Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:26 pm

Hi Bern you have a PM. Regards Bob

Huw

Postby Huw » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:40 pm

Stupid Question #42395

O.K - a very good friend who has moved on to pastures GS via a tractor side let me have his H.I.D (double) for my much loved "S" but before fitting I've acquired a K12RS which is taking the mileage load over the winter. The Bulbs seem to be the same.....can I, if I can find a suitable hanging space, fit the units to the "K" and be able to see whilst travelling the length and breadth of our septic isle at night?

Huw

P.S I haven't forgotten payment, Pierre - next time we meet up!! :oops:

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:23 pm

Huw,
As far as I know, if the bulbs are correct, then you should be able to fit them.
The kit I got seemed to be universal.
Mike.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:15 pm

As long as the K has the H1/H7 type lamps it'll be fine.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

tripe

Postby tripe » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:33 pm

kit has arrived,
the make is Pilot?
everything you need seems to be there and it looks easy to fit.
I need to get some longer cable ties so I can mount it in the fairing on top of the box behind the indicator unit?(not sure what the box is though)

it seems to require a bit of thought as to where to tie down the various bits of cable so they don't foul the steering.
Any better suggstions or advice would be appreciated.

BMW use brwon and yellow rather than red and white for the H1 bulb. Bmw say that brown is the negative.

If I can spare an hour over the weekend I will fit it.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi Huw,
As others have said I can't see there being any problems if the K12 uses the same bulbs as the S. Don't worry about the ££s I'm sure we will meet up in the near future and you will hear the GS before you see it now!! Will PM you over the weekend regarding May's trip (Ferries and suchlike)
Regards Pierre.

BR11S

Postby BR11S » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:57 pm

Henry,
Does it look like a bit of quality kit or just tat from china? Do you think the boxes will withstand the water sloshing about under a bike fairing rather than under a nice dry bonnet?
Have you got to get the wire cutters out or will the current headlight socket just fit a plug on the ballast?

Sorry for all the questions but I would rather pay slightly more if the quality is no up to much.
(although thats why I bought a BMW - how naive is that)

Bern

tripe

Postby tripe » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:32 am

Bern,
It looks reasonably robust and tucked inside the fairing should be okay. If a gs rider stuck the ballast under the beak and it survived then it should be okay.

The pictures on the website are accurate.

As to wire cutters, I think a pair of sharp scissors will do. You need to cut a 20mm hole in the ruber cover at rear of headlight to fit the grommet, otherwise its sjust connecting bits. The most time consuming bit will be using cable ties to attach the ballast securely,

probably won't fit it till Monday as I'm working but will let you know,

Henry

tripe

Postby tripe » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:22 pm

Its fitted and it works. Like a sad schoolboy I am waiting for it to get dark now so I can see the improvement.

Fitting was straightforward. You need to cut a whole in the back of the rubber headlamp cover, a 5 cent euro coin proved to be the perfect template. The rubber grommet fits in the hole nicely thoough I wonder whether I should pipe in any extra sealnt/grease around the grommet?

Care need to be taken to feed the "bulb" into the fitting as it is snug.

Mounting the ballast was the only fiddly bit. I screwed it onto the provided mounting plate and attached that inside the fairing on top of that black box on the offside. I might have used a few many cable ties and could well refit it more neatly later. All the connections appear to be tight. A bit more cable tidying needed.

So far I am very happy with it.

Henry

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:28 pm

Why wait til dark, mine was that good it nearly burned out the retinas of the MOT inspector who was daft enough to look at it whilst it powered up :roll:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear

bright until you hear them speak.

tripe

Postby tripe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:15 am

wow! the difference is phenomenal, even on just the one night ride I would recommend it unreservedly. Just need to get a good blue bulb for full beam and all is sorted.

upgrade now!

Henry

julian

Postby julian » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:46 pm

I saw Tripe's HID beam tonight when he handed over the other low beam to me. It is a MAJOR improvement to stock and needs to be seen to be believed. :sunny:

I'll fit it at the weekend as I need to change my broken headlight first.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Return to “Boxerbanter”