I hit a car this morning

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Malc

I hit a car this morning

Postby Malc » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:27 pm

Filtering between stationary cars and as they start to move a bloke in the right hand lane makes a sudden dive for the left. I went round the car and felt the bumper brush my leg. Not hard, more like a feather brushing the outside of my boot. I wasn't going to stop but checked my mirror and his front bumper was hanging off, so I pulled over. It was either that of fall off laughing.

Not a mark on the bike. I'm sure the bumper was fixed properly when I first saw the car so I suppose I must have done it. The bloke spent quite a time looking at the bike trying to see where the contact was. So blade 1, car 0.

:D

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 am

Result! :D

Glad you were ok, obviously.

I know a I guy who hit a London Black Cab once - he was on an R1100GS. Wrote the cab off; ok, the GS was f*cked aswell but he did say it was kind of satisfying.

Filtering's always as its most dodgy when traffic's either just about to stop, or just beginning to move.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:41 am

Nice result Malc, before reading it I was presuming you'd come out of it OK as you were posting about it !
Was probably blue tac'd on for the MOT :roll:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

winger

Postby winger » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:30 am

I've no idea how you lot survive down there,but i certainley wouldn't have stopped if the bike was rideable,can you imagine hime telling the law!!! a motorcycle ripped my bumper off!! yea sure!!

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:33 am

winger wrote:I've no idea how you lot survive down there,but i certainley wouldn't have stopped if the bike was rideable,can you imagine hime telling the law!!! a motorcycle ripped my bumper off!! yea sure!!

Chris - riding in London traffic can be a real buzz! :D

I think seeing as there was a. no evidence of damage to Malc's bike and b. no evidence of damage to Malc himself, the driver would have had half of f*ck-all chance of getting any claim for repairs out of him.

This thread's cheered me up this morning. :)

Malc

Postby Malc » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:06 pm

I spoke with Carole nash this moring to report the incident as I knew he was going to try to get some money out of me. From my description they reckon I'm OK, so I called blokey. He says he had a mechanic put the bumper back and the bill is £100 plus VAT, how would I like to pay. I gave him the address of the insurance company and told him to try and get it out of them.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:10 pm

Malc - I reckon if a part of his vehicle was 'removed' by an impact you hardly felt, I'd say there's something not right with that vehicle.

If I were him I'd bite the bullet and make sure his bumper's held on properly next time.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:49 pm

So let me get this right. He tries to change lanes without looking or indicating, hits a filtering motorcycle knocking his own bumper off in the process and then expects someone else to pay for his mistake. :roll:

Two words, the second one's 'off'!

The only downside to this is that if you're up for renewal soon that little incident will count until it's been settled.

Personally, I wouldn't have stopped - no damage/evidence, no need.

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

gus

Postby gus » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:50 am

He,s lucky you wasnt riding a S.You would have wrote the car off.
Glad your OK.
gus

Malc

Postby Malc » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:19 am

Normally I wouldn't have stopped but the lanes at the bottom of the A1 are so narrow it's sometimes impossible to filter. In this case I didn't have anywhere to go. Also, I thought it would be wiser to stop and sort it rather than get a letter from plod for failing to stop.

Anyway, I have enough of Blade riding for a bit. For some reason I've developed a strange urge to buy a CCM R30.

julian

Postby julian » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:56 am

Those bumpers pop off quite easily.

Same situation here. Couple of years ago I removed one off a new Ford with the pot of my R1100GS after they moved into my lane at about 10mph. Heard a slight bang & didn't notice extent of damage until the driver started srceaming.

Wouldn't like to try it with my KTM though!
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:52 pm

'Stopping When You Hit Something' ,...... is this a new concept? Whatever next, ........ readable numberplates?
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

jivebiker

Postby jivebiker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:05 pm

A long, long time ago, I clipped the back of a car. He did an illegal right turn into my path, then slammed his brakes on to do another illegal right turn the wrong way up a one way street!

I swerved and clipped his exhaust with my boot as it slipped off the footpeg. It made rather a loud bang, so I stopped.

There was no visible damage to the car, though I had a circle cut into my boot toe leather.

The car driver insisted that we exchanged details, so I did.

Next thing I knew was that he was claiming for a new rear end on his car! Boot, bumper, rear bodywork, lenses... you name it, but no mention of the exhaust. The estimate was for nearly £2000.

Fortunately I had reported the incident to my broker (not the insurance company direct) who had logged the call, time date and details. When I went round to see him with the letter and claim from the car driver, he phoned this bloke up and told him to "F**k Off". He threatened to take action for insurance fraud against this chap. Now thats what I call an Insurance Broker!

Unfortunately he died a few years later. I bet I wont get that kind of back up from Carole Nash!
JiVeBiKeR

Whatever happened to Cherry Jubblies?

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:49 am

Why would you pay? Filtering is legal (so long as done with due care and attention etc. etc.). At the most this is a 50/50.

Return to “Boxerbanter”