R1100S best bike-based GPSs with Euro Maps ?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:19 am

WHy do you want a GPS? To punch in an address and have it bring you to your destination, or do you want to use it for vacation where you prepare where you want to go at home and have your GPS as a guide?

For the first you can use any GPS, for the latter you are more or less confined to Garmin. There aren't that many that give you maps on your computer and the ability to create routes on your pc and upload them to the GPS for navigation.

So, if you use it for:
A to B navigation: get the cheapest you can get.
Electronic roadbook as well as A to B navigation: get a Garmin.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:36 am

Heard that GPSWarehouse are flogging off Garmin 2720 at £199.

Not as flash as the 2820 (i.e. no bluetooth) but has the improved graphics with 3D option. (only other thing that might be a limiting factor against the Zumo is the track facility, which might be smaller)

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Track thingie is smaller (I had one before the Zumo), but is enough to hold ~4000km, more if you regularly the save function. Should be sufficient for most riders.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

boxerscott

R1100s best gps mount

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Choices, Choices, what do we get? I want a-b navigation for my service calls in my vehicle plus HELPING to find our accommodation on European tour (to include Poland, Rommania) after a long days riding. If it lasts a couple of years and it goes into a hole in the ground after it fails then fine as long as I have not bought a bertie big bollocks item in the first place? :? What are the warrantys and are they typical on these items?
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:13 am

Garmin look after you long after the official warranty has expired. TomTom - I can't comment on.

The Zumo will cater for all your needs, in the car or on the bike. While I liked the 2610, and was considering a 2820 to replace it........... the Zumo does some things worse and some things better.

If you are trying to find nearby fuel/lodging stops while on the move (not that I would consider such a foolish action :roll: ) the Zumo takes less prods with your gloved finger than the 2610/2720/2820 and less concentration. The 2-series have a scroll down menue for that, which is a bit hard to operate on the move.

I always sum the difference between Garmin and TomTom thus:

Garmin = Professional

TomTom = Girlie.

Your choice :twisted:

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxerbanter”