R1100S v R1200S

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

snavetrauts

R1100S v R1200S

Postby snavetrauts » Wed May 09, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi Guys.... has anyone been riding them both long enough now to be able give us a good review of the differences.... through all terrains and types of travel.

I have seen bits and pieces on this forum... but it would be good for a detsailed review.... some might say it's not really a true comparison one being a ST and one being a balls out sports bike... but I would be interested to read agood cross section of feelings.

The only trouble with asking new owners (of the 1200S) is that they will rarely criticise their recent purchase... and the trouble with more long term riders (1200S) is that they may have forgtotten what it was like to ride the 1100S.

Any one or more up for it?? better than any bike review from sychophantic journos

cheers

Stuart :P
.......~ ~
....-(@ @)-
ooO-(__)-Ooo

Ride due west to the sunset, turn left at the Rocky Mountains. (Jeremiah Johnson)

R1100S 2003. The Fast Colour. G650 Xchallenge 2008. F650CS Black 2003 SWMBO

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Wed May 09, 2007 10:13 pm

Well, I had an R1200S loan bike yesterday while my K1200R was in having a new clutch fitted under warranty.

I was hugely disappointed. I've had an R1100S and an R1150R Rockster previously so know what to expect from a boxer twin.

The engine never felt anything other than agricultural. I asked on returning the bike whether or not it was a bad 'un and was assured that it was pretty representative of the R1200S engine. The shame was that I could tell there was a good handling bike somewhere in there. I had hoped to like it a lot as it was on my candidate list for next bike. From an engine perspective alone, my view is that the R1200S is a backward step from the R1100S.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu May 10, 2007 2:01 am

After taking a test ride on an R1200s, both Andrew S and myself thought our BoxerCups were broken :oops:

There is a big difference in performance, but the 1100s is still a very entertaining bike and does the touring bit - better, I think :wink:

(It's not quite so "sport sport sport" if you know what I mean :wink: )

I also found that my back didn't like the 1200s as much as the 1100s, but that could just be a personal thing.

So - it may depend on which side of the sports/touring spectrum you want your bike to be? (and whether a pillion fits into your plans?) I don't think any of the 1200s owners on here have ventured an opinion as to the pillion capability of the bike :?:

Both bikes suffer from the same problems with paintwork, though.........................
>
>
>

Each owner thinks their colour is faster than all the others :roll: :twisted:

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Thu May 10, 2007 6:18 am

I had a 2002 BCR for 3 years or so and have had a 1200s for a good 2 k miles.
My 1200s was nicked in March and obviously that's given me the chance to move away from another, however after much thought and a great deal of comparison and test riding, Im now back on a 1200s and dont regret it at all.

The 1100 was a great all rounder and it did distance work better than the 1200 will, but only because it hasnt got the same capacity for luggage and the same comfort for passengers.
The 1200 is definitely a fair bit quicker, also smoother once run-in and despite what some magazines say in my experience is a really punchy and fun sportsbike that despite not having enough power to compare with the big stuff, on real roads is a really effective tool.

I sold the 1100 because it was hurting my back, but on the 1200 im fine. To be honest all this is obviously down to personal choice. I tested another k1200r recently and although it pulled really well when revved hard, above 7k, the 1200s is definitely easier to ride in terms of not having to stir the gearbox etc. I think the handling is really good, with nice planted feel, quite brisk steering and overall its a great package.

Horses for courses at the end of the day
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu May 10, 2007 6:26 am

I have one of each, and until about 3 weeks ago was still using both. Both are bog stock, although the R12S has the sports pack. The R12S is MUCH more powerful and has a much smoother engine through the rev. range. The only exception is at tickover where it seems really lumpy. The main difference is above 6K revs. If you nail the throttle open above 6K, the R12S makes a decent impression of a fastish bike, whereas the R11S just feels more like a cement mixer.

Handling is obviously much better with the R12S, probably due to the sports pack, but it does feel lighter too. The riding position on the R12S, as BlackAl says is a bit more extreme, but I find the arse-feet area more spacious than on the R11S and for me (after 30 years of playing rugby taking it's toll on my knees), this more than makes up for the extra stretch to the bars.

I also get about 20% better fuel consumption on the R12S and I reckon that I ride it about 10% faster. For me, this makes up for the smaller tank.

As no one seems to want to buy my R11S, it is likely that I will be hanging on to it for a while to come, and I plan on continuing to use both and enjoying their different characters.
In hiatus from motorcycles.

gripperod

Postby gripperod » Thu May 10, 2007 8:53 am

I would have thought it was obvious. Since I cant afford a 1200, the 1100 is clearly the superior machine! :wink: :wink:

My perception, my reality..................................... :lol:
THE FASTER SILVER AND WHITE VERSION !

snavetrauts

Postby snavetrauts » Thu May 10, 2007 9:31 am

.....but Gripperod, yours is the slower colour of the range :roll: :wink: :P

Stuart
.......~ ~

....-(@ @)-

ooO-(__)-Ooo

Ride due west to the sunset, turn left at the Rocky Mountains. (Jeremiah Johnson)

gripperod

slightly off topic

Postby gripperod » Thu May 10, 2007 9:43 am

Does it help that my luggage is black? :D

A few years ago there was a design article in "Bike" which included some artists impressions of R1100Ss in different schemes. There was one with it painted in a Luftwaffe Me262 colour scheme complete with squadron markings 8) which I am sorely tempted to have doe to mine, especially since the bike is now out of the Fatherland!

Otherwise I guess its a tin of grey primer and some yellow hammerite :lol: :lol:
THE FASTER SILVER AND WHITE VERSION !

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Re: slightly off topic

Postby RiceBurner » Thu May 10, 2007 11:49 am

gripperod wrote:Does it help that my luggage is black? :D

A few years ago there was a design article in "Bike" which included some artists impressions of R1100Ss in different schemes. There was one with it painted in a Luftwaffe Me262 colour scheme complete with squadron markings 8) which I am sorely tempted to have doe to mine, especially since the bike is now out of the Fatherland!

Otherwise I guess its a tin of grey primer and some yellow hammerite :lol: :lol:

Just don't visit France.... ;)
non quod, sed quomodo

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Thu May 10, 2007 12:15 pm

gripperod wrote:A few years ago there was a design article in "Bike" which included some artists impressions of R1100Ss in different schemes. There was one with it painted in a Luftwaffe Me262 colour scheme complete with squadron markings 8) which I am sorely tempted to have doe to mine, especially since the bike is now out of the Fatherland!
:lol: :lol:

Just stay clear of FLAK !

I did consider a similar scheme, but rather a WW1 pattern which were more colourfull.

Now riding a R1200S (with Ohlins) and before that a R1100S (with Wilbers) I can confirm much of what has been said in the above. In short, BMW took out the 'touring' and put in some more 'sports' in the package. You can put the touring back in by buying the hard bags (now available) and a tankbag (really spacious as I found out), but for taking a passenger it's just no good.

Unlike others I find that the R1200S engine, with 2000 miles on it, does vibrate more then the R1100S 's with 80.000 miles on it. It's almost as viby as the F650GS which I had as a loaner :shock: I do get numb hands an toe's on the R1200S after a few hours, which I never had on the R1100S.

Thanks to the engine, the R1200S is much more fun to ride though. The sound (even with standard cans) is also very nice: blobbing and burbleing from the airbox.

HJ

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu May 10, 2007 12:37 pm

hjr1100s wrote:
Unlike others I find that the R1200S engine, with 2000 miles on it, does vibrate more then the R1100S 's with 80.000 miles on it.
HJ

Mine has almost 7000 on the clock, perhaps yours will smooth out a bit with some more miles. Also, what fuel do you use? I usually put 97RON in, but I can't say that I've noticed much difference on the few occasions that I've used 95RON.
In hiatus from motorcycles.

Twodogs

Postby Twodogs » Thu May 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi Stuart,

While my R11S was in Cannons for its 24k service (yeah yeah i know its soooo easy to do at home,but i don't like getting my hands dirty :D ) they very kindy let me loose on their R12S with sport pack. I only had it for 3hrs but i did take it on my most favourite road (B1053,Braintree to Saffron Waldon) and i have to say it rocks! Its much lighter, faster and handles great,the only thing i didn't like was the lack of a rear brake,its funny but the K12R i had on loan suffered from the same problem. Any how,if it wasn't for the fact that i've just started a new job i may have left my (much loved) R11S there and bought the GORGEOUS black R12S with sport pack and panniers thats sitting in Cannons show room :wink:
To old to die young!

kitkat

Postby kitkat » Thu May 10, 2007 4:44 pm

I had an 1100S for 5 months and have had the 1200S for 8 months so can't really offer anything incisive on the 1100S but the 12 is a great bike and feels more modern :D

It will keep up with most things apart from supersports in a straight line and gets more admiring looks when you park it up anyware than most of the jap stuff (especially the red & silver 8) ) I regularly ride fast with friends on a GSX750 and a Triumph Triple and stay with them.

Soft luggage makes one up touring an easy option but forget carrying a pillion.

Perhaps the 12 is a bit more of a fun bike but that is exactly what I wanted and even grabbing the odd hour for a blast is a good cure to most things :lol:

Dave
Don't waste your time or time will waste you.

snavetrauts

Postby snavetrauts » Thu May 10, 2007 4:46 pm

Bugger it Twodogs....The others had just covinced me I had got the better deal.... then you came along.... s**t

cheers :wink: :wink: :roll:
.......~ ~

....-(@ @)-

ooO-(__)-Ooo

Twodogs

Postby Twodogs » Thu May 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Sorry Stuart,i didn't mean to throw a R12S size spanner in your works but.... the 12 is a cracking bit of kit for sure. I've had my 11 for 13 months and covered over 16000 miles,commuting,Sunday morning blasts and touring everywhere from Scotland to Italy and lots in between and i rate it very highly indeed. But i'd have the 12 tomorrow just on the strengh of that 3hr ride on the B1053 AND it can now take the BMW panniers. Its all the bike i need and then some. :D

Sorry again Stuart,

Andy
To old to die young!

Return to “Boxerbanter”