1200 S

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:11 pm

Rods wrote:
Gromit wrote:The one thing which does worry me, and this is where less mainstream (ie non-Jap) manufacturers suffer at the hands of the press, is that if it isn't totally stunning to ride, the journos will give it a right slagging. Or at least just go for the old 'it's a BMW therefore weird etc etc' chestnut.

what are the odds on the all the mags saying how crap the switchgear is?! :roll:

It's a bit like driving/riding on the continental side of the road - switch from one to the other and it becomes second nature. If the bike is vibrating like a jackhammer it must be the BM, use boththumbs even tho' you can't feel them. If you can feel your fingers it must be a Japsicle, only left thumb required. Easy.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

leitzscope

Postby leitzscope » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:02 pm

The black 1200S is a brilliant, beautifully balanced aesthetic design. Not keen on the Duke tubular steel bits, old hat. Horses for courses, why does every bike have to be a 200 mph high frequency vibrating four cylinder wedge with rounded off corners. My S is powerful enough for sustained high speed riding down continental mororways, effortless, fast, fun packed crossing of mountain passes - its a great all round bike, and it doesn't have a bloody chain (or a rubber band Gromit). I'll bet the 1200S is a fabulous ride - if I could afford it I'd buy one (the other colours look disgusting).

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:08 pm

Looks nice here...

But I'm not liking this angle at all...

Although I find the red/white Colgate version strangely endearing...

Perhaps lose the stripes, but keep the tail unit a different colour to the front section.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:24 pm

Admit it Richard,
Its growing on you, Time to come home maybe???

Peter.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:26 pm

herrman wrote:Admit it Richard,

Peter.

:lol:

Too impractical for me, Peter - although it has crossed my mind that in some ways it's my duty to get one. :D

The Harley's going in for some engine work (big bore/cams etc) on monday so I've got to keep it until at least Christmas. ;)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:28 pm

Saying that, lose some of the bodywork, keep the wheels/pipes etc and if that then makes an R1200R I'll be breaking down BMW's door to get one!! :)

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:51 pm

Richard,
I'm working the other way, The GS is staying pretty standard until the decision is made. In many ways I do want to keep the GS BUT the S will always have a very special place in my heart and my arm would not take to much twisting to put a deposit down on a Black/Yellow factory fitted Ohlins/6inch wheel/tinted screen/heated grips -------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NO NO NO I CANNOT AFFORD IT!!!!

Peter

minivin

Postby minivin » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:50 pm

Ummm..... am I reading BMW sales literature correct...... no option of PANNIERS, crouch and pass a brick that's why I brought my R11S, I've gone touring with it, off to rallies, carried the xmas presents to my neices, carried Land Rover Leaf Springs and Gearboxes on the back (weird handling, but a few twists of the pre-load and she kept going), shopping, filled with beer for drinking sessions over friends, and I'm going to achieve that with no panniers on the R12S........ if the engine is a straight swap I may grab that in the future but other than that my R11S rules the roost :wink:

julian

Postby julian » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:04 pm

Peter.

Don't worry Peter, Gromit didn't like wine when he first saw the ingregients - bit too fruity sounding he thought. It all made sense after a couple of barrels. :D Same with the new S I'm sure.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:49 pm

julian wrote:

Peter.

Don't worry Peter, Gromit didn't like wine when he first saw the ingregients - bit too fruity sounding he thought. It all made sense after a couple of barrels. :D Same with the new S I'm sure.

Didn't like wine?!?!?!? Did his mother ever tell you what was in his bottle at bedtime?
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:40 pm

I reckon Gromits bedtime bottle was filled with Castrol 'R'!!! T'was the morning bottle that was full of the finest Red

Peter.

Rods

Postby Rods » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:57 pm

Gromit wrote:
Too impractical for me, Peter -

... and your current steed is practical how?! :shock: :wink:

apart from the fact that you're highly unlikely to damage your licence at 17mph :P ... bite damn you!!

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:13 pm

Rods wrote: ... bite damn you!!

Hey...hang loose dude 8)

Anyway, it'll have another 15bhp/20lbs torque after tomorrow (so that'll be double what it had) ;)

Rods

Postby Rods » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:06 pm

hey great that means you'll be able to keep up... when i'm on my raleigh :lol:

a-jay26

Postby a-jay26 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:19 am

Here is a site that has some good pictures.

http://www.kanai.net/weblog/archive/200 ... /18h26m17s

How do I insert an image in this post??????

Ta
Andy Stewart

May the Force be somewhere!

Return to “Boxerbanter”