HID (Jason are you around?)

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BR11S

HID (Jason are you around?)

Postby BR11S » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:46 pm

OK where is the best deal to be had on a dip beam conversion?
(Jason - seem to remember you had a fault on your unit did you get a satisfactory solution?)
Any one else want one to split a pair?
Bern.

(got feed up with the old user name)

Jason M

Re: HID (Jason are you around?)

Postby Jason M » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:38 am

BR11S wrote:OK where is the best deal to be had on a dip beam conversion?
(Jason - seem to remember you had a fault on your unit did you get a satisfactory solution?)
Any one else want one to split a pair?
Bern.

(got feed up with the old user name)

Hi Bern - got mine through a bloke called Pete at info@mcculloch-hid.com. I think Julian was interested too. Re my fault. I think it's my wiring as no body else has the problem and the light has been back for testing. When I hit a big bump they sometimes go out - just switch them back on again and it is fine. Mine is wired so as I can revert back easily so go through a multitude of connections - some in the light binnicle which I think are rattling over big bumps and causing the problem

Good luck Bern

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:27 pm

Hi Bern - I am quite tempted having followed all the posts about HID lighting. Are you thinking of splitting one of the Mucculloch kits from the US?

Where do people normally mount the ballast box and are they as plug and play as the advertising photos show?

Let me know. Regards Bob.

winger

Postby winger » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:13 pm

You show me an HID and i'll show you a different place to put the ballast box,i think were all useing different places.from being stuffed between the headstock and the tank,to swaying about in the breeze of the fairing bracket with a zip tye

crucial

Postby crucial » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:12 am

to swaying about in the breeze of the fairing bracket with a zip tye
That'll be mine then, been meaning to mount it properly for the last couple of years :lol:

madman

Postby madman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:34 pm

I saw kits for £120 on this site http://www.hids4u.co.uk/products.asp and thought that I may invest in a pair for our bikes. Has anyone any experience with this comany?
2004 Silver (mine)
2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)
Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

tripe

HID

Postby tripe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:58 pm

I was going to split a set from the Us with julian but found the sets at HIDS4U and as they are only £30 more it seems to make sense with regard to warranty issues. You only have to send it back to USA once to wipe out the savings, plus you might get hit on return with VAT and tax. I am trying to get in touch to see if they will do a special price for a bulk purchase. How many of you out there might be interested?

Henry

madman

Postby madman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:32 pm

I may want 2 kits if the discount makes it worth it.
2004 Silver (mine)

2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)

Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

tripe

HID

Postby tripe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:00 pm

HIDS4U have just given me a link that enables anyone on this site to buy a car set, ie two bike sets for 199 plus p and p(£10). Just click on the link below. In addition the pilot kit comes with a two year guarantee. I've ordered mine and it should be here by Friday. any problems call them and speak to Jenny.

Henry

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=131

note you have to pay through this link to get the discount.

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:07 am

Just for the dummy here. Do I assume that you can only do a dip OR a main with one of these kits? E.g. Half a car kit? I would have thought that the car kit would have converted both beams.

Rgds, Rob

gus

Postby gus » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi rob
Yes you are correct in your assumption.
You need a seperate ballast and igniter for each bulb.So i imagine a full car kit is for one side only,ie it does low beam and high beam.So two would be required for the complete works,high and low both sides.
gus

BR11S

Postby BR11S » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:32 pm

Henry,
When the kit arrive let us know what the quality is like. I would like to know which make the ballasts are. (I could of course just ring them and ask)

Bob,
You still up for a a dip beam set if I go ahead?
I will pay the upfront cost you could then just sent me a cheque.

Rob,
I think the kits come as 2 x H1 or 2 x H7 the bike needs one of each.

Bern.

tripe

HID

Postby tripe » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:09 pm

I'll post when they arrive and let you know what they are like. I know they have sold quite a few through the Porsche owners club and also to 1150gs owners so it might be worth checking the gsuser forum.
Jenny did mention that they are about to be VAT registered and that this will mean some form of price increase, though how soon this will be I don't know.

the ballasts are labelled Pilot though whether this is their branding or not I don't know.

Henry

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:31 pm

I bought a pair from HIDs4U @ £199 some months ago (for my GS) and fitted them with no major problems.
The ballasts were quite large and the wires were just a bit too short to place both ballasts under my tank where the abs would normally be.
I fitted one in the abs area and one under the beak.
One minor problem I have with them, is that when I switch from dip to main, there seems to be a slight delay while the main beam gets brighter.
Mike.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:14 pm

Boxertools wrote:One minor problem I have with them, is that when I switch from dip to main, there seems to be a slight delay while the main beam gets brighter.
Mike.

This is common to all HIDs as it takes a split second for the bulb to charge up. Some makes are marginally quicker than others.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Return to “Boxerbanter”