thinking of adding an R75/6 to my garage

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:04 pm

I had my first BM in 1980 at age 22 (ish) a R80 series 7 when i sold it it had 50k on the clock the second time around and I did all of the mileage.

Like Madman if it came back on the market I would have it back as quick as a flash, even if I had to sell the GS to get it.

Good solid traditional BMW engineering (of the day) I had all of the jap rockets prior to it Suzuki GT750,Kwak900,Jota H*nda etc etc the BM knocked them all into a cocked hat.

We would all sod off to the Bol Dor when at the Paul Ricard and ride there non stop, get off and go partying whilst my other mates on there japs would need at least aday to recover.

Mind you we were very young then.

Bob

winger

Postby winger » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:13 pm

Bloody hell rose tinted glasses for christmas e'h :wink: i tried to force feed myself BM's in the late 70's early 80's R100s and 2 R100rs's,and yea i rode to the Bol on the back of an RS BM,the kid who rode it qualified on the front row of a production race at the British GP the same year,what a bloody experience that was.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:26 pm

Do you really want to go there Chris???? Jap stuff wasnt that good back then, OK it was more reliable but build quality was miles away from where we are now

winger

Postby winger » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:03 am

I most certainley do :wink: ,i'd been rideing 10 years before i bought my first beemer i'd heard all the bollox about quality blah blah blah,haveing beenHonda 250,Yamaha YR3,Suzuki 500, kawasaki 500 H1A,750H2,CB750 Goldwing(with mag wheels and a 4/1!!) i bought a 100s,and then a R1100rs,it came with bills for over a £1000 for an engine rebuild and that was what?? 79/80,i was then told well actually mate the one you want is the last of line cuz they got a heavier crank so i bought a grey 82 model it had seen winter weather and dispite spending an arm and a leg on it in nuts and bolts,pipes,god knows what else never got it close to presentable,the problem being the paint on the frame may have been an inch thick,but there wasn't any finish on anything else,i'd go into the garage to find and engine covered in white fur!!!

I did several trips on both to the SOF and Italy,the second one, i used to strip the lower half of the fairing off so the motor didn't get so hot,it covered ground as good as anybike i've ever had,in any kind of weather,but fun to ride????it was as bland as bloody dishwater,i've never looked back on previous bikes with rose tinted glasses,times and bikes move on,and certainley looking back at those 3 beemers,while sure they got the job done,crude and basic are the words that spring to mind,then as today BM just spend more money and time on aerodynamics.

Strangely enough,when i test rode a K1200s it brought back the 'This thing is scary feeling' which i haven't enjoyed for years,well not rideing S i haven't had it!!!!

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:38 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Lime

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:52 pm

Hi Lars,

Difazio are just down the road from me in Frome. I occasionally peer through the window when I'm in Frome, or have popped in for a look round and a chat. They often have some interesting older BM's in there. Last time I looked they had a nicely restored R90S in orange.

The shop's in a bit of a time-warp like something out of the 60's or 70's :shock:

I used to work with a guy who ran a older BM, he didn't speak too highly of them but I think you've got to take each Dealer as you find them.

If you do decide pop down let me know I'll put the kettle on if you fancy a cuppa :)

Regards Bob

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:31 pm

Nah not rose tinted glasses just plain common sense.

If it broke down I had enough tools and spares in the cavernous tool box and also the knowledge to fix it by the side of the road.

If the GS should ever break down I would just have to call the rescue service as there is just so much technolgy.

You should know Chris after what was it the Tiger or was it the S that broke a fuel connection and you had to abandon it at the side of the road.

I remeber one year the day before a trip to the Bol the bike was sitting on the drive ready to rock and I noticed a pool of oil underneath it, oh bugger it was the main crankshaft seal that had let go.

No problem nip off to the local BMW dealership and buy a new one, back wheel out swing arm and shaft out etc etc etc 3 hours later good as new.

They may be old technology but it is technology that you can fix yourself.

Bob

winger

Postby winger » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:04 am

Boxadog 2000 wrote:Nah not rose tinted glasses just plain common sense.

If it broke down I had enough tools and spares in the cavernous tool box and also the knowledge to fix it by the side of the road.

If the GS should ever break down I would just have to call the rescue service as there is just so much technolgy.

You should know Chris after what was it the Tiger or was it the S that broke a fuel connection and you had to abandon it at the side of the road.

I remeber one year the day before a trip to the Bol the bike was sitting on the drive ready to rock and I noticed a pool of oil underneath it, oh bugger it was the main crankshaft seal that had let go.

No problem nip off to the local BMW dealership and buy a new one, back wheel out swing arm and shaft out etc etc etc 3 hours later good as new.

They may be old technology but it is technology that you can fix yourself.

Bob

Bloody hell drastic or what abandoned at the side of the road!! it was a ten quid plastic connector that i could have fixed on the spot if i'd had one,as it was the RAC came and collected it and i went home and got another bike(the S),and that sheared the bottom shock bolt on the way back in northern France!!! fixed with an elastic band to stop it dropping out,well the half that was still left!!!!

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:26 am

@ BMWBob,

Yes, thanks for your comment and i will let you before i head down there and we go for a cuppa....Thanks and Merry X-mas.

Lars
The Power of Dreams comes true for me...
-----------------------------------------------
No more BMW just XR400R and CBR1000RR & Dark side - Buell Uly XB12X (and black is the fastest one!)

boxerscott

R75

Postby boxerscott » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:51 pm

:? What a cracking thread! Ill go and fill me glass up now. Have a good un.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

winger

Postby winger » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:24 pm

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:38 pm

hi Winger,

thanks for that.
i added myself to the watchlist asap...

thx Lars

No more BMW just XR400R and CBR1000RR & Dark side - Buell Uly XB12X (and black is the fastest one!)

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:51 pm

Looks a good un from pics. I wonder what the auction finishes on? any guesses?
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:27 pm

@BMWBob,

i might ride down to Frome on Monday during they day to have a look at the R75's at Difazio in Frome...
let me know if you are around and we can meet for a cuppa....

thx Lars

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:52 am

Hi Lars,

Unfortunately at work on Monday :(

Perhaps some other time?

By the way quite liked the look of the R80 they had on their site.

Regards Bob

Return to “Boxerbanter”