Mirror, horn, maneuver

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Adski

Mirror, horn, maneuver

Postby Adski » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:11 pm

While I don't actually do the above (but have done!) I was having a hard time where I couldn't think of how to put the word "horn" in the title without it sounding *ahem* dodgy. :lol:

Anyone have issues when needing to use the horn in such an event that using the horn is appropriate?

I often find myself angrily flashing an indicator and have yet to actually use the horn when I've needed it. :oops:
I've been riding the BMW since the start of the year after about 4.5 years of the traditional jap horn location but I thought I'd have got used to it by now!

Seems odd that the idle up switch is very easy to operate...but never used while riding and the horn button is a stretch away for my littleish hands.

Also...my right mirror is of the "zooming" type (concave?) which really bugs me - is this standard or a sign of a pattern part?

Adam
Mr Sensible.

gus

Postby gus » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:31 pm

Yep always flashed a indicator in anger at some twat then sounded the horn at some innocent driver! :roll:
Will be going back to jap/italian controls soon.Should be a laugh after 6 years of the BMW ones.
gus

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:36 pm

gus wrote:Yep always flashed a indicator in anger at some twat then sounded the horn at some innocent driver! :roll:
Will be going back to jap/italian controls soon.Should be a laugh after 6 years of the BMW ones.
gus
What is the chosen replacement Gus?? I'm not too sure what will happen when I get my licence back;not sure I want a bike at all!There's nothing that really inspires me and having 6 months minus cars and bikes has made me realise how bloody expensive they are to run.
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

winger

Postby winger » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:10 pm

The one sides Millie and the other is Falco.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:37 pm

winger wrote:The one sides Millie and the other is Falco.

What kind of glue do you brummies use?
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:45 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:What kind of glue do you brummies use?
Bailey.

It's yow how innit??

Bostin' :D

nab 301

Re: Mirror, horn, maneuver

Postby nab 301 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Adski wrote:
Anyone have issues when needing to use the horn in such an event that using the horn is appropriate?

I often find myself angrily flashing an indicator and have yet to actually use the horn when I've needed it. :oops:
I've been riding the BMW since the start of the year after about 4.5 years of the traditional jap horn location but I thought I'd have got used to it by now!

Adam

Its the one thing that i have always had a problem with (probably made worse by the fact that i spend a lot of time on conventional bikes as well)
However after one near miss too many at the end of last year combined with a waterlogged micro switch , I diccovered while repairing the switch that the horn and indicator switch can be swopped around . This leaves you with the lwr switch operating the horn albeit marked indicator . This has worked fine for me since.
Nigel B.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

winger

Postby winger » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:58 pm

Very simple didn't have time to steal both of the same bike!!

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:04 pm

winger wrote:Very simple didn't have time to steal both of the same bike!!

Is that as you ran away from the post office with the sawn-off under your arm :shock:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

gus

Postby gus » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:20 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:
gus wrote:Yep always flashed a indicator in anger at some twat then sounded the horn at some innocent driver! :roll:
gus
What is the chosen replacement Gus?? I'm not too sure what will happen when I get my licence back;not sure I want a bike at all!There's nothing that really inspires me and having 6 months minus cars and bikes has made me realise how bloody expensive they are to run.
Bailey.

Its just the beemer being bastardised with italian switchgear.
Mate i,m having serious bike withdrawal.I need a fix,cold turkey aint been fun.Sod the expense,how can you put a price on your enjoyment and fun.
You,ll be back.Just dont do it for a living.
Hope all is well and good with yourself.
gus
ps evostick in a sunblest bag.Trippy! 8)

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:33 pm

you should ride a vespa as well, the horn's on the other side.....

(as mine has no battery you get superb comedy horn noise which rises in pitch with the engine revs...)

is this a 'bmw should sort their ******* switch gear thread?

personally have experienced few probs but then I only spent 7months with 'the other sort' & the R6 aint got no horn..

Ade.
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:38 pm

It's a bit like driving on the wrong side of the road - change often enough and it becomes second nature.
If the bike below is vibrating enough to give you white finger syndrome it's the BM and your hands can't operate the switchgear anyway. If the bike has no vibes it must be a Honda and this can be piloted in the 'normal' fashion.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear

bright until you hear them speak.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:21 pm

But if it's an Aprilia the horn and indicator switches are still reversed - indicators down below and horn in the middle of the switchgear - so it still isn't 'right'.

You'll just be angrily cancelling your indicators - if you happen to have any on, that is.

Adski

Postby Adski » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:09 pm

Is the standard right hand mirror a standard one or does it have a zooming affect?
Mine's concave so it zooms...pretty much useless in my opinion.
Mr Sensible.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:54 am

Must admit - I've been tempted to swap the Horn button with the Indicator cancel button.

Not so much because the horn button is hard to find - more that I find the indicator cancel button awkward when trying to be precise with the throttle (exiting roundabouts etc).

Someone high up in BMW is determined to save face by continuing to push these cack-handed indicators?

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxerbanter”