Laser system pros & cons.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

oyster

Laser system pros & cons.

Postby oyster » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:15 pm

No, not the sort that zaps brainless car drivers, but the exhaust. I had a Remus Y pipe and was well impressed with : ease of fitting; quality of finish; performance improvement (+ stock silencer); slightly more fruity exhaust tone; no noticeable reduction/increase in fuel consumption. Jolly good all-rounder, well worth the money. :D
Along came the opportunity to try a Laser system, so I bought it. Once again the existing bits were a breeze to whip off. The Laser Y piece bolted up o.k., a bit fiddly with the support bar alighnment. But the silencers!! :evil: Why are they so difficult to get on??? The support rubber bushes are a lot thinner walled than the originals, so may cause more vibration in the rear sub frame and cause tail bulbs to blow. Unless the silencers are 'coaxed' well onto the connector pipe and mounting lugs, they will bump against the tail unit and again, their vibration will cause damage to the bulb and the plastic. And the Lamda sensor is in a different place, so the wiring has to be re-routed. So my silencer cans now have the uniform look that I have read about elsewhere here, that somewhat modified, hammered look. And I was being as careful as I could.

When it was all properly in place, I started the engine. :shock: I like to be discreet when I am on the bike, well noise-wise anyway. NO CHANCE! It now sounds like a race replica. I really thought I had wasted my money. The bike now makes squirrels fall out of their dreys.

Today was one of those rare windows in the weather, after -4 C, snow and slush, trains cancelled due to frozen tracks (???) et al, it was a spring like morning. Sunshine. Roads drying off. Time to try the bike. After lunch I headed for the by-pass. I wanted to appologise to pedestrians as I passed them, it is so noisey. And, usually, never a policecar in sight, today there were three, so I had to be sensible.
Is the Laser worth all this grief?
As I grabbed the throttle onto the slip road for the by-pass, it was all worth it. The unrestricted, but baffled silencers allow the gas through at a healthy rate, MUCH better than the stock silencer. And it's VERY loud. It's most noticeable when putting about in town, not so bad on the open road.
Will I change it back? Not on your life!
I did get some info from a techie at Laser, this system alone gives about three more BHP. As far as I can tell, it's seamless, constant, no flat spots. The bike is quicker. Fuel consumption will inevitably go up, hopefully not by too much. I have decided not to bother with any different chip, from what others have said, they are probably not cost/performance effective and often actually cause more problems. So Karma hs been restored. And the sunlight twinkles pleasantly from the multi-faceted ends of cans. :D
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

winger

Postby winger » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:29 pm

Glad it works!!,but it's very simple really!!,put your hand over your mouth and put your finger up your bum,and you won't operate very well either!!!! give the passages a little space with an induct and open pipe and hey presto!!!!!

Chris

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:34 pm

winger wrote:Glad it works!!,but it's very simple really!!,put your hand over your mouth and put your finger up your bum,and you won't operate very well either!!!! give the passages a little space with an induct and open pipe and hey presto!!!!!

Chris

Succinct as ever :oops:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

winger

Postby winger » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:06 pm

Kin'ell i'll just get me dictionary out!!!

Al

laser pipe

Postby Al » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:06 pm

My bike (s sport) had a laser pipe,chip and carbon air pipe fitted when I bought it so I have nothing to compare it with other than a standard s which I test rode before opting for an ss, but mine feels smoother and sounds faster!!!!, but I do agree it does scare old ladies in town. My solution is to wear earplugs and not worry too much about plod, I get around 40-42 mpg is that about normal?
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

steve*mac

Postby steve*mac » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:50 pm

I have the Laser pipes and chip, and now the engine is getting loose, 24,000 miles it's running so nice.. and scares old folk..

Did a tour of Norway summer 05 and it sounded so good in all them tunnels... :shock:

If the baffles are in, I think its inside the law, by a rizzler but I think its ok..

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:48 am

If you use a laser Y piece with the laser end cans then i think its actually just a tad outside the law? Decibel wise.
Now my laser system IS bloody loud. I took the baffle ends from my crushed road legal laser pipes and ground them down to fit the race system, but its still a bit over the top noise wise. Cant think of any way to quieten it without straing to restrict flow a bit, so Im just going to keep fingers crossed.
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Return to “Boxerbanter”