R1200RT

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bigblackfalco

R1200RT

Postby bigblackfalco » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:06 pm

Any of you fine chaps happened to throw your leg over one of these beasts??
If so what was the verdict?
Cheers
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

Stevie

Re: R1200RT

Postby Stevie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:31 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:Any of you fine chaps happened to throw your leg over one of these beasts??
Cheers
Bailey.

I had one for a day as courtesy bike from John Clarks in Dundee last summer. Felt it would be impolite not to put some miles on it.
To begin with it felt like a bit of a barge, but once you get used to it, it's surprisingly capable and I actually quite liked it. It feels slow next to my R1100S (no mods, still got the cat etc.), but the handling is pretty good. I don't know how others feel about the latest generation of servo brakes, but I am not a convert, and on a test ride on a 1200GS, I felt like getting off and walking. On the RT, though, they seemed to suit much better - maybe it's the extra weight.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:22 pm

Stevie,I know that BMW have this thing about safety at the moment,but it'd be nice if servo assisted brakes were an option or at least switchable.
How did it feel weight wise?I've used the older 1100 Rt in the past and it felt a tad too heavy round town;is all this talk of weight savings just hype?
The fairing looks as big as a car/must give rider considerable protection.
Also did the bike you rode have the luggage on it?
Cheers
Bailey.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:49 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:Stevie,I know that BMW have this thing about safety at the moment,but it'd be nice if servo assisted brakes were an option or at least switchable.
How did it feel weight wise?I've used the older 1100 Rt in the past and it felt a tad too heavy round town;is all this talk of weight savings just hype?
Cheers
Bailey.

During my brief (60 mile) scoot round Nottinghamshire I found the weight was carried very well, the fairing was very very effective and I'm not sure how hot it would get round town if we have a summer this year :oops:The demo didn't have the luggage but it looks about the width of a half a car on the one they had in the shop. Felt lighter on its feet compared to the 1150RT I rode 18 months ago. If you can manage a jacked up S then I'm sure you'll cope with the touring model.
Didn't like the brakes one little bit.
The mirrors are good and it's got funny indicators :D
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:11 pm

boxerpan wrote:During my brief (60 mile) scoot round Nottinghamshire I found the weight was carried very well, the fairing was very very effective and I'm not sure how hot it would get round town if we have a summer this year :oops:The demo didn't have the luggage but it looks about the width of a half a car on the one they had in the shop. Felt lighter on its feet compared to the 1150RT I rode 18 months ago. If you can manage a jacked up S then I'm sure you'll cope with the touring model.

So you didn't think of trading in your 'Pan' garage ornament then.
I'm intrigued by how bad the brakes are.Are they linked?Why are they bad?
Bailey.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:29 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:
boxerpan wrote:During my brief (60 mile) scoot round Nottinghamshire I found the weight was carried very well, the fairing was very very effective and I'm not sure how hot it would get round town if we have a summer this year :oops:The demo didn't have the luggage but it looks about the width of a half a car on the one they had in the shop. Felt lighter on its feet compared to the 1150RT I rode 18 months ago. If you can manage a jacked up S then I'm sure you'll cope with the touring model.

So you didn't think of trading in your 'Pan' garage ornament then.
I'm intrigued by how bad the brakes are.Are they linked?Why are they bad?
Bailey.

The Pan is being put to good use as the only two seater in the garage for the coming season, just ride round its shortcomings :wink: It did ok today keeping up with Mr Cannings Tiger (even with its light wheels)up to Llangollen although that may have more to do with the slick Michelin test tyres he had fitted.
The RT they lent me had ABS which had linked brakes off the front lever - don't know about the foot pedal, never use it. It wasn't the linked I objected to cause I'm used to that with the H^nda, it was the all or nothing brakes around town, just like flicking a switch. They worked fine at speed.
Lloyd

winger

Postby winger » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:36 pm

My sphincter was working overtime!

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:05 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:Stevie,I know that BMW have this thing about safety at the moment,but it'd be nice if servo assisted brakes were an option or at least switchable.
Cheers
Bailey.

It did have luggage, and the weight is only really noticable at very low speeds. I rode an 1150RT a few years ago which I found a bit scary at low speeds, and the 1200 is definitely better.
The fairing did seem to offer good protection and it didn't really strike me as being all that huge, but I didn't spend much time in town with it.
In my opinion, the brakes feel really wooden and are quite sudden in operation. Are they linked? I didn't notice.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:21 pm

winger wrote:My sphincter was working overtime!

I'm so glad that June was on pillion duty to save me from that sight :oops:
Lloyd

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:23 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:Any of you fine chaps happened to throw your leg over one of these beasts??
Cheers
Bailey.

You got a job offer ? Thought you were off bikes
Lloyd

julian

Postby julian » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:56 pm

It was OK but not my thing. Just felt too big, understyled, and soul-less. The fairing round the pots was too far back and banged me shins. Think upping the seat would solve this. For pounding the motorway I'm sure it would be great.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:28 am

julian wrote:It was OK but not my thing. The fairing round the pots was too far back and banged me shins.
Well if you will be so tall wha'dya expect :lol:
Bailey(smaller is beautiful).

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:58 pm

Cheers
Bailey.

...no haven't ; but on my old, but very fine R80RT, riding is great (I truly mean that !), so I can imagine that riding a 1200RT can only be better (and that thing is faster, and such...)
...this year I did more kilometers on the RT than on my S...
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Fodey

Postby Fodey » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:45 pm

Well - I have to admit to owning one for a year and trading it in for the R1100S !
It's a good bike, no question and as many have commented, surprisingly quick and nimble for such a big beast. Gearbox is better than the R, IMO and the toys are fun (ESA, cruise etc.) but overall unless you do serious miles (and I don't) it ends up being a massively competent bike that never quite stirrs the soul.
One thing I noticed was that the seat is very wide. As a result getting your feet down solidly is more of a challenge that you might think. I ordered the lower seat option and that was fine. Screen is very good and the dashboard has useful things - like a fuel gauge (!)
Panniers are great - solid and waterproof and my other half thought the pillion provision was excellent. Although she did sit a bit far away from me and she would have preferred a closer fit !!! :lol:
2005 R1100S, silver, ABS, heated grips, pannier rails, carbon hugger

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:17 pm

Fodey wrote:Well - I have to admit to owning one for a year and trading it in for the R1100S !
It's a good bike, no question and as many have commented, surprisingly quick and nimble for such a big beast. Gearbox is better than the R, IMO and the toys are fun (ESA, cruise etc.) but overall unless you do serious miles (and I don't) it ends up being a massively competent bike that never quite stirrs the soul.
One thing I noticed was that the seat is very wide. As a result getting your feet down solidly is more of a challenge that you might think. I ordered the lower seat option and that was fine. Screen is very good and the dashboard has useful things - like a fuel gauge (!)
Panniers are great - solid and waterproof and my other half thought the pillion provision was excellent. Although she did sit a bit far away from me and she would have preferred a closer fit !!! :lol:
Cheers.Yeah I looking at something that does lots of easy miles and will hopefully retain my licence for a long time.
Bailey.
ps.how tall are you?!

Return to “Boxerbanter”