HP2 - MCN This Week

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BMWBob

HP2 - MCN This Week

Postby BMWBob » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:24 am

Spotted that MCN has a first "exclusive" test of the HP2 this week. Front cover headline is "Why BMW's £14,000 HP2 Sport is worth every penny!".

Also a short video test on their website.

I have bought a copy but not read the whole article yet.

Regards Bob

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:50 pm

Well just read the article during my lunch break..........looks like I need to buy a couple of Lucky Dips this weekend :lol:

Either that or speak nicely to Father Christmas.

MCN rates it in all respects so it'll be interesting to see what the other Comics make of it. I doubt somehow that BMW Dealers will have many demo bikes lying around for people to take out?

Regards Bob

boxerscott

HP2

Postby boxerscott » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:11 am

I am bemused at what this bike is all about :? :? Somebody please enlighten me. Is it just cock waving? Is it meant to be a race bike? What is it going to spawn into? One thing is for sure if they plan to do a one make race series with this one there will be plenty of space on the Grid. :? :? :? Another fine product from the Nonsense Factory
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:09 am

Can you fit panniers on it :?:

(I'll get my coat...)

Paul :wink:
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:39 am

Paul wrote:Can you fit panniers on it :?:

(I'll get my coat...)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :banghead:
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:34 pm

Nu2beemers wrote:

(I'll get my coat...)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :banghead:

Had to be said :lol:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:57 pm

(I'll get my coat...)

Only when its been on sale for 6 months or so!!! Bmw will then release the touring kit.

Remove Carbon Fibre seat unit and fit std 1200s subframe and away you go---The ultimate Sportstourer!!!

Peter.

BMW-Fahrer

Another fine product from the Nonsense factory...;-)

Postby BMW-Fahrer » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:23 pm

The best thing about the HP-S is that finally the real sports,sports,sportsboxer with nowhere to put any panniers has landed and they now maybe can get to work and convert the R1200S into the fine sports,sports,sportsTourer and R1100S successors it could have been from day one.
The hope still lives... :!:
Merry christmas to all you Trixsters.
PS:The HP-S is the first BMW I could see myself buying (if I had the mean$) even as imperfect as it is without 6 gallon tank,panniers,luggage rack,center stand and 2-up seat... :wink:

R1200SRIDER

Postby R1200SRIDER » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:35 am

Hi to everyone.Ive just read the article in the rag.I must agree with boxerscott what a waste of time and money this bike is.Marginally better than a 1200s for a loads more money.I was interested but i think ill hang onto my 1200s and my money.
Ian

BMW-Fahrer

Marginally better...

Postby BMW-Fahrer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Everything is relative so is "marginally"...
But fact is that if you buy all the trick an super nice stuff the HP-S comes with for the R1200S yourself,you end up paying more money and still don't have the super trick and higher revving dohc,radial valve valtrain as also less hp and torque.
Don't forget the HP has light carbon fiber parts and as the Desmodesici a carbon fibre subframe.Brembo monobloc radial calipers,Magura radial pumps,CNC triple clamp,top rate Ohlins,CNC machnined adjustable rearset,super light forged rims,MotoGP dashboard,electric shifter,race ABS and 10hp more and 20kg less...
It will hang with the jap-fours on track days but will be for 99% for the buying public (who can afford) it much more comfortable and a much easier and less stressful proposition to go fast and more unique than any MV or 1098...
Any 180hp 1098R will be an unrideable beast with way higher maintenance bills and higher wear longer longevity in comparison and the jap-fours only a little faster at the end of a long straight but way more stressful to ride fast and less fun and "unique" in comparison as jap-fours...
The HP-S is the real thing not only for BMW boxer riders!But you need to bring money...

R1200SRIDER

Postby R1200SRIDER » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:08 pm

Hi,the hp2 is 12kg less and 6hp more than the 1200s and abs is a £660 option so your now up to £15160, and i dont think on a track day this bike will ever keep up with a jap superbike.The gsxr1000 is 6kg lighter and 60bhp more powerful and about 30mph faster.You can get them for £7299 making it less than half the hp2.
Ian

boxerscott

HP2 MCN

Postby boxerscott » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm

Hmn. Valid and interesting points of view. We are now drawing comparisons with in line fours and the masters of performance twins and that is all subjective. I ride boxers cos they are iconic as are HD and Ducatti (in there special glorious ways) the point I was trying to promote was that BMW are trying to get back in to bike racing. It is reported that MotoGP is out and WSB is in, well IMO if they want a credible bike for WSB then our cherished boxer (for all its new organs and clothes) aint the one. So as Aprillia said about WSB (and Dissing MotoGP) "We race on Sunday and sell bikes on Monday" Again what is the point of this bike? It is only HP (is that high performance or high price?) in terms of Boxer standards. Anyway fair play to the first trixter to get a HP2 (looks bloody great).. you pays your dollar and you watch the show!.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:49 pm

Bah humbug......

It's a motorcycle for gawd's sake why does it have to have a point......

What's the point in life..... or anything for that matter......Zzzzzzzz

If sir doesn't get it perhaps I can interest you in something else in the BMW Showroom. We have a very nice item here that we've managed to squeeze another two wheels onto....... it's called a c..a..r :shock:

Rant over :lol:

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:37 pm

If I could aford a HP2 I'd have signed on the dotted line already.
Dont care a stuff what the point is, I bloody love it
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:50 pm

PBBoxer wrote:If I could aford a HP2 I'd have signed on the dotted line already.
Dont care a stuff what the point is, I bloody love it

Here, here. As far as I am concerned owning a bike is a very personal thing, as is the choice of bike. Some of us ride BMW because they are 'a bit different' from the usual in-line stuff. Same goes for Guzzi, Moto Morini and to some degree Ducatti.

If I had £15K burning a hole in my pocket, would I buy the HP2? your damn right I would. And I would'nt give a flying F*** that it was slower that £7K jap 4, because it would be more than fast enough for me and be interesting enough to be different. Having seen it at the show I think it looked stunning and at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your pick.

Now if I only had £10.5K to spend, I'd take the new KTM RC8 for the very same reason. Stunning piece of kit and a little different.

Now where was that lottery ticket??
Last edited by Dog Tyred on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Return to “Boxerbanter”