1200 S

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

winger

Postby winger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:44 pm

If i'd have let my heart rule my head i'd never have bought an S thats for sure!!!.

Chris

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:57 am

julian wrote:
hjr1100s wrote:I've decided I like it!

Even in red and zilver:

HJ

Finding Nemo

On the risk of being a pervert, I want to LICK IT!!! :shock: It looks like a lollypop!!

HJ

Boxerlass

Postby Boxerlass » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:26 pm

I have 2 problems with the new S.

Firstly, I have never been a fan of the Duccati frame and this new model has adopted that style.

Second, I have enough problems with the seat height on my current S
See:-
http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2791
and this bike is 830mm high! I doubt I'd even get my toes on the ground.
BMW seem to have completely forgotten us vertically challenged riders. :(

Pauline
Girls just wanna' have fun!

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:29 pm

In the words of the Bard...

'It looks shite'

I thangwe.

julian

Postby julian » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:16 pm

Why is the black colour the only one with silver wheels :?:

I rather like it.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

winger

Postby winger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:42 pm

'It looks shite'

Bloody hell!!!! and thats from a Harley Ferguson owner!!!

Chris

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:47 pm

winger wrote:'It looks shite'

Bloody hell!!!! and thats from a Harley Ferguson owner!!!

Chris

My Harley's beautiful.

macuser

Postby macuser » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:07 pm

...but is it red & white stripes?

8)
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must set yourself on fire."

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:32 pm

Gromit wrote:In the words of the Bard...

'It looks shite'

I thangwe.

I thought my 'the design doesn't flow' comment was a little more diplomatic :wink:
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

macuser

Postby macuser » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:43 pm

maybe so, but gromit's precisely hits the spot :wink:
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must set yourself on fire."

Rods

Postby Rods » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:36 pm

certainly to the point gromit! what was it you said about the buell ulysses?

a-jay26

Strange....

Postby a-jay26 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:49 am

The more i look at the stripey blackpool rock one...... I think i might like it??? Should i seak some help???

BMW have always been expensive (I've got an 03 BCR) so i hope they don't price this one out of the league. Yes a GSXR is faster and cheaper, they also depreciate faster and every one and their dog has got one. I really like the fact that I have never seen another Boxer Cup in my area, and that i ride something 'different'..........and a red stripy bike sure is different.....would matching leathers be too much???? yes i am kidding!!

How much would it be to re-spray the fairings as they aren't too big??

It would have to be good though, cause I'm not sure about forking out a few grand to buy the same bike again.

that's my 1p worth.
Andy Stewart

May the Force be somewhere!

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:42 am

gus wrote:Hi
I think the front/side fairing is too bland looking,but i like the rear tail unit and seat.Looks like you will sit in the bike,just like a SPORTS bike.Power and weight figures are good.Nice little details like indicators in mirrors,levers etc etc.Overall,i think they have built a good SPORTS bike.Ok it dont compete with the lastest litre sports bikes on power,so what.How many times have you humbled those kind of bikes on your S?If it handles aswell or better than the current S,and i believe it will.Then it will hold its own against the current crop of sportsbikes.
People may choose the S because its different to the rest or are brand loyal.I really like the flat twin engine,some people like triples some fours,its what floats your boat that makes you decide which one.I think most people buy with their heart rather than with their head,so i dont think the price hike over other bikes will come into it.I dont think it will attract many other sportsbike owners to switch brands though,as it aint got the power figures of those bikes.
I will take a test ride on one just to see how much they have improved upon our current bikes.
gus

I think you're right Gus. I don't think it will swing a lot of people either way. Anyone with a small hampton who must have the latest and greatest and fastest and most powerful bike so that they can only ride at 40% rather than 50% of its potential (as they probabby did with their old bike) will get themselves a jap deathmobile anyway. Any tw*t can go fast in a straight line. Its as simple as farting. It is only when it comes to the corners that any skill is involved and I think in this arena the BM will be an absloute weapon. It looks pretty inoffensive and will probably grow on you. As for covering big miles - who knows, but I reckon BMW have a lot more experience in this area than most of us and will have tried it in most situations so keep an open mind and see what configurations and options they offer. They only opinion you can form at this point is an asthetic one - no other comment can count until we all have a go IMHO

Jason

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:32 am

The one thing which does worry me, and this is where less mainstream (ie non-Jap) manufacturers suffer at the hands of the press, is that if it isn't totally stunning to ride, the journos will give it a right slagging. Or at least just go for the old 'it's a BMW therefore weird etc etc' chestnut.

99% of those who write in the magazines have such a narrow envelope of bike appreciation that anything which is a bit left-field doesn't, often, get good airtime. And Johnny Gixxer-pants believes everything he reads.

Rods

Postby Rods » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:59 am

Gromit wrote:The one thing which does worry me, and this is where less mainstream (ie non-Jap) manufacturers suffer at the hands of the press, is that if it isn't totally stunning to ride, the journos will give it a right slagging. Or at least just go for the old 'it's a BMW therefore weird etc etc' chestnut.

what are the odds on the all the mags saying how crap the switchgear is?! :roll:

Return to “Boxerbanter”