Boxertrix stickers seen at Silverstone.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Harry

Boxertrix stickers seen at Silverstone.

Postby Harry » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:23 am

I thought some of you might be interested in an update:

Last weekend with North Gloster Racing Club at Silverstone was quite eventful. First off we failed scrutineering due to no cut-out lanyard - despite having being passed at mallory, and Brands by both NG and Bemsee earlier in the season.
We managed to get that sorted and had a good practice which all went Pete Tong at the end when the rear tyre gave out just after seeing the end of session flag.

We missed race 1 whilst we put a new tyre on and checked the outfit over. We couldn't see anything else wrong and the tyre had settled square and was holding air, so we went out for race 2 at the back of the grid.

We had a good opening lap, saw my mate Richard's passenger go rolling across the tarmac at the luffield right hander - I hope he's ok cos I didn't see him afterwards. (pics here: http://www.racing-line-photography.com/ ... &gallery=7 )

By about lap 3 we were getting well into it and had overtaken 3 or 4 outfits when going down the back straight just under the bridge, we were flat out in top (doing around 140 - 150), when the rear tyre went again. For a moment I really thought we were in the armco but John held it together really well as the back end yawed about and we came to a halt about 6 inches from the gravel trap at the end of the Club straight. It was also fairly lucky that I was already in the centre of the bike cos I just held on, prayed, and waved my arm about a bit.

The first time we had thought it was a puncture or tyre failure (the tyre was too wrecked to tell with big chunks missing out of it). Assuming twice is no coincidence the current wisdom is either a dinked rim or that the valve was being forced in causing the tyre to deflate - with the last being the most likely as we found a split valve cap. This is fairly logical as well cos we're only running 11 or 12 psi in the rear so there's not much pressure holding the valve in place.
There's a pic in this sequence where yellow #40 is clearly running with a deflating (and smoking) rear tyre.

http://www.racing-line-photography.com/ ... &gallery=2

So that was the weekend. Another DNF ( :evil: ) but still top fun.
And to think I nearly met the armco in top all for the sake of a 20p valve cap. Its a funny old world.
H.

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:27 pm

Harry.. glad to hear your both ok and still remarkably up-beat given all of the 'non-fault-failures' you've been through. Unfortunately,... I havn't done any of the North Glouc Meetings this season,.. but it was fun seeing them at Brands for the first time last season. (A few of them thought that Paddock Hill would feel the same as it does on Playstation) I'll definately catch you later in the year at Brands, Cadwell or Snetterton with Bemsee.
All the best, .. Geoff
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

Harry

Postby Harry » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:14 pm

cheers Geoff. we're back at Brands on 29th /30th July.
entry fee already paid! see you then maybe.
harry

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:34 pm

cracking stuff - keep up the updates..

photos are great, no two outfits look the same, its like robot wars :D

best of luck with the next one.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

Harry

Postby Harry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:45 am

Thanks Ade,
I should point out that this particular race was a mixed grid of F1 and F2 bikes. Which may explain why the all look different.

The F1s are 'longs' with R1 or GSXR motors and the driver is fully enclosed (with the motor behind driver). The F2s you can see the drivers legs and the motor is a 600 under the drivers chest.

Sometimes its 2 separate grids, sometimes they mix 'em up.
harry.

Return to “Boxerbanter”