1200s

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

kitkat

Postby kitkat » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:37 pm

Thanks Paul - but glad I beat you to it, you never know who is watching in web land!

Not had a big problem in pulling away but that said all the power seems to have shifted up 1000 revs compared to the 11 and when it hits 6000 it goes into hyper drive :wink:

Not had Ohlins before and the bike as bought seems a bit soft, so going to a suspension tuner on Thursday to fast track the set up. £25 to get it set up for riding style, weight, tyres etc. A bit lazy I know but seems good value and the company gets good reports locally.

The only minor niggle is that there is a very slight engine surge if you shut the throttle right off at low speeds/low gears.

The exhaust still pops away at about 3500 rpm on teh over run :D and even the pocket racers at the local bike meet have been heard to say "that's not bad for a beemer" - scant praise indeed!

Dave

winger

Postby winger » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:31 am

Go on the Pelican site and talk to him direct,there was a posting recently were he is was posting direct,which he did in the early days,i think thats how Peter bought his.

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:14 am

Kitkat,

Why not try MH Racing in Wiltshire. He did my old Boxer Cup with the wilbers fitted and it was excellent. Mark has a very good reputation, and a lot of experience.

http://www.mhracing.com/

Nick,

I,m watching you.

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:04 am

andrew s wrote:...I think if you buy new, then you buy to keep for quiet a while...

…luckily there are still people out there who wants get rid of it within 4 weeks…

…and luckily I met one of them… 8)
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

kitkat

Postby kitkat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 am

Hi Andrew,

Indeed I am taking it to MH racing, small world!

Dave

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:25 am

Dave,

I need to read things more slowly. I thought you were taking it to a company called Fast Track, but after reading it again I got it wrong.

I have fitted another set of Wilbers to my new BCR and I am trying to figure out how to get down to see Mark and get it set up again. Setting the sag is Ok but the rebound is another thing, saying that I still have the old settings from the last shocks, as Mark wrote them down. I might just change them to that to try, as at the moment the bike is not quiet holding it's line and can get a little unsettled when pushed.

Please let me know how you get on.

A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

paulR

Postby paulR » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:22 pm

kitkat wrote:
Not had Ohlins before and the bike as bought seems a bit soft, so going to a suspension tuner on Thursday to fast track the set up. £25 to get it set up for riding style, weight, tyres etc. A bit lazy I know but seems good value and the company gets good reports locally.

When I had a test ride on your bike at SPC (don't worry, I didn't thrash it :lol: ) I thought the rear felt a bit choppy over sharp bumps like cats eyes. Have you had the latest mapping downloaded as I believe it is supposed to improve the throttle response?
Paul

kitkat

Postby kitkat » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:52 pm

Andrew,

Well ,Mark at MH Racing has done a grand job with the suspension (rear definitely was too soft, front not too bad but he has tweeked the lot) and tried it out today on a 200 mile blast down to Dorset & back. Bike stayed bang on line all the time and the Sportek M1s have grip great (although not sure how long they will last!

Called in to CWs to get some 20/50 oil as not easy to find locally and also made it on to Durlson Castle Lookout cafe just outside Swanage. Stunning location for a stop right on the cliff top with views of the Needles & Poole.

Great road back from Dorchester - minor road between A352 & B3134 (about 10 miles lots of long staights & no villages) then to Sherbourne, Wincanton, Mere, the Deverills onto the 350 and home.

Cracking day out and the Red & Silver 12S got lots of admiring looks at Poole and our other stops!

Dave

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:10 pm

Dave,

I have gone and changed my settings to what he did last time. Went out for a short ride and it felt better. I also set my loaded sag (preload) so will go out for a good run tomorrow and see if there is a big difference. If it is not up to my old Boxer Cup then a trip to see Mark will have to be done.

I took out the R1200S today with Ohlins, boy does it hold line. I was 5-10mph quicker in the bends, got caught out in one that I know has a big bump, normally back of but didn't, hit the bump, the bars tried to pull themselves out of my grip but the bike just said "get on with it, stop messing about that was nothing".

The engine is strong and boy does it kick at 6000 rpm, doesn't feel like a Boxer engine at that speed. The low down torque is crap, below 2000 rpm it is terrible and this was a bike with only 300 miles on the clock. I wouldn't buy this one after me revving it, but the sales guy told me I could rev it up to 7000 rpm, there again it is not his bike.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:51 pm

Andrew - I wouldn't worry too much about spinning-up a young motor (once nicely warm of course). Harley's V-Rod engine has gained a bit of a rep of late for burning oil because folk are following the 'old-school' method of breaking in an engine. Trouble is, with the super-hard Nikasil bore liners modern engines use, the rings never bed in if overly mothered when new.

Example:

My Streetrod was using over 1l oil per 1000 miles when I first got it with 2200 miles up. I did a lot of reading up on the problem and was advised (by a guy who builds these motors to drag race with) to drop the current oil and re-fill with mineral 20w50 then take the bike out and, once warm, cane the t*ts off it. 2000 miles later the oil consumption was less than 200ml per 1k miles and improving all the time. By 9000 miles oil use was negligible. Those who have 10k+ on their Revo motors who don't (ahem) 'use' them are suffering terrible oil consumption. Those who do give them some grief have smooth, powerful, low-oil-consumption motors. Keeping an eye on the V-Rod Forums backs this up.

Back to the Boxer motors - I see no reason why they should be any different. Obviously don't take the thing to Elvington fresh out of the crate, but on the other hand don't baby it.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:24 pm

Cool
Can I hammer mine when I get it then ?
Top stuff!
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:14 am

PBBoxer wrote:Cool
Can I hammer mine when I get it then ?
Top stuff!

Absolutely! :thumbleft:

Andrew and I are on hand if you require any assistance :twisted:

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:52 am

andrew s wrote:..I took out the R1200S today ; the engine is strong and boy does it kick at 6000 rpm, doesn't feel like a Boxer engine at that speed. The low down torque is crap, below 2000 rpm it is terrible and this was a bike with only 300 miles on the clock...

...even with more miles on the clock the low down torque will stay 'crap' ; this engine simply needs more RPM's than the 1100 boxers. But..., if you are doing 137 mph (220 kp/h) in six ; just fully open the throttle, and the 12 will hit the 240 (150 mph) in 'no time'...

...told you ; for a boxer it is a crazy bike !
Have a nice day !

Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT

(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Return to “Boxerbanter”