Varifocal glasses

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Neil178

Varifocal glasses

Postby Neil178 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:52 pm

Still trying to get used to my new(ish) varifocal lenses.
Traversing the living room is getting easier (how long does a bruise on a cat take to disappear?), although the stairs are downright dangerous wearing these things.
I have only tripped over a kerb stone once. Still, the lady I groped as I stopped my fall only threatened to call the police. Actually, she may have done it, as I heard something like a siren as I drove away in my car, but I may have been mistaken. It was hard to hear anything other than shouts of the car owners whose wings and doors I was scraping.
:?: Question here peeps is, does anyone one ever ride a bike wearing these precision optical implements of the Devil? :twisted:
I have about a week left to get the lenses changed free of charge or be stuck with them.

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:33 am

I've had varifocals for about 3 years now. Have just changed them for a new prescription and know what you're talking about.

They (your eyes and your brain) will probably settle down and adjust. After wearing my old ones and putting the new ones on, I noticed a marked difference, similar to the symptons you mention but maybe not quite as severe, assuming you're not exagerating of course :wink:

I must have experienced the same problem with my first pair but I can't remember it taking long to adjust otherwise I would have probably resorted to using two different pairs of glasses. I know a couple of people who've done this but most seem to stick with the varifocals. There is definately a high convenience factor with them.

My advise for what it's worth is to stick with them until the last possible moment and if you're not happy then go back to the Opticians. It maybe that the specs aren't set correctly and you're looking through the wrong part of the lens. Get them to do some work on resolving the problem and give you another trial period, they won't want the specs back if they can help it

Hope you get it sorted

Nick

PS I use mine all the time riding the bike with no problems.
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:05 pm

Hey Nick, thanks for your reply. Yes, I was exaggerating for effect :) , however I'm very surprised at the very narrow field of view. I even coughed up more scrotes to get the expensive lenses with the wider progression corridor.
Do you find your peripheral vision being out of focus is a cause of concern riding the bike?
Also, having to point with your nose at what you want to see - I thought that this may cause extra fatigue as once your head is turned then you get increased wind noise and buffeting?
I think I will have to be happy off the bike with them first!

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:26 pm

I think my prescription could be quite different to yours. My main problem is with reading and my distance vision only needs slight correction. My peripheral vision seems to stay more or less in focus although maybe slighty less so at the edge of the lens.

Don't really find the need to have to point my nose at what I want to see, but can see how this this would be a problem on the bike. If you have to turn your head to look to the side because of poor peripheral vision then while you are doing this your peripheral vision by the same token won't pick up anything straight in front of you.

I think you need to discuss with your optician

Nick
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Return to “Boxerbanter”