two up camping

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

donatelo

two up camping

Postby donatelo » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi everyone,as I like to take my 15yr old lad camping ,usually on the guzzi calli 'cus it will carry anythingyou care to,I've been wondering if anyone has had experience of using a R11s 2 up with all the gear needed for the wild outdoors ,can get just about everything in the panniers but the tent is beating me ,only had the bike a few weeks so it's been a dry run attempt at packing ready for the nicer weather ,as you can guess I can't wait for a real long run on it,don't really fancy putting a rack or top box on it 'cus that make it look ugly but if needs must then I will .The lad is a big lump at over 6ft an near 16st an said He would carry it on his back but after a few day's touring that might be a bit much ,Hotels an option I know but he likes camping an I'm not arguing the the lump ,any ideas .thanks .Don
just do it

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:47 pm

Try this,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ventura-sport-rac ... dZViewItem

excellent bit of kit and you could put the tent on the rack with a pillon as it faces to the rear.

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:59 pm

I always used to strap the tent on top of the bags, with the front a bit to the outside to leave room for the leg. YMMV

jivebiker

Postby jivebiker » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:04 pm

I have the Ventura system. You can get just a grab handle (single tube) for when you dont need or want the rack. 30 seconds to swap over.
Ive been using this system on various bikes for about 15 years, and wouldnt use anything else.
JiVeBiKeR

Whatever happened to Cherry Jubblies?

donatelo

2 up camping

Postby donatelo » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:22 pm

thanks guy's ventura system look's good thaught of straight onto panniers but it a fairly big tent ,'bout the max you can get away with on a bike ,will chase the ventura on e-bay ,rat's alerted the opposition now ,cheers anyway ,tara Don
just do it

wicker

Postby wicker » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:35 pm

There is currently a Ventura set for the R1100S for sale on E-bay. I think it still has few days until bids close.

donatelo

2 up camping

Postby donatelo » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:07 pm

Thank's Andrew,Wicker an all who replied, have put a bid in so will see what happen's ,quite afew bidding an I'll be nights at the end of bidding so it's in the lap's of the God's ,off subject but is there any trixters over here in this corner of the UK called S Wales , would like a ride out an some input on the oilhead twin's if poss ,seen lot of BM rider's in Guzzi rally's seem's like when it come's to going the real long distance there's only 2 make's out there with very few exception's on the jap stuff an yep had 'em all and can't fault 'em for what they designed for but soul ?,character ?(that spelt right ? am only a dumb welder)well you tell me,maybe loud exhaust's make up for it but then I guess a 50 ml ride out is all some people need ,not knocking that if that's what you like, great ,it takes all sort's to make this world the crazy an wonderful place it is ,imagine everyone the same all riding susuki burgman's in blue rainsuit's frightening innit .Tara Don
just do it

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:35 pm

Done a fair bit of 2 up camping on the S.

We used: Oxford soft panniers then BMW panniers, ventura sports rack, BMW tank bag.

Pics here pre panniers

http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=668

Ventura rack is very good.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

BrettC

Postby BrettC » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:38 am

How to carry a tent....

This is at Bilbao Ferry port after 2 weeks, 2 up around Spain and Portugal

Brett

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:43 am

BrettC

Proper :D

You are missing luggage net full of maps, water bottles, baguettes, fruit etc.

Could be a bit taller too :wink:

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

donatelo

2 up camping

Postby donatelo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:49 am

Hi Brett ,must say the bike don't look that bad with a top box ,that's the usual way I carry the tent on the guzzi along with my folding chair,nothing wrong with a bit of comfort by the tent at night,however I've been swayed around to the ventura system thou unfortunately missed the one on e-bay,any pics of bike with box minus tent ?Oh yea and how was the trip ,I been fancying Spain Portugal for later this year but my mate wants to go Switzerland ,any reccomendations anyone.Don
just do it

BrettC

Postby BrettC » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:04 am

This was taken in France in 04 just south of St Fleur, after I'd unpacked the tent. Will post a review of the spanish trip when I get some time this weekend, work calls......

Brett

[/img]

BrettC

Postby BrettC » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:27 am

donatelo

camping

Postby donatelo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Thank's again ,put a bid in so hope have a little more luck than last time,look forward to pic's Don
just do it

Return to “Boxerbanter”