Finally got to ride the new R1200S...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BMW-Fahrer

Finally got to ride the new R1200S...

Postby BMW-Fahrer » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:21 am

Have you read any tests yet?I havn't so I did my own like some of you guys have too.I like the looks.Still recognizeable as a modernized R1100S.The handling feels the same which is good,too.Maybe a tad easier stering and a tad less stable?Pretty much the same.Body position comfortable only less padding on the seat which will be less comfortable on longer trips;same for the passenger but you can still live with it as also the quiet air around the helmet.No buffeting but a little more pressure from shoulders up at higher speeds.The engine with a clean pickup from idle to 6000 rpm.A little disappointing or should I say very easy to ride but not much going on but from 6-9000 rpm a suprisingly healthy punch that should keep even the jaded among us entertained enough not to ask for more for seasons to come.
So far the hard seat and the surprising powerful motor on top are the main difference compared to the old bike,at least for me.Interestingly despite the counterbalancer the engine still buzzes but at a different rpm range.Nice bike that should be as fast as the old one on track days or curvy roads and easy to ride fast only this time you will be able to keep up on long straights.
The brakes are fine like the old ones with more work for the rider to manually work front and rear while the old Evo system did this or it's rider.Only advantage for people who were not talented enough to get a hang on the old system.
I wuld have traded up if it wasn't for the even smaller than the already small R1100S tank and total lack of hard luggage/rack and practical center stand.Too bad.
It would have been much more attractive if it had kept the versatility of the R1100S because otherwise the new S is hard to fault.But I doubt if 999/Mille or GSXR riders will trade their bikes for the new S like BMW must have hoped leaving the good and useful stuff off...Otherwise 110rwhp and a little less weight would be tempting.But a true successor to the great R90S or R1100S the new S is not,at least for me.
BMW-Fahrer

winger

Postby winger » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:55 am

Critera number one for me!!!,is it practical for two up rideing over a distance??? e'r no!!! so the rest is a minor detail,might as well go and buy a GSXR.

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:13 am

winger wrote:.....might as well go and buy a GSXR.

Go on then!!! :roll:

sandbar

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:26 am

I see one particular dealer in the south of England is selling their 12S demo bike - 1200 miles, Colgate colours with Ohlins and big rear wheel for under 8k. That's one hell of a lot less than the bike's new price - is this telling us something about the model's sales success (or lack of?).

Taken on its own I reckon the new bike is fantastic, and for the person who finds its attributes to their liking it would be a great choice. Also, if the aforementioned used bike's price is anything to go by, a year old bike could end up being a bit of a bargain, or certainly a lot of bike for the money.

Rumour mill reports the 12ST is up for a total(ish) re-style next year.

winger

Postby winger » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:33 am

Archie did buy one!!

As for the 1200 for people who are in the market for that kind of bike great trouble being there ain't many of e'm,and it's all about selling units.

As for prices when a bike is anywhere near 10 grand things are always going to be iffy on secondhand front,there ain't many people out there with the balls or the money to buy one private and when the dealers get stuffed up with e'm it'll be interesting to see how the market goes,i've been doing some ducking and diving looking at the K1200s market pheww talk about a great way to get your fingers burned!!

BMW-Fahrer

Postby BMW-Fahrer » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:57 pm

If they redo the ST than they can keep the S like it is.It is a fantastic bike jut let down by the lack of practicality that made the R1100S so attractive.As good looking and handing as our R1100S,two-up seating,full size luggage and rack with the new 1200 engine,less weight and 22-24 liter tank and voila the perfect sport bike for the street.I really don't care if they call it S,ST or RS...
I share your sentiment about the GSXR;as a tracktoy it is cheaper and probably even faster if a capable rider is on board.For fast roadriding the R12S is probably the easier and friendlier beast to ride fast especially with the ABS and also no messy chain.
Like I said if it wasn't for the letdown in the luggage and tank department I would have already bit the bullet because the topend is pretty exciting...Maybe a Mille or 999 offer even a little more but as unpractical as the new S they even ask for bigger sacrfices;chain,no ABS,even more uncomfortable,higher
Desmo maintenance bils,conventional bouncy forks...and all that to go maybe 10mph faster down the straights of the next track-day?
BMW-Fahrer

winger

Postby winger » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:56 pm

No ABS blimey,thats a major plus in my book!

twodear

Second hand riders report (by a GSer)

Postby twodear » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:17 am

Hello Men,

this report is from a friend that took a test ride on the first R1200S in Adelaide...here are his impressions;

I took it out for a test ride yesterday arvo

I took it up the Eagle on the Hill then over the top of Mount Lofty, Cold Store Lane, Norton Summit and back

MY impressions compared to my GS

Up to 3k less power up to 6k about the same above 6k to 8k HEAPS more, enough to power wheelie in 2nd just winding it on, you really can feel the extra bhp but it does feel a bit ‘doughy’ below 3k (compared to the GS) and as a result it is quite powerbandy where most of the real grunt is in the 6k to 8k range (but it feels great at the top end)

Handling on the Eagle on the Hill fantastic the telelever is a bit firmer and the backend is the Ohlins and it just eats those smooth sweepers, in the tighter technical stuff it is a bit less resolved than the GS, probably because the seating position is (a lot) more extreme and puts a fair amount of weight on your hands and the suspension is firmer, so you get bounced around a fair bit.

Brakes, these were the new non servo ones with ABS and to be honest they were easily as powerful as the Servo EVO2 brakes on my GS but had better feel and none of the on/off feel of mine.

Ergos I found them pretty extreme low bars, high pegs would be great for the track but for me a bit too much for the road (but I am an unfit old GS riding fa_rt) and you would need to have a very brave person as a passenger.

So overall:
Make a great Trackday/Bracket/Sunday Morning bike, good power great handling light (for a boxer) mega brakes, BUT I still prefer the GS for the road (bit of a no brainer that one)

You should go and have ride on it and see what you think.

I also took out the K1200S woohoo has that thing got some mumbo !!!!

Adelaide Motors also has an HP2 in but no rides on that I am afraid.
If enough is enough and more is better than too much should be just about right.

twodear

I've had my own test ride

Postby twodear » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:45 am

After Mike took his test ride, I had to try it as well. Since I can only compare to my 1150GS Adv which I've had both on the road and the track, and the 1100S only on the track, this report will be a bit skewed. I did try out the 1200GS on the road, but only once and it was a long time ago.

As Mike said, the ergonomics will leave the touring types upset, the bars place quite a bit of weight on the wrists. However, the pegs are not too much different from the 1100S. Pillions need not apply.

Power wise it has a good deal more kick from 4000 RPM up although the one I test rode seemed to have a pronounced flat spot at about 6000. The biggest power boost is from 7 to 8000, and it still redlines at 8500. I didn't check to see what sort of action the rev limiter had.

When cornering, well this is where it is truely a different bike from the 1100S, there is little of the effort needed to initiate cornering or transition between lefts and rights. When leaned over, it is even easier to keep it lined up. At similar speeds on the 1100 I'd be thinking that the lean angle was pretty extreme, but not on this 1200 - it makes it seem that you're not leaning hardly at all.

The brakes are absolutely dynamite compared to my 1100 which is non-EVO but I've installed 6-pot brake calipers on the front from a Suzuki. The model I tried had the ABS option but I didn't turn the ABS off so I can't say what difference it might make.

Concerning suspension; it gives a nice firm secure ride, still comfortable and not too different from my 1100, heaps different compared to the GS. But it still ignores bumps in the road quite nicely.

I don't know how much fuel it had when I started out as there is no fuel gauge at all, just a warning light and the odometer starts counting down to zero. So I had to put some fuel in after only a short ride of about 80km. on a side note, when pushing the bike away from the bowser it felt like I was pushing a bicycle where my 1100 would feel like I was pushing a truck. However, on the return trip the fuel warning light was flashing again even though I'd put in 5.8 litres and had only ridden about 70km. Sheesh - something wrong there I'd say. I reported the flat spot and the fuel mystery to Bruce the dealer. Has anyone else noticed these two niggles?

At the end of the day, the price will be keeping me away, About AU$22,500 starting price which builds to about AU$25,250 with the desired options of Ohlins suspension and special paint. I'll be keeping the GS Adventure for a while longer yet.
If enough is enough and more is better than too much should be just about right.

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:36 am

…did a little tour with my son last Saturday on the RT (this Rolling-Thing runs soooo lovely…), and I don’t know how I did it, but ‘suddenly’ we were at a BMW-dealership ; and we (yes, son and I) did a test-drive on the R 1200 S…

…we know already that the handlebar position is bit sportier than on our 1100 S, but all-in-all I think it is still not as sporty (read : uncomfortable) as a on most ‘real’ sport bikes. Even my son could find his space on the pillion seat…

…but man-oh-man such a 1200 S can run…; you can do whatever you want to your 1100 S (within street legal rules) ; but I am sure it will never run as superb as a bone stock 1200…

…with two-up, very comfortable cruising at around 130 kp/h (81 mph) in six gear ; push it in 5, roll open the throttle, a few eye-blinks later kick it in 6 (at around 220 kp/h = 137 mph), and the needle is showing 230 kp/h (144 mph) a second or two later…, and the fun wasn’t over by far…(but I like to keep my license, and my son was on the back…, so I made an end to this power-orgy…)

…another example : in 3, at around 5.000 RPM ; give it full throttle, and you won’t believe you are an a boxer…, power all the way...

…I even dare to say ; in comparison to a 1200, our 1100 S handles, rides, feels, revs, and sounds like a tractor…(sorry)

…in July 2005 I once did a test drive on the K 1200 R, and was DEEPLY disappointed ; by far not my cup of tea. But a few days back I learned that my next bike should be the Boxer-1200-S ; and who cares if the 1200 isn’t such a great all rounder as our ‘old’ 1100 S ; if you want such, there are plenty of bikes who can give you this all-round feeling, but if there is already some touring device in your garage (or even not), and if you want some two-wheeled BMW you can have great fun with : get yourself a R 1200 S…(in real live it even looks good in this yellow, matt gray, and high gloss black color scheme !)

…we loved it ! (both me, and son ; and he once said : “you won’t sell the BCR, do you hear”, last Saturday he said : “when do you buy a 1200, I like it…” ; apparently the boy thinks I have a money tree growing on my back (expression in Dutch : het geld groeit me niet op de rug…)

…and Jeannet (think the regular readers know who she is)…; “as long as the RT stays, it is fine with me…, you just sell the Mini and have fun…”.

…and THAT’s my problem…; I once sold the Mini, and found it back (in a deplorable state) 3 years later…, I cannot get rid of this little car for a second time…; remember, I bought it new…, almost 19 years ago…

…it’s part of the family…

…dang…

…any (free !) advice…? :)
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

keith750cc

Postby keith750cc » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Havent ridden one, but bumped into a guy at devils bridge last weekend, he'd had his about 3 weeks and loved it, he had a 2004 Boxer cup(as do I) and he was raving about the new S, he said engine has more tractability, no vibes and it handles like a dream, he was welll happy.
Looking forward to the 1200R. :D

Andrew Hinchliffe

Postby Andrew Hinchliffe » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:35 pm

I test rode a 12s a couple of weeks ago, wasn't sure at first whether I liked it or not...It takes about 50-60 miles to 'feel at home' on one especially after 5 years ownership of an 11s.
I tested a bike with sports pack (Ohlins plus wider rear wheel) I needed to compare to my 11s which has Ohlins F&R. (in my opinion once you have experienced Ohlins there is no point riding a machine with standard suspension again!)
The first thing I noticed was the engine of the 12s was not as smooth/tractable as my 11s at below 2.5 to 3k revs and definitely felt more 'agricultural'. However, you soon realise that it is a completely different animal to the 11s, I could tell from the feel of the motor that it was more highly strung ie; in a higher state of tune, consequently after riding 20 to 30 miles or so i began to enjoy the different character of the bike, it cracked & popped on the overrun (probably due to the fuel cut off on zero throttle) I noted that the bike had only covered 350 miles so it still felt a bit tight, same as any new BM I'm sure power delivery, smoothness etc would improve as the miles increase.
With regard to the handling, I rode a variety of roads over the 80 miles or so of the test. Over winding country roads the handling was superb and found that I could make progress at the same sort of pace as my 11s with absolute ease, this bike loves bends, compared to the 11s you can ride at your 'fastest pace' with vertually no effort, in fact the 12s is very stable & forgiving and is easier to ride at a quick pace. In town the new bike is not as comfortable due to the slightly more sporty riding position (weight on the wrists) However, motorway riding at normal 80-90ish speeds is much the same as the 11s which is refined and smooth.
Anyway, the upshot of all this is that after short deliberation I ordered a new bike with Ohlins & heated grips for delivery next month....can't wait!!

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:00 pm

Good for you Andrew, what colour have you gone for?
Did you have a test ride on the K1200S? If so, why did you pick the R over the K?
I've not had a test ride on any of the new bikes yet. I'm going to try and get a whole day test riding back to back. 1200GS, new 800, K & R 1200S.
All followed by a pint or 3 of Guiness and fish and chips! And it ain't even my birthday! :tongue5:

winger

Postby winger » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:40 pm

I(we) rode a K(S) a few weeks ago very simple,handels and steers well both one up and two up,crap fuelling at low speed, performance wise like being fired out of a cannon!!,would i buy one ?? every chance if i can find a non ABS ESA version and someone who trying to sell on one on a winters days when the prices are crap!!!

Sat on one with Verholen bars which made it even better,along with a Laser can.

Archie

Postby Archie » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:05 pm

I'd agree, I rode a colleague's K12S a while back. Very comfy, however fuelling felt like someone had left the choke on at low revs. I felt it was a good potential bike option, but it didn't do any one thing well enough. (To be fair I don't do any two-up work, but if I diid I'd buy a GS).

Cheers

Alan

Return to “Boxerbanter”