Perfect Accompaniment for Browsing

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

mdouglas

Perfect Accompaniment for Browsing

Postby mdouglas » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:50 pm

Some mates at work told me about a new, personalised internet radio station and it's the poodle's privates.

Go to http://www.pandora.com/ and enter an artist or track that you like. Is instantly starts streaming an endless succession of tracks that it believes are similar. And it's pretty good at coming up with some great choices. I have no idea what algorithm it uses but the whole site is part of something called the "Music Genome Project".

You need to register with a US ZIP code (any valid format one seems to work) as they are only licensed to stream to the US.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:50 am

How cool is that?
I've setup my very own Tom Waits radio stn :D I think I'll add some ZZtop and then Rush.

very very quick streaming too

thanks for the link

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

revolver550

Postby revolver550 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:03 am

Sites like this confirm that the web is the greatest invention since the printing press. Thanks a million for the link,
Now will Ken Bruce and Steve Wright please retire to the same noel and DLT went before them.

Rods

Postby Rods » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:28 am

bloody awesome - i know have radio stations dedicated to guns and roses, iron maiden, zz top, sting, radiohead, chick corea, keith jarrett, courtney pine, and dire straits :D

doesn't seem to have and mendlessohn or wagner though :oops:

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:05 pm

Good stuff indeed.There aren't many DJ's that 'teach' anymore.They all play for record companies.Music should come from the heart.
This kind of concept could give the music industry the boost it is so in need of.
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:16 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:Good stuff indeed.There aren't many DJ's that 'teach' anymore.They all play for record companies.Music should come from the heart.
This kind of concept could give the music industry the boost it is so in need of.
Bailey.

Has anyone got this working in FireFox? Or is it IE only?
non quod, sed quomodo

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:32 pm

It's probably not your browser but your choice of music that's causing it to fail :D

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:05 pm

RiceBurner wrote:
bigblackfalco wrote:Good stuff indeed.There aren't many DJ's that 'teach' anymore.They all play for record companies.Music should come from the heart.
Bailey.

Has anyone got this working in FireFox? Or is it IE only?

It works with both Firefox and Safari on my mac.
IE is the biggest lump of doo dah on the planet.....even Microsoft have given up with it for the Mac!!!
Bailey.
Last edited by bigblackfalco on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:08 pm

Nice to see on the Forum that not only have people got good taste in bikes but computers as well :lol: Regards Bob.

crucial

Postby crucial » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:38 pm

It definitely has it's moments. I put Bjork in and the first couple of tracks were ok, but these were swiftly followed by Cilla Black and David Essex (Rock on........no less) :? :lol: :lol:

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:42 pm

Anyone here use Launch?

(on Yahoo) - same sort of thing, but not in Flash (which I find is a memory hog). only downside - it only works in IE.
non quod, sed quomodo

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:30 pm

It definitely has it's moments. I put Bjork in and the first couple of tracks were ok, but these were swiftly followed by Cilla Black and David Essex (Rock on........no less)

Bjork, Cilla, David Essex - All have unitelligible accents and strained voices. Sounds like it's a bit closer than you think!

I put in David Bowie and got West Life!!!! Not a bad swap conseidering some of his latest stuff.

cc mac

BROWSING AID

Postby cc mac » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:25 pm

Absolutely brilliant. Started with Pixies, will try Zappa and some obscure world music next, and maybe some of the more progressive house. From Mozart to Beefheart, that's my taste.
Watching you Focker!

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:19 am

magic! Began with the Liquorice Lemons and it immediately segued into the Marshmallow Maestros. Can't fault it there. Currently playing "Mucus Mambo" by the Cubanosnots. I love this stuff!
Come on down to a FLASH weekend break in South West France!
Rufty-Tufty, tassled, Bikers ONLY. No cars please! (unless it's a Volvo Estate with a carbon fibre tow-bar)

Check it out on: http://www.flashtours.co.uk

Return to “Boxerbanter”