Breakdown cover

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Cobbster

Breakdown cover

Postby Cobbster » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:51 am

Hi all,
Its my breakdown cover renewal time and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on who's the best to go for. Upto now Iv'e had separate cover for my bike and cars but I now want to lump it all together and use one company to cover the lot. I also want the policy to be for me not the vehicle I'm driving. Reading the blurb on the AA site they state that they won't recover a bike after an accident!! I don't know if this is the norm, any Idea's????
Mick Jagger : "These aren't wrinkles, there laughter lines mate". George Melly : " Nothings that funny!!!!".

JoeC

Postby JoeC » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:35 am

I currently have Green Flag with personal cover to cover all vehicles that I am in/on.
I have used them once a few years back and they sent out a motorcycle recovery vehicle who lived local to me and recovered the vehicle (I was in London Bridge and he lived near to me in Kent). It was a broken clutch cable so could not be repaired at the scene. They use local businesses to come to you.

Prior to that I have used the AA and they just recovered the vehicle as well and took me to where ever I wanted.

I have not had anything major go wrong and all my experiences were good.

Reason for choosing Green Flag is that I tow a caravan and they give a much better service when it comes to a broken down vehicle and caravan compared to the others altough, touch wood, I have not had any issues on this front.

Cost is a factor but although I can get 25% off by being an IAM member I still stay with Green Flag due to the caravan reassurance.
No longer a motorcycle owner.

winger

Postby winger » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:24 am

I've been with RAC for years,which includes my annual European cover for multi trips abroad,and a month ago when we put them to to the acid test just outside Dover on the way to Monza,were nothing short of amazing,collected the bike and supplied us with a hire car,the bike was delivered a couple of days latter and then car taken away.

In fairness i guess that has as much to do with the contracters they use(as they all do) as much as outelse,the only thing we have seperately is an annual medical insurance cover which is through Carol Nash,cuz with anyone else you sure have got to read the small print,as there are two many let out clauses.

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:04 pm

And you can get RAC cover on Tesco Clubcard points for peanuts.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:26 pm

AA used to do recovery after accidents (they took me home a few years ago) but have indeed since changed their policy. I think this is a direct result of track-dayers parking up a mile or two from a track and then claiming to have binned it on the way home, thereby retaining their accident insurance and making a claim.

:idea:

JoeC

Postby JoeC » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:31 pm

What about NCI cover via MCN (www.ncionline.co.uk).
No longer a motorcycle owner.

Taz

Breakdown Cover

Postby Taz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:08 pm

I'm with the RAC as they cover me for any car or bike I use. I confess that I have not had to put them to the test, but their paperwork is good and if you lodge a credit card with them then they will automatically renew for you (they do remind you beforehand in case you want to cancel).
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:05 pm

I'm with NCI, personal cover for me and the wife for home and Europe and it only cost £129.

Fortunately I have not used them yet.

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

tripe

Postby tripe » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:18 pm

NCI too, and they are about the only company who won't recover the recovery costs from your insurance company if you have had an accident, I think they charge 7.50 for th privilege but will often waive it if you haggle

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:26 pm

Carole Nash - not sure about crash recovery but they have brought me and the bike home on numerous occassions (all in the UK) - some faster than others.. I certainly feel I get my money's worth...

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

Return to “Boxerbanter”