Fodey

Postby Fodey » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:08 pm

5' 10" in old money... :wink:
2005 R1100S, silver, ABS, heated grips, pannier rails, carbon hugger

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:29 am

bigblackfalco wrote:
Fodey wrote::
Cheers.Yeah I looking at something that does lots of easy miles and will hopefully retain my licence for a long time.
Bailey.
?!

Never ridden one but I'm sure they're not much slower in a straight line than a std s (at least 130mph) and with that big fairing you might not notice the speed as much which would be even worse for your licence :)
Nigel B

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:53 pm

That's a good point Nigel, I'd agree I can't see it being much slower than the S either with the new engine, and as you say the speed will be deceptive with the whopping big fairing. . . . I also have to say that I find it strangely attractive in an alternative kind of way, bit like Uma Thurman I guess.....

Toodle Pip
:wav:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

wicker

Postby wicker » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:20 pm

Why don't you try the R1200ST instead of the RT. ST is closer in weight to the 1100S, bigger fuel tank gives >200 mile range and the fairing provides decent weather protection. The ST feels slightly front heavy and is not as flickable as my S however as a long distance tourer it is better than the S and without the weight of the RT, a Pan Euro or FJR.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:07 pm

wicker wrote:Why don't you try the R1200ST instead of the RT. ST is closer in weight to the 1100S, bigger fuel tank gives >200 mile range and the fairing provides decent weather protection. The ST feels slightly front heavy and is not as flickable as my S however as a long distance tourer it is better than the S and without the weight of the RT, a Pan Euro or FJR.

I'm sorry but I couldn't face lifting the garage door and looking at one of those, put me off riding a motorcycle :oops:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue May 02, 2006 6:54 pm

boxerpan wrote:I'm sorry but I couldn't face lifting the garage door and looking at one of those, put me off riding a motorcycle :oops:

What he said, which is a shame as the concept of the ST I find quite appealing, especially bearing in mind the direction the new S has gone in.

I finally got to booking a test ride on an ST today so nipped over to Oxford to have a go. First impressions: All rather soft and loose-feeling, especially after getting off the Streetrod which is extrmely taut and unyielding in the suspension dept. ST's motor felt good once spun up, and fuelled superbly low down to mean it had useful go from around 3000rpm. Motor was somewhay vibey though, especially at higher rpm's where it felt very similar to an 11S, although maybe a bit smoother overall. Good and smooth at a 90mph cruise though when not using large throttle openings. Handling didn't do much for me - didn't help as the bike I rode had a somewhat squared-off rear Z6 and the damping screw had been turned all the way out (why the hell do people do this??). The whole plot felt a tad vague tbh.

Screen/fairing seemed ok, bit noisy above 90mph but certainly effective - although of course damned fugly. Riding position very comfy, as was seat/pegs set-up. Could do big miles on one of these and still feel fresh.

All in all though, I'd say 6/10 for the bike - and probably 3/10 for its looks. Dunno if it'd grow on me or not. Don't think I'd take that chance.

Came back at which point, after chatting with the sales guy, I was thrown the keys to the K1200R. Yeeha!!! This thing's fast as fook - and sounds it too. Feels a bit quicker than the 12S simply because of the riding position/lack of bodywork. Engine's smooth under load but has a marked driveline vibration when decellerating from high revs (7000rpm+). Fi felt a tad snatchy compared to the 12S I rode last year - maybe this could be a set-up problem on some K's? Handling's excellent as are the brakes (felt better than the ST's tbh). Best thing though is the amount of GO whilst giving it the berries. The engine does sound absolutely fantastic; a really gutteral rasp low down and screams like a good'un above 8000rpm. Lots of character. Loved it - enormous fun. I'd certainly buy one, which is more than can be said for a few other bikes I've ridden recently (one of which was a Ho... you know what). ;)

winger

Postby winger » Sat May 06, 2006 1:29 pm

After the ST debacle went and rode a K1200S i think!!! the one with the fairing!!!,interesting to ride some great plus's but fuel injection at low speed is errrrr interesting and who the hell makes the transmission Massey Ferguson!!!

Steered and braked well two up,guy reckons he's never sold one without ABS how sad is that!!.

Return to “Boxerbanter”