Efficiency Vrs Character

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

revolver550

Efficiency Vrs Character

Postby revolver550 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:00 pm

There is an interesting article in Bike magazine this month about pitting newer versions of bikes against their old models, Fazer, CBR etc. The thrust being that constant improvements do not necessarily make for a more enjoyable motorcycle

I have just put a deposit on a year old Ducati S4R. And the crazy thing is I love it because it is not as refined as my S. We obviously all ride for different reasons, I am no long distance tourer but even so I realise that the Beemer is a more practical bike. It wont rot like the Duke, It feels more refined, probably wont let me down, has amazing handling and I think it looks great.

However it doesn't involve me. Its a bit like driving a modern sports car like the Z4, Fun but a bit bland. The Duke is like driving a Caterham. Frantic difficult but electrifying.

Having sold my previous 900 monster to buy my S I know about Duke foibles but mine never let me down in 6 years of ownership.

So now I'm faced with the decision, the German is a "better" bike in terms of transport but the Italian is "better" bike in terms involvement.
Plus the duke gives you that Phoarr! feeling when you open the garage.

Oh which to choose.????

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:37 am

Buy a Rockster.

it really is a much funkier and more involving ride than the "S".
non quod, sed quomodo

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:27 am

Blimey you are getting around this morning Ricey !

Love the look of the S4R, especially in the Blue, with the white stripe, my friend is looking at the 2R, but she's not sure as she's only a short arse. :roll: It'll certainly be entertaining, and if you don't like it you can always chop it for another S :wink:

ah decisions decisions. . . . .

Toodle Pip
:brave:
:wav:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Return to “Boxerbanter”