Ally Pally - worth the trip?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bmwonder

Ally Pally - worth the trip?

Postby bmwonder » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:14 am

Is the Ally Pally worth the trip? I'm in London but it would mean missing a morning or afternoon and paying £11 to get in. Done the NEC this year, but what Ally Pally like? Is it big enough to warrant going to? Are there many deals etc going?

winger

Postby winger » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:09 pm

If you need to ask the question,don't go.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:18 pm

winger wrote:If you need to ask the question,don't go.

Fair point.

I went last year and it was mostly pretty mediocre to be honest. Keep thinking 'should I go?' this year but I've no more time off this week which kinda decides for me. Shame in many ways as it's only 30mins or so away by Ringtinger*.

*The quickest, most stylish way to travel across Londres :D

winger

Postby winger » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:29 pm

We went sunday,in the door bang on 9,got a couple of hours in before the mob turned up and left at 12.

To me a show is a sum of the parts,just getting out,most shows there's always someone i know to speak to,have a wander round,if i see anything that jogs the memory,buy it and be glad that I(we) got out and about!!.

With likes of e-bay nowhere days who needs a show to buy gear,bought a brandnew pair of Daytona gortex boots the other day 73 quid!! same with helmets etc

The only thing i actually wanted to look at was the new S,although i had a turn up for the book when i got button holed by a tyre rep,your new Dymags come for your Tiger yet??? e'r no!!! well when they do i've got a brand new pair of tyres i want testing!!! e'r yea ok then!!!

A show is so many different things to different people,hence my original answer answer

sandbar

Re: Ally Pally - worth the trip?

Postby sandbar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:19 pm

bmwonder wrote: Are there many deals etc going?

See - its not a show - more of a market or a bazaar!

sandbar

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 am

....and your point is?

Half the fun of these things is seeing all manner of humanity and barrel scrapings (plus MCN girls of course). Bikes? What bikes?

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:43 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Lime

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:40 pm

I sneaked in for half an hour today, principally to see the R1200S, and I have to say I'm decidely luke warm about it. The rear end looks out of proportion with the rest of the bike and it doesn't really exude an air of quality craftsmanship. Will still go for a test ride, but it's slipping down my list of obvious replacement bikes for my 11S. It's a distant third behind a GS or Moto Guzzi Griso (which I've not seen in the flesh yet).

I didn't leave empty handed tho'. Bought myself a magnet on the end of a retractable car airial thingy, for retrieving nuts dropped deep inside the engine during speculative maintenance efforts. The best £1 I've spent in a while...

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Return to “Boxerbanter”