milk and Rizlas.

Well you are all wrong!!

It is not RD500, FS1E - it is just a picture :cry: :cry:

But on the bright side - 5 pictures of the Sandbar Carbon Fibre Special in a thread about the new R1200S.

How cool is that????

sandbar

gus

Postby gus » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:45 pm

Hi
I think the front/side fairing is too bland looking,but i like the rear tail unit and seat.Looks like you will sit in the bike,just like a SPORTS bike.Power and weight figures are good.Nice little details like indicators in mirrors,levers etc etc.Overall,i think they have built a good SPORTS bike.Ok it dont compete with the lastest litre sports bikes on power,so what.How many times have you humbled those kind of bikes on your S?If it handles aswell or better than the current S,and i believe it will.Then it will hold its own against the current crop of sportsbikes.
People may choose the S because its different to the rest or are brand loyal.I really like the flat twin engine,some people like triples some fours,its what floats your boat that makes you decide which one.I think most people buy with their heart rather than with their head,so i dont think the price hike over other bikes will come into it.I dont think it will attract many other sportsbike owners to switch brands though,as it aint got the power figures of those bikes.
I will take a test ride on one just to see how much they have improved upon our current bikes.
gus

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:50 pm

Hi Gus,
I reckon your comments are spot on, Like you I really like the flat twin and will own up to letting my heart rule my head!!

Regards Peter.

Return to “Boxerbanter”