Grass is always greener

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Ade B

Grass is always greener

Postby Ade B » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:58 pm

Took a Triumph 675 and an ST Sprint for a spin on Saturday (booked when the S was in pieces in Southampton :roll: )

On the 675 my overriding impression was how does anyone remain alive for long on a 600 sports bike. It was like taking the R6 trackbike (alas sadly departed) on the lanes of Essex. I found myself riding it two gears higher than usual to keep it in the powerband and was taking all sorts of risks, trying to get knee down at roundabouts, insane overtaking, 'racing lines' etc. The motor makes a fantastic noise, wasn't quite the torque monster that the press would have you believe but is enough to entice this rider into total brainout behaviour. The temptation to give it full throttle at every opportunity is always there just to get the rev counter spinning...

The handling and brakes unsurprisingly felt similar to the R6 although the whole set up seemed a bit twitchy, there was a lot of dive on the brakes although I could feel what the front and rear were up to. I think I actually ride the same road faster and smoother on the S with a significantly lower heart rate although no doubt with a bit of practice on the 675.....

Around town the bike is fairly comfy, the ride surprisingly supple. It got a bit wristy after all of about 10mins and the heat coming off the engine was a surprise. The lack of low down grunt was a disappointment but then this is only a 600 afterall.

Finish was also a disappointment, footpegs, switch gear etc. are all ordinary which lets down lovely proportions and plastics which look like they won't age in a year (unlike most jap stuff). The overlong screws on the screen were particularly annoying.

All in all a cracking bike but a bit full on for me, I would quickly end up in a hedge (or worse) and as for the pillion provision..

The ST on the other hand was immediately more up my street. Solid to sit on (with S like weight and ergos) the engine again is superb with loads of low down torque, a great sound on standard cans and superb pops and burbles on the overrun. Didn't get the chance to let rip on the open road, but managed some 'interesting' speeds whilst crossing the thames. The motor makes the S seem pedestrian in comparison, its revvy, makes a great noise and has torque everywhere.

Seat is lower, squishy and more comfy than the S and doesn't push you forwards.. Pillion seat is smaller although not much higher than the S (according to Cara) and the footrests are more cramped pushing the pillion into a forward position which she wasn't sure about.

Ride seemed smooth and coped with London potholes better than the S although there was a lot of dive on the brakes (I suppose all conventional forks feel this way for a bit after a telelever bike). The bike seemed to tip on its ear a bit more eagerly too, although I didn't get the chance to try too hard. This could also have been the 020s (as opposed to my Pilot Roads).

Finish is ropy. The frame paint was falling off from contact with the rider's legs, and the exposed metal/fixing was/were looking a bit furry for an 05 bike. Supposed design quirks are imho a bit shite, the plasticky chrome bits, difficult to read speedo but enormous readout stating average speed/fuel consumption/max speed/time/miles to next stop was annoying. The whole 'its a triple see, three of everything' is a bit trite, the headlight surround looks like its off a cheap scooter and the contours of the bike are conventional meets fussy/annoying. All in all the appearance of the bike just stopped me falling for what is otherwise a very sorted and good value package.

The best bit.....

getting back on my tired 34k S and riding home. It didn't feel too bad at all :D

Following a 'serious chat' with Cara earlier, I (we/she) have decided that really we don't need a new bike at the mo' and the deposit will go towards the flat we're still meant to be buying/ new website/ dog food etc. If only life were simpler.

So next task is to service the S, sort out the brakes and plan a proper trip before the weather finally quits for winter.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

winger

Postby winger » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:06 pm

Ade

You missed the important bit!!!,i came within a hairs breath of buying an ST a few months ago,,after riding one,one up thought sod it i'll buy one,and then right at the death thought e'rrrr better try one two up,at barely 3 figures tore our heads off,but some nice bargains around at the mo!!!.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:10 pm

Didn't go out 2up as Metropolis specifically forbade it, plus Cara was looking after my mate and his girlfriend (who had turned up out of the blue from Sweden!) whilst I was gadding around on Hinckley's finest.

Still tempted - once the flat is sorted, will try an ST3 at some point as well as a K12S

Forgot to say, the brakes on the ST were really spongey - this is apparently a major niggle..

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:53 pm

Must have been a good day for test rides.
I took out a K1200R today, with the serous intention of buying one, but no more.
Found that although it handled really nicely for such a big bike, the throttle was snatchy, the engine needs really revving to get it spinnig up, very disappointing and also found it a bit vibey through the bars.
Bloody expensive too when you add up bits and bobs, none starter.

Came back to the shop and decided to take an R1200s out, with no intention whatsoever of buying. Big mistake!
Seemed to have a little less grunt than the 11s low down, but absolutely loved the thing.
Handles well, goes a fair bit better than the 11, lovely. Still quite impressed with the 11 though and just ended up thinking whats the point of spending all that money for what effectively isnt that much diffferent.
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:35 am

and just ended up thinking whats the point of spending all that money for what effectively isnt that much diffferent.

couldn't agree more - or are we just mean...:wink:

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:16 am

I too had a test ride on a R1200S while mine was being serviced. Certainly faster, quicker revving and lighter than the 1100. Seating position bit 'tighter'. Very nice but not nice enough to make me want to spend the money to change.

Cheers

Ian

julian

Postby julian » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:28 am

Ade B wrote:
and just ended up thinking whats the point of spending all that money for what effectively isnt that much diffferent.

couldn't agree more - or are we just mean...:wink:

Ade

Mean - probably. If I didn't have an S already I'd go for the R12S without question - I think it looks fantastic. As someone on Pelican said, 'it's a bit like dumping your current girlfriend to go out with her racy young sister'. On second thoughts, that's not a bad idea :oops:

I'm even struggling to justify the KTM 950SM (on 0% finance) as an urban commuting tool because my S still ticks most of the boxes for me.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:34 am

Mean, definitely

And as pregnant wife doesnt help
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

quicksilver

Postby quicksilver » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:28 pm

Just read your threed and having to say after being an owner of a r11s now for 2 weeks ( my first bmw ) why would you look at a r12s when the 11 is better.... i just cant fault it..... i went in to cannons at braintree to get rather a bcr or r12s..... came out with a 1000 mile o4 plate ss... i cant tell you how much better than all the jap bikes ( xjr,blade,tl1000s,rd500ypvs, ect ) and non jap ( 748, speedtriple, rsv mille, ect ) ive had this really is....ive already decided my next bike will be a k12s when i have the money...(approx 3 years i think) and i really cant see me ever getting rid of the 11s as it ticks every button except top speed...but that will come and how much over a ton can you really go without the blue in boys ( sorry boys in blue ) taking humbridge with you and i only go abroad twice a year so ?????? sorry did i go on a bit ...didnt mean to but just like to say keep what you have got and no,,,the grass isnt greener on the other side...Cheers guys Andy

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

You are so right there Andy. I haven't ridden a fraction of those bikes you mention so I can't compare them to the 1100s. However, it's like trying on a pair of shoes, trousers etc, you just know when it's right!

paulR

Postby paulR » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:00 am

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site but have been considering an R1200S for a little while now. I pretty much fell in love with it from the moment it was launched and had virtually made my mind up to get one. However, after a couple of test rides I'm not so sure :(
My first impression as I rode away from the dealer was that there was a huge lag in the throttle but once on the move this wasn't an issue. The handling was good and there was plenty of power, although it did vibrate a hell of a lot at higher revs.
After I returned it to the dealer and got back on my trusty '97 TL1000S I thought is it worth the extra £7K? The engine on my TL felt so smooth compared with the R12S and if anything the I think the handling is better. The TL is certainly more compliant over bumps as I found the rear Ohlins on the R12S to be quite firm. By taking away some of the practicality of the R1100S I think BMW may have narrowed the market for the bike too much. I think it is aimed at people like me looking to trade in a Jap sportsbike (the dealer,SPC, even said that BMW were offering extra incentives to those trading in a Jap bike). But I went past SPC the other day and their showroom is still full of R1200S's. Maybe I should wait until the depths of winter and then go and make them an offer :)
So now I'm thinking of hanging on to my TL but I've still got the new bike bug! I'm now considering a K1200R. I had a go on one at Garmisch last year and came away unimpressed, mainly due to the jerky fuel injection, but I believe BMW have released a new FI mapping recently so I'll have to have another go. Thanks for listening,Paul

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:32 am

I think its not a rational thing - can remember seeing one of these when I was a kid on holiday in north wales.

I tried to draw bad likenesses of it on every bit of paper I could get my hands on for months afterwards. It was the fastest coolest thing on wheels (in my kiddie imagination) as most bikes look a bit like this at the time

(actually the RE5 was presumably far more radical than the R100RS)

The S has an evolved family resemblence. The Sprint ST evoked none of this and stayed in the showroom.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

julian

Postby julian » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:08 am

At School in the 70s a [young] maths teacher had a sporty BMW boxer in that [brown/red sunbust colour]. I loved that bike. He always smelled wet, slightly under-hygened with long greasy hair - proper biker.
BMW R1100S (Black)

Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

julian

Postby julian » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:20 am

paulR wrote: ... After I returned it to the dealer and got back on my trusty '97 TL1000S I thought is it worth the extra £7K? The engine on my TL felt so smooth compared with the R12S and if anything the I think the handling is better. The TL is certainly more compliant over bumps as I found the rear Ohlins on the R12S to be quite firm. ........Thanks for listening,Paul

I've always rather fancied a sorted TL. Mind you an S and a TL would be like dating both ugly sisters (or do I mean beau/laid) :wink:
BMW R1100S (Black)

Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:13 am

julian wrote:At School in the 70s a [young] maths teacher had a sporty BMW boxer in that [brown/red sunbust colour]. I loved that bike. He always smelled wet, slightly under-hygened with long greasy hair - proper biker.

Aaah!....that would explain a lot........

:D :D
Come on down to a FLASH weekend break in South West France!
Rufty-Tufty, tassled, Bikers ONLY. No cars please! (unless it's a Volvo Estate with a carbon fibre tow-bar)

Check it out on: http://www.flashtours.co.uk

Return to “Boxerbanter”