Best seasonal gloves?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

oyster

Best seasonal gloves?

Postby oyster » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:11 pm

Got all the rest of me well protected against the weather, but my winter gloves just arent up to the job.
I want a pair that still allow finger movement, allow you to grip the bar easily, are water and windproof and keep the digits warm.
I have owned some that after an hour it is difficult to operate the controls as the winter padding is so stiff and others that are warm but not waterproof and visa versa.
So which are the current favourites for the best all round job?
Even my Daytonas seemed to let in the cold today, must dig out some socks.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

davida67

Postby davida67 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:57 pm

After years of trying different gloves, combinations of gloves etc. the best ones I've used are made by BMW. I seem to remember the salesman talking about polyphase materials, but whatever the construction they're the best I've ever had. They have leather on the palms and draw-strings on the wrist. When it gets really cold (I guess it's on its way!) it's also possible to wear a thin pair of glove liners (bought from a walking shop) inside. The gloves were expensive, about £90 two years ago, but I would thoroughly recommend them.
The gloves are thin enough (even when worn with liners) to operate all the controls and are definitely waterproof.
Hope that helps.
Happy New Year.
"It's just a ride!"

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Ive bought many gloves over the years, and yes BMW's own are very good, but until recently I havent found a glove that would keep my hands warm when it got really cold, until i bought Gerbings heated gloves. they are no bulkier than the BMW winter glove, totally waterproof and keep your hands really toasty even in sub-zero temps.

Ok I dont have heated grips on my bike, but Im told that even those cant stop your finger tips from getting it.

im sold on Gerbings stuff, bought the Jacket Liner as well, really makes riding in winter much more pleasurable.

bit more money, £120 the gloves, but worth every penny

Thought Id stick a couple of pics in

---------------------------

iandunn1100ss

Postby iandunn1100ss » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:05 am

I have the bmw gloves too ,dry warm and enough feel for my daily rides. a great winter glove.
ian
Bmw r1100s 02 frost blue,bmw r1100s 03 blue,Yamaha tmax500 03 silver
Honda fireblade rrx 98 orange and bronze,aprilia rs250 01 black and red,aprilia rsv milie 99 black and silver

tripe

Postby tripe » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:07 am

Racer Pluvios from Infinity have been fantastic for the last twelve months in cold and very cold weather. Completely waterproof...so far and when you first try them on they feel too warm!
I would definitely replace them if needed with the same when required.
H

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:48 pm

I'm using a pair of Held Freezers and they're fine. £70. Very warm (too warm if it's ~10C or over), comfortable, easy on & off, waterproof and although 100% leather, incredibly soft. Only downside is that they're a little long in the fingers for me, but the extra length probably means better insulation.

James

Archie

Postby Archie » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:38 pm

tripe wrote:Racer Pluvios from Infinity

I'm on my second pair, enough said.

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:54 pm

Get muffed :oops:

Works for me :lol:

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Dainese Sprog Gloves get my vote. Used them on the Boxer Cup I had (without heated grips) in both cold and wet weather and very happy with them. Gortex liner keeps you dry.

Sizing is a bit odd so you do need to try them on before buying.

Regards Bob

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:50 pm

I'm with BoxerDog,.. Muffs and Fingerless Gloves for me. Feel like a Gaynaecologist,.. but hey,.. that works for me too.
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:48 pm

Until recently I've always used those cheapo Pathan 2 finger things from HG.

I get through 1 pair a year before the lining bursts - they are very warm but don't look too substantial from a skidding down the tarmac perspective.

Currently have a pair of Dianese Goretex gloves which seem to be bearing up well.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

winger

Postby winger » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:29 pm

God forbid i had to ride down from Manchester tonight between the snow showers,i'd forgotten what it's like to ride a bike with a pair of boxing gloves on :cry:

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:02 am

BMWBob wrote:Dainese Sprog Gloves get my vote. Used them on the Boxer Cup I had (without heated grips) in both cold and wet weather and very happy with them. Gortex liner keeps you dry.

Sizing is a bit odd so you do need to try them on before buying.

Regards Bob

Sprogs for me, too :thumbleft:

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxerbanter”