R1100S v R1200S

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:11 pm

As my '03 BCR was in for some work at Blue Bell last week, they lent me an R12S in the high performance yellow and black paint job for the day.

I'd agree with many of the earlier comments; loads more top end, revs very well with few vibes, you can feel it's noticeably lighter, good brakes, suprisingly decent leg room (better than R11S) and with the rear ohlins ride quality is brilliant if rather soft feeling due to set up on this particular bike.

But the engine felt flat and unresponsive low down compared to my bike (which benefits from K&N, decat and Lasers), to a level which would (did) really irritate me in traffic, seat is hard and weather / wind protection not a patch of the 11.

Getting back on the 1100S afterwards, Gromits reference to a truck is not far off!! Still, the R11S in BCR trim does the business for me, although having experienced what decent shocks can do I think a trip to Maxton may be on the cards (and some rearsets, and dropping the bars a bit...)

If I was going to splash out on a properly quick boxer, I think I'd have to save up and get an HP2 Sport.

mkatz

K1200R Sport

Postby mkatz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:08 pm

That's "funny", because my fall-back thought was the K1200S or K1200R Sport with the low seat option. I find the KS to be prettier than the KR sport as the radiator shroud is somewhat hidden. The disadvantage for me of the K1200 series compared to the R1200S is related to the longer wheelbase and greater weight.

Another option, of course, would be new shocks at a reduced height... this would diminish ground clearance, of course, and perhaps make the ride somewhat less "Plush".

boxerscott

R1200 vs R1100

Postby boxerscott » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:57 pm

So this has been well covered, it is obvious then, the R1100 was a more popular bike for the simple un-arguable fact that it sold better :roll: Has not the production run stopped on the r1200s? If it was as good as you all make out people would still be buying them and the production line would still be rolling. Not saying it is not a good bike though, I have ridden one and liked it and it did not put me off the 1100 cos it always felt like a truck so i ride it like one :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:09 pm

Can't argue with the logic, but I don't think that was the question. If I understand Stuart's first post correctly, he is asking about on-the-road comparisons rather than "popularity".

I've posted on this subject before on a different thread as I currently have both a R1100S in bog-standard trim and a R1200S with the sports pack. They are two very different bikes and I like them both, but for me the R12S is better in every way except that I have system panniers for the R11S.
In hiatus from motorcycles.

Blackal

Re: R1200 vs R1100

Postby Blackal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:16 am

boxerscott wrote:I have ridden one and liked it and it did not put me off the 1100 cos it always felt like a truck so i ride it like one :wink:

Chris - is that why yours looked like a load of bricks had been dropped on it, when I popped in? :scratch: [smilie=whistle.gif]

I tried the R1200s for an afternoon, and found it to be a great bike, that appeared to be better on the road in all areas (although it did give me a bit of a twinge in my back) than the 1100s.

Also - the BCR felt like a three-legged donkey, straight after riding the 1200s - until I got used to it again.

I'd love a 1200s, but it isn't the all-rounder that the 1100s is.

Al :wave:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Al
You dont need an allrounder, youve got a sportbike, a giant trailie and a bcr you greedy guts
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Two Dogs Said "that 3hr ride on the B1053

"Three hours from Braintree to Saffron Walden and back . According to the Michelin Route Planner it's 21 miles each way. So thats 42 miles in 180 Minutes. 42 divided by 180 times 60 = 13.99 miles per hour average speed. I think I stick with the R1100s. :wink: :wink:
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:50 pm

PBBoxer wrote:Al
You dont need an allrounder, youve got a sportbike, a giant trailie and a bcr you greedy guts

The BCR is a Brilliant bike between the GS and the R-1

You can't ever have too many bikes!

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

FalcoDog

Postby FalcoDog » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi guys,

I've been away for a while.

I've ridden 2 11s. I had one as a loner and a BCR as a test ride.
The 11s is a nice bike. I found it to be a little heavy and slow to turn but VERY stable. They have got a nice low end tug but loses steam pretty early in the rev range. Both bikes felt like I could ride them, and they would last forever.

The 12s is more focused but still comfy. Defo lighter and faster with much better brakes, trans and ergos (at least for me). The 12 has a less refined, rougher edge to the engine, it vibes some when you stretch it past 7k but it pulls so hard that I don't mind at all. Also, mine requires premium fuel or it will give flat spots at lower revs. I think that BMW may have maxed out the potential of the hex head for the 12s. Still, it's all around the best bike I've ever owned.
"Four wheels move the body.....Two wheels move the soul"

BMW-Fahrer

11 vs 12 S...

Postby BMW-Fahrer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:22 pm

Fact is that the 12S has more power and is lighter which makes it sportier.A lot of R1100S owners wanted a lighter R1100S with more poke.So far so good.But they did not want all the other stuff that made the R1200S compared to the R1100S less practical and therefore less attractive.That is why the R1100S was a good seller for 7 years and the R1200S was already ot of production after 1 short season.
If someone wants a sportbike he can go out and buy a Hoyasuka 1000 that has 60hp more and 20kg less for less money.If he/she can use the performance potential is another story,but still most people who buy sportsbikes are "spec"-riders.And the specs look more favourable for the oriental brands.
The R1200S is sporty enough and would have been an exceptional sports-tourer and a real BMW if it would not have been for the marketing clowns that try t reinforce the "sport,sport,sport" marketing cheme by making the bike (almost) as useless as any other sportbike on the market.The old R1100S was a sportbike that could also tour,even two up with gear...
Hopefully BMW learns from it's mistakes and rereleases the R1200S with a bigger tank,two up seat and adjustable clip-ons and offers centerstand,full size bags and luggage rack as options!
Then the R1200S would be sportier and still as useful as the R1100S and everybody finally would be happy...Too bad BMW did not have a clue right from the beginning but a as a sports-only bike it is really only for a twin fan who likes BMW's and or ABS and shaft and lower maintenance costs and maybe too small bags better than no bags at all compared to a cheaper 180hp/200kg Fireblade...
As a sports-tourer it would be perfect except it is not allowed to be one with the missing opions because it really is a sports-bike,remember... :wink:
Too bad how the marketing boys screwed it all up and in the end screwed themselves with low sales because the R1200S really is a nice bike...Just a few options short of being a really nice bike.... :wink:

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:36 pm

Groundhog Day

F***kin GroundHOG day
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:53 pm

:roll:

The sound of the wind gathers as the tumbleweed rolls across the screen, in the distance, the sound of a mournful bell tolls…… Ding………….ding………..

Steve
Last edited by Boxered on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

gus

Postby gus » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Chris G
With all due respect,please forward your views which we have heard time and time again directly to BMW marketing department.
We all know where you and others stand on what you think BMW should have made the 1200s.Telling us aint going to make one bit of difference.I know you have good things to contribute to the board and you are a good BMW enthusiast.Dont spoil things by pissing people off with the same old posts.
Hope all is well and good with yourself.
gus

BMW-Fahrer

Postby BMW-Fahrer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:09 am

Gus my best wishes back to yo,too.
I just hope and havn't given up on the idea that some guys at BMW actually can read... :wink:
I guess with the R1200ST & R1200S already in premature retirement time will tell.
Maybe spring 09 they have another sport-tourer in their lineup as exciting as the R90S,R100RS and R1100S are and were in their days...!
The flame of hope is still alive... :wink:
But like I said if you like sporty twins,especially with opposed cylinders,low maitenance bill$ due to driveshaft and easy to adjust valves,the safety and convenience of ABS and small factory hardbags because you ride alone all the time anyways,by all means go out and buy yourself that R1200S and live happy ever after... :wink:
I mean it...

Man-of-Mystery

Postby Man-of-Mystery » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:42 am

I am currently living happily ever after. I wanted a boxer, with a touch of excitment, built for one, that I could keep running all year if necessary for work, and go on day flips with. The only item I would have liked as standard, would have been a belly pan, to keep the road muck off the works. Enter Sandbar *applause*.

My old R1100S... was lovely. The centre stand was redundant. My R1200S wins by a head.

Would I buy a HP2S? Not for the riding I do. Maybe when I retire and only need to go out on fine days for fun, then I'll spend some of my lump sum on one.

They are BMWs, they are Boxers, and they are not Krapikazi XZZGTSR 1600s. Enough said.

M-o-M
07 R1200S

Love your enemies - it'll drive the bastards crazy!

Return to “Boxerbanter”