PX shocker

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Ade B

PX shocker

Postby Ade B » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:50 pm

Picked the S up from SL Motorcycles today with a clean bill of health... which was a relief. They put rear handling wierdness down to shagged/ square rear tyre.. Pilot Road with at least 5k on it - maybe its time to replace it...

Anyway, happened to start chatting with the sales bod there and after getting a very sensible insurance quote was seriously considering pxing the S for a used K1200S......

Until he told me how much he would give me for the S....:shock:

Guess how much I was offered for my 30k mile bog stock Titan silver 2000 SSport. It has a bit of a 'patina' of use and needs a new rear tyre, has tatty fasteners and the mechanical bits could do with a serious proper clean oh and a FBMWSH. But aside from that its not a million miles from the 4 sat on the forecourt for 5k

Ade.

ps. will definately do the next service myself....honest.
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

gus

Postby gus » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:36 pm

Hi ade
£3000.I,m erring on the generous side too.
gus

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:04 pm

Far too generous - £2000 ?

£2500 max - that's all I was offered against a K12 S back in October.

Ain't BM ownership great. :roll:

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

wicker

Postby wicker » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:53 pm

Hard economics. R1100S is yesterday's news. New kid - R1200S soon to arrive. If dealer already has 4 R1100S sitting on the shop floor in Jan they will probably sit for a few more months, and not make much profit.

I did think of trading my S against an ST but with 60K on the clock was only offered £2.8k.

Decided to keep the S as a second bike as it is chipped, has Vandelinde exhaust, Hyperpro shocks and, apart from drinking a bit of oil, runs well. It is worth more to me than any dealer. My S is a bit like an old friend; we have been to some fantastic places together.

David

winger

Postby winger » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Well Ade from your conservative discription,it's sounds like a shed!!! £2400,and i bet he shitting himself that you might say yes!!! if he's already got 4.

Although i was impressed that Wicker was offered £2800 for a bike with 60,000 blimey,someone's obviously running a registered charity.

I've had a change of tack over the years,haveing bought my first new bike in 74,didn't buy another new'un untill 97 competion bikes excepted,then bought my first new Tiger in 99 and P/X'd it against another in 2001 and gave the dealer £2500,and then afterwards thought jesus,if i'd have run it for another two years would have 5 grand to spend on a new'un and still have the Tiger!!!!.

Had my S, 6 years and my Tiger 5 this coming year,am due a new bike this year,will have to stack e'm up the back of the garage!!!

Chris

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:31 pm

Well Ade from your conservative discription,it's sounds like a shed

cheeky bugger, it is a clean and well maintained bike that has seen regular use and 3 winters (including this one) :roll: it just doesn't have that pampered look of those oft fettled indoor girly sunday bikes :wink:

admittedly had I given it more thought I would have replaced the cracked screen (under the shelf in the living room..), scuffed cylinder head (on order) and perhaps chosen a dry day to ride to the garage before requesting a quote.....

He opened with 2k and then I think he felt sorry for me and offered 2.2k.... It cost me 6k 3 years ago with 6k on the clock and 1 careful owner... I would have thought a dealer would be gagging to give a sensible price on a PX in Jan, it clearly works both ways. Shocking really, I remember my brother paying £1600 for an old vespa a couple of years back...

Am coming round to the keep it forever logic as its worth more to me than anyone else it seems - riding it back from Caterham today in the snow after riding a F650GS for 2 days I got a reminder of some of the good things about the bike: comfort, stability, enough oomph to keep me happy and there is a shed full of touring bits for this year's adventures - and I finish paying for it in March..... Run it for 2 years more and with the money saved buy an MV Agusta for a runabout. :D

Cheers for the replies, it should have dried out now after a loving wash, I'm off to bring it in to the centrally heated living room.

shed indeed....

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:01 pm

PX's in January is the same as px at any other time of year if they have four to get rid of already. The only way to buy well is buy now (cheap) and sell yours private around about Easter when everyone guets a couple days sun on their backs.
Just as an aside my 2001 bought new is now written down to £1095 on the books according to the accountant, so yours sounds about right if you look at things from a business point of view. Just think how much quality time the bike has given you to do better things than sitting in a car doing your commute :)
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Lightrunner

Postby Lightrunner » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:56 am

oh... I was in there today, around lunch time looking at the four they had lined up outside.

There's are priced a bit higher than the other dealers I was at though

(was yours a silver SS sat outside the front door at 12:50?)
Andy

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:07 pm

Lightrunner, Yep that was me, I was having a coffee trying to thaw my toes out before heading back.

Boxerpan not quite sure what my accountants make of ours (they keep recommending that I take it out of the business and charge the mileage back.....) Good point though.
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

cc mac

PX SHOCKER

Postby cc mac » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:40 pm

If it's any consolation. BM's are worth keeping as a long term proposition, that's one of the reasons I bought one. When I eventually get rid of mine I won't care too much what it is worth, as I would have had my moneys worth by then. They still hold their price better than a Jap, or you could buy a Harley if depreciation is more important.
Watching you Focker!

winger

Postby winger » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:33 pm

Hi Ade

Actually your statement about being clean and well maintained is an interesting one,everyone has their own personnel bench mark as to whats clean and whats maintained,i guess out all the bikes i've had(many years ago i was as bad as Richard!!) with the exception of half a dozen they've all been bought privately,in the end i learned never to travel more than 50 miles to look at a bike because people's idea of good condition varied so much.

I've found you can get away with rideing in the winter,or plenty of milege but not both,and as Lloyd said if you have then at least you've had you money's worth.

Chris

Dunny

Postby Dunny » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:44 pm

I've been looking at getting an used "S", but bizarrely given what you have said above, there doesn't seem to be many private bikes for sale :?:
Diesel only.....

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:53 pm

I would offer to sell you mine, but we've fallen in love again (for now....) Have decided that I was only up for a change 'cos I was (once again) avoiding wife pressure to finally buy a flat....

There were a few in MCN before Xmas, reckon most owners are holding out until spring before putting them on the market.

They now seem to present an excellent used buy given current values for older machines (ie. pre 03 :roll: )

Good luck with your search.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:21 pm

Well I sold my 2000 W plate with 26000 miles on the clock as well as my 2000 W plate with 20000 miles on the clock Tiger for a combined £7350.00. Well part exed them for an 06 new Tiger which meant that I got £350.00 cash back ok the BMW did have a lazer exhaust and a set of Hyper pro shocks but both bikes were beyond clean so I guess that it really does pay a dividend to keep them clean and sparkly.

And by the way I am not a fair weather rider I am just your regular pervert polisher.

(said he with his 2006 Tiger with 2800 miles on the clock in about 30 pieces for abit of a wash and wax) :lol:

Al

Postby Al » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:16 pm

I had been looking at ads for bikes since august before i got mine in october and most of the ones in biketrader then are still for sale now and the prices seem to vary a lot as well. sometimes i see prices that make me think i got a good deal and then i see one that makes mine look expensive (£4400 w ss 20000 mls from a dealer with full history, laser,chip and carbon intake and hugger) seems quite a few for sale in southern parts and not so much oop north.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Return to “Boxerbanter”