Should I...???

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

a-jay26

Should I...???

Postby a-jay26 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:34 am

I might change my r1100s Boxer Cup for a K1200s..... is it a good idea. I have ridden all the new BMW's and I like them all. I have had the boxer for three years now and had twins for yonks...just fancy a 4 this time..

Any thoughts...

Ta
Andy Stewart

May the Force be somewhere!

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:07 am

I had a go on a K1200S last year at the SLM open day. It is a fabulous machine, scarily fast and stable as a very stable thing on stabilisers :wink: If I was doing lots of high milage touring on the continent, I'd be tempted a bit.

What sort of usage do you make of your bike? For my particular circumstances, i.e. commuting, weekend blasts, and 2-3 weekends a year touring, it's an overkill solution. I suspect that my license wouldn't last too long with all that speed and power on tap and I wouldn't really want to risk laying a spanner on a K, whereas the S is fairly straight forward to do simple maintenance on.

Second hand S prices are not too great at the moment (see Ade's recent post) and they are not going to improve when the R1200S hits the street, so if you're being offered a good deal from your dealer...

Enjoy pondering the possibilities 8)

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:39 am

Paul wrote:.........and they are not going to improve when the R1200S hits the street......

Hmmmmmmmmm!!!! I'm not so sure.

My perception is that the value of 1150GS ( particularly the Adventure) has not been much affected by the R1200GS!

sandbar

julian

Postby julian » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:38 am

I'm the same as you and would like to try a 3 or 4 cylinder bike.

Personally, I found the K1200S too fast to derive any enjoyment at legal speeds, although if I needed a massive mile muncher then it would be a consideration.

I would probably go for a K1200R, Blade, or Speed Triples but think they are a bit small for me. Other consideration is a KTM 950 SM. Problem with them is the massive depreciation and service quality/availablity issues.

Having said that I got on My S yesterday fro the first time in two weeks and it still ticks all the right boxes for its main use - a daily commute through London.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:07 pm

…if you are accustomed to the low-rev-torque of the R/S, the K/S (or K/R) will disappoint you…
…did a test-drive on the K/R once, and just didn’t bought it because of its lack of torque…

…IMO there is only one 4-cylinder bike with loads of torque, and that is Suzuki’s GSX 1400 naked-bike…
…I almost, almost bought one last weekend !
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:50 pm

sandbar wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmm!!!! I'm not so sure.

My perception is that the value of 1150GS ( particularly the Adventure) has not been much affected by the R1200GS!

sandbar

Fair point but the GS has, over the years, become something of a biking icon ergo its desirability is still sky high. For exmaple, check out the prices of earlier 1100GS's aswell which sill command loadsamoney. Thing is, the S just isn't in the same ballpark, fine bike that it is of course ;)

As to the K12S - goes like f*ck and handles very nicely indeed. Comfy too but as to me buying one? I have less than sod-all self-control and would therefore lose my license in approx 7 mins...even with a headwind.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:59 pm

Having gone through the same thought process (and not ridden the K12S - brochure downstairs....) I agree with Julian, once the initial buzz of considering a new toy had subsided and miserable realisation that my once exclusive and prestigiously branded pride and joy was worth less than my battered R6, I decided that there is little else I really want or need at the mo. It still comes up shiny.

A non pristine bike is less hassle to pootle round london on and with all the kit I have acquired, a blast across a continent is only a decision and ferry ride away...

Will still sort out a test ride for the K12S (as soon as the weather picks up), you have to know don't you...

Best of luck with your shopping.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:24 pm

I had a go on one at the open day too. It was fantastic I have to say. Solid, stable and fast (very fast!). The reason I didn't is that it was a lot of money for a bike that I would be able to use the capability of. If I had the money to spare though it would be on my list. Inlet howl noise was v. cool. Lots of other 3 and 4 cyl machinery to chose from for a lot less money though!

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:19 pm

bmwonder wrote:Lots of other 3 and 4 cyl machinery to chose from for a lot less money though!

A moot point - I think that with the K12S you've got to really want one because of the badge etc (and 'just because') which if so then fair enough. Trouble is, a very clean 'busa can be had for around 4k which will do just about everything the K will - and lose less money when it comes to selling-up time.

Doesn't stop me liking the K though - I really enjoyed the test ride I had on one, and as you rightly say, it sounds fabulous when giving it some stick.

winger

Postby winger » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:00 pm

Those with a craving for a four cylinder won't go far wrong with a Fazer thou,you can buy e'm for peanuts,blimey there's no need to even sell a bike,more of an 'as well as' with a decent shock and fork fork re-valve you'll be a brave man to shake one of.

Jap multis are very addictive!!!,it took me 30 years before i got fed up with e'm.

Chris

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:46 pm

winger wrote:Those with a craving for a four cylinder won't go far wrong with a Fazer thou,you can buy e'm for peanuts,blimey there's no need to even sell a bike,more of an 'as well as' with a decent shock and fork fork re-valve you'll be a brave man to shake one of.

Jap multis are very addictive!!!,it took me 30 years before i got fed up with e'm.

Chris

'Tis true. The Fazer seems as planted as the S (now I'm used to it) and any ground lost in a corner to an S would be instantly made up with a twist of the throttle... it's seriously quick, maybe not as quick as a K12S but I don't suppose it'd be far behind on the road.

Wind protection isn't as good the S, I now get cold feet (no cylinders to warm them) and the riding position is more upright but I'm not missing the S like I thought I would.

Roll on the warm dry roads so I can dabble with (read: screw up) the suspension. I think the biggest lean angle I've had so far was last week round Hyde Park corner 8)

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

a-jay26

Thanks

Postby a-jay26 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:38 am

Forgot I had posted this!!! Good little chat.

I like my S, and at the moment it is sitting under it's cover waiting for the good weather. I hardly use it as I work offshore, but will have to now as we only have one car.

I agree with everyone....The K1200S is very nice and fast and smooth....but it is mega bucks for what it is. Every time I have have tested the other BMW bikes (ie all of them) I have always got back on my boxer cup and thought that it is just as good. I serviced it myself last time and it ran like a dream...........think I will just keep it........but I am trying to convince my other half that it is a wonderful idea to have a blade and an R1200RT......not getting anywhere though!!!

Thanks folks
Andy Stewart

May the Force be somewhere!

Return to “Boxerbanter”